Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Maybe they should have just bit the bullet and got Ubisoft to make the game then...

I was just thinking about you hovering six feet outside of a chopper there g
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • This open world business sounds BATSHIT insane.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Not strictly open world but does gears 5 have full co-op across the campaign for the levels when you can sort of go anywhere? Closest thing I can think of as a comparison.
    Not sure. I will say that the open world areas in ODST in the MCC were completely broken when it came to saving co-op campaigns.

In fact, even most of the more linear games couldn’t handle co-op save points. When myself and Cosby did our play through, we had to always ensure that we finished a level before stopping otherwise we’d lose all of our progress. That could be much worse in a game that doesn’t really lend itself to a level select system.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The way they handled co-op in 5 was pretty shoddy. You'd be scavenging for ammo or a better gun and because someone walked into the next area you'd all be teleported to them
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s always been the Halo way.
  • The way they handled co-op in 5 was pretty shoddy. You'd be scavenging for ammo or a better gun and because someone walked into the next area you'd all be teleported to them

Just like real life!

SFV - reddave360
  • Aye, that was fucking ridiculous.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    As far as open world co-op games go, off the top of my tired mind I've got the Ghost Recons and Dying Light. Does Destiny count?
  • The Divisions and Far Cry games too.
  • Yes it does. As do all the MMOs. I refuse to believe it's a problem unless your networking people are dogshit. Oh wait.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As far as open world co-op games go, off the top of my tired mind I've got the Ghost Recons and Dying Light. Does Destiny count?

If Destiny does, it only goes to show that saving in open world games can be tricky seeing as you can’t save in the open world areas at all, you’re always booted back to orbit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes it does. As do all the MMOs. I refuse to believe it's a problem unless your networking people are dogshit. Oh wait.

Destiny doesn’t save though. See above. It updates materials and whatever, but you can’t pick up from where you left off.
  • The Division 2 is basically the entire Bible on how to do open world co-op. It's technically peerless.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yes it does. As do all the MMOs. I refuse to believe it's a problem unless your networking people are dogshit. Oh wait.
    Destiny doesn’t save though. See above. It updates materials and whatever, but you can’t pick up from where you left off.

So you can't have a savepoint when the other person bails? The game is so complicated you can't just save it at a certain checkpoint?  I'm not being funny but this is the company that couldn't get MP working for months.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, aside from in raids, but that was the only thing that offered any sort of checkpointing at all to my knowledge. Everything else, if you left before finishing, you restart in orbit and have to go through everything again. I think that was even true in SP story missions.
  • So the problem with restarting stuff you haven't even finished is what? Having to restart? Is that an issue now?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Depending on how Infinite is structured, there may not be options available such as there are in Destiny where you can quickly and easily load into the game at various different locations close to where you want to be.

Restarting can be a faff when you do have that option, if you don’t, then you’ll need to come up with something otherwise 90% of co-op sessions won’t progress beyond an hour or so’s play from the start of the game.
  • Unless this game is genuinely revolutionary, not having co-op at launch smacks of incompetence. I wonder which it will be?
  • Yoss you are trying to defend them too much and others are being a bit harsh. They are cutting features in order to meet the deadline, it's common in software development, it doesn't mean the game will be a disaster*

*it might be a disaster, but i don't think this thing is indicative of that.
  • g.man wrote:
    The Division 2 is basically the entire Bible on how to do open world co-op. It's technically peerless.

It was a shame that The Division 2 wasn't The Division 1. The second game is genuinely great but I burnt myself out on the first game and so wasn't that keen on spending more time in the second.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Unless this game is genuinely revolutionary, not having co-op at launch smacks of incompetence. I wonder which it will be?

Good point.

I have started to wonder if the lack of campaign information isn't actually to shield it from the public because it's shite, but rather because they've not managed to get it working on the xBox One and all that will be getting released for the older console will be MP.
  • A glorious disaster would be more fun than a competent shooter with loads of issues but it’s probably gonna be the latter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looks like we may well be seeing more Halo later today (although note that’s not an official source):

https://twitter.com/_XboxNews/status/1430287337884377093?s=20

There’s an Italian site reporting that the release date will be December the 8th too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unless this game is genuinely revolutionary, not having co-op at launch smacks of incompetence.

I mean superficially, yes: by definition they weren't competent enough to get it out in one go.

But surely you realise this stuff is complicated, and that there are commercial and project management decisions that need to be made, as well as technical ones?

I don't think we're in any position to say (in either direction) whether those decisions are being made competently. People have made arguments for why they think they have been. We seem to be having nonsense internet arguments beyond that, and are already going round in circles...
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    December 8th?!!

That’s sodding ages away!!
  • How many in here whinging will be outraged when the next crunch story blows up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    December 8th?!! That’s sodding ages away!!
    I’d take the release date with a grain of salt, but it would make some sense to me that it’s coming out in December seeing as Microsoft are launching Horizon 5 in November.
  • The whole 'it's oh so complicated to make it coop' just seems a bit bullshit, unless they're trying to do something very innovative this should be a solved problem by now, and it should be relatively trivial for a developer of that stature and funding to make it work. If it's just a case of a super tight deadline then that's fair enough, but they should be honest and be like "yeah so because we totally screwed this project up previously we aren't going to be able to get all the features in on time for the release".
  • Yeah.
    "Hey everyone we are a totally shit developer. Play our game coming later this year".

Some heads need a good wobble in this thread.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!