Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Feels like creating a network system that can handle 100 players simultaneously isn’t something you can quickly patch in if you’ve been working towards 24 or however many for 5 years.

Thats because you aren't thinking with Craigs.
  • Doesn't necessarily need to be 100 players either.

8 months isn't completely crazy to engineer a new game mode imo: update the matchmaker logic, new game rule variants, spawn points, UX etc. Not that I have experience with AAA FPS development.

(I don't think we'll see a trad BR mode in this at launch but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a play on the BR formula at some point in the lifecycle)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It didn't take Fortnite long to pivot into a BR did it? Only a couple of people working on it as a side project too. Depends on how flexible your engine is I suppose
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s probably technically possible for them to have shoehorned in a battle royale mode assuming they started work on it immediately after denying yet another rumour about it and in spite of the fact that everyone was working from home during a pandemic, and assuming that they took the decision to use most of their delay after a poor public showing of their game to add in a new game mode rather than polishing what was already there, I guess.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Battle Royale mode development was led by Eric Williamson with Zack Estep as production lead. Their goal was to develop the Battle Royale mode quickly from the core "Save the World" mode, putting off any complex features that weren't already in place as to launch the new mode as soon as possible; while they explored such potential ideas, they held off inclusion until after the main mode was launched. The development of the Battle Royale mode took about two months starting in July 2017 after the "Save the World" mode had shipped, and was aided by the Unreal Tournament team.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, see above.
  • Thing is doesn’t save the world transition quite well into Battle Royale in terms of map size? Creating a BR size map is a massive undertaking. I think you can discount their denials though. If they’re in process of implementing a BR but aren’t sure how long it’ll take and whether it’ll work when asked you deny. You only reveal when you’re ready to reveal.
    GT: Knight640
  • It seems to me that they probably have an idea how it would work and had the voice lines recorded when they did the rest of the announcer work, just so that part is done. Probably something on the back burner but they'll launch it after x time if Halo doesn't land as well as they'd hoped.
  • That is absolutely out of the Sandtrap sniper rifle toolkit. Amazing scenes.
  • What's the perceived problem with sprint? Add a rechargeable stamina bar so people can't abuse the feature? Add extra jump/movement abilities, even a more powerful melee while sprinting and tie it to the stamina bar so you get penalised if you exhaust the bar. Haven't picked up a Halo since 4 tho so feel free to correct if I'm talking rubbish.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The issue was that maps had to become bigger owing to the addition of sprint which reduced the rate of encounters.
  • Can't they just modify team sizes per map? Also, allow sprint to be toggled 'off' on classic maps for people who prefer that style of play.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Toggles split the player base, and designing sets of maps around sprint on/off means creating two sets of maps.

They seem to have found a happy medium here by making sprint not much faster than just walking.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The issue was that maps had to become bigger owing to the addition of sprint which reduced the rate of encounters.

That was a big issue. It also reshaped combat because you can either move or fight and that is very different to how Halo used to be. Means that, for example, running away became a lot more viable. They’ve made that lots better because it’s more fluid now and because the gap between speeds is closer. We could just have had 10% higher base movement, even with a ‘sprint animation’ once you’ve been moving forward long enough. It increasingly feels like a pointless mechanic. And if it wasn’t pointless it would’ve detrimental.
  • Fixing the problem by making it do basically nothing doesn't sound like much of a solution to me.

"We have to have sprint because people expect it" is such a fucking cop out. If thats how you are justifying it, then its already an admission it doesn't add anything to the game.
  • It works really well, Dante.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently its main utility now is for triggering slides.
  • In what way? I'm not in this beta thing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It gives you more movement options, you only slide while sprinting and it will alter stuff like jumping and grappling due to the increased momentum. Maybe a stronger melee? It'd make sense
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    In what way? I'm not in this beta thing.

Crouch while sprinting = slide.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I assume, I wasn’t in the beta either, but that’s the logical way for it to work.
  • That was at Tiger, but whilst were here whats the point of sliding? Is it like shotgun sliding in Destiny?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s like sliding in Destiny, yes.
  • That was at Tiger, but whilst were here whats the point of sliding? Is it like shotgun sliding in Destiny?
    It is similar, I suppose though certainly not as pronounced. The movement felt excellent - sprint gives you slightly more speed but not enough to enable you to consistently run off and out of harm's way. It allows you to slide as well but that extra slice of speed makes you (as I understand it) appear on radars.

I think they've nailed it.

• Iirc, Halo MP maps always had 'hotspots' where the action occurred, regardless the size? Also, they could up the playercount to increase the chance of encounters?
    Imho, they should manage sprint/movement/melee based abilities with a rechargeable stamina energy bar. A bit like your energy shield but for movement based abilities. Depletion of the bar at the wrong moment = death because fatigue makes you slower and your melee weaker when fighting face to face.
  • Momentum based melees, I was saying they should do that in H3 days. However, with sprint it’d encourage mindless hold forward gameplay so I’m not sure it’d work anymore. There’s definitely potential for lots more depth to the CQC, however they did it with sprint included, but sadly I suspect they’ll never do it. Halo 2’s BXR (was that what it was called, Face?) provided genuine depth and skill gap in close quarters but ever since it’s been pretty mindless sadly.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Toggles split the player base, and designing sets of maps around sprint on/off means creating two sets of maps.

They seem to have found a happy medium here by making sprint not much faster than just walking.

I still believe there should be scope for experimentation and improvement of the gameplay loop while still giving the 'purists' what they want? Giving the players options in MP has always been a Halo hallmark and 343 shouldn't change that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Iirc, Halo MP maps always had 'hotspots' where the action occurred, regardless the size? Also, they could up the playercount to increase the chance of encounters?
    Imho, they should manage sprint/movement/melee based abilities with a rechargeable stamina energy bar. A bit like your energy shield but for movement based abilities. Depletion of the bar at the wrong moment = death because fatigue makes you slower and your melee weaker when fighting face to face.

That definitely would have caused yet more backlash among the community.

As mentioned a page or two back, the fact that practically everyone is on board with the current iteration of sprint is a small miracle, and it suggests to me that they’ve made the right choice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!