Racist
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not noticing colour is clearly nonsensical. It's like not noticing what colour shirt you are wearing. It's if it registers in a certain way. That the skin colour is as irrelevant as the shirt colour is what I mean when not seeing colour. (provided the shirt isn't too garish!!) :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I don't think that's what I was saying. I'm saying colour does exist and no point trying to pretend it doesn't. Of course you take people individually, but it doesn't have to start on a negative, which is how a lot of white people seem to see people of colour, then claim "we're all the same". I have a diverse family with mix of black, white and Indian, we don't all think we are the same, but we do treat each other as one family.

I'm saying that a significant portion of people use racial stereotypes to inform life changing decisions, and that needs to stop. Yourself, Andy and Davy make a good point about the detail behind ignoring culture and race. But there is such a thin line between the world you envisage, and the one that the eugenicists and racists imagine, that I suggest you take care in harking it. Even if I do understand the basis of your argument.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Our experiences feed into our biases too. For example I have always had a female GP. Ever since I was a kid. It jars when I mention my doctor in a conversation and responses have "he" in them - the presumption that default for doctor is male. I have a strong compulsion to correct that even though it isn't really relevant to the conversation.

I'd also consider myself almost gender blind now with a lot of things because I have raised two daughters who ,despite being quite "girly", studied STEM subject at university and I simply don't see barriers to careers - that might actually be there because of bias in others.  

But when it comes to many sports I simply don't have an interest with women playing. Boxing is the one thing I really could not watch. Some martial arts I could watch - there is something about the act of striking that really repels me.  Women's tennis can be more entertaining because of the lower power which can result in better rallies. I'm happy watching athletics too, Winter sports or minority sports. Again that's to do with my experiences. But the boxing example is something else - it's a clear bias on my part.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    As I don't knowingly talk to racists and eugenicists then I think I'll be ok. I also don't think anything I say to my immediate friends and family are gonna give the racists some form of ammunition if my message is we can all be slightly different and to accept it and be positive about it. To pretend that people are not different is more disingenuous and dangerous to me. That thinking seems to lead to the racist football fan bollocks of "level playing field" or the "all lives matter" when they patently know it's not. 

I also don't think people can not make stereotypes, be it race, gender, appearance or whatever (both negative and positive). It seems ingrained in humans. What is needed is education to identify that you do it and ensure it does not encroach into your public and professional life. But I honestly can't see how that can happen, outside maybe publicly funded organisations. Private companies are gonna hire and fire based on the personalities of the individuals running those businesses, that is never going to be policed. I'm seeing more D&I discussion at work, but even my first major meeting about that turned into a shit storm because the white middle class guys at the top didn't like it when it was identified that they were all white middle class men running the company (comes back to the stereotype, were they all the best people for the job or did the person doing the hiring identify with them due to aforementioned stereotypes?). That kind of thing is going to take generations to balance out.

But this is just my personal viewpoint that I voiced in a relevant thread, don't think it's a bad view and don't think I'll change it (never say never) but think I can leave it there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Stereotyping is an expression of pattern matching that our brains use to make sense of the world. It's a powerful thing when we form an opinion like that. We will always have to work at that but it's important we don't use that as an excuse.    A repeated experience will eventually trump that for example.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    To pretend that people are not different is more disingenuous and dangerous to me. That thinking seems to lead to the racist football fan bollocks of "level playing field" or the "all lives matter" when they patently know it's not. 

The other issue with people claiming colourblindness is that it’s a convenient excuse to hide prejudice behind and to allow it to fester unchallenged and unexamined.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    To pretend that people are not different is more disingenuous and dangerous to me. That thinking seems to lead to the racist football fan bollocks of "level playing field" or the "all lives matter" when they patently know it's not. 

The other issue with people claiming colourblindness is that it’s a convenient excuse to hide prejudice behind and to allow it to fester unchallenged and unexamined.

Absolutely. “I don’t see colour. But I do see poor life choices, drug dealing, low IQ scores”
  • "I see low IQ scores"

I suspected as much hon.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I don't see differing IQ scores tbh we're all the same
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've not read much Malcolm Gladwell, but one story that stuck in mind was how some white dude from a poor family, with a supposed IQ of 190+, went to university as a prodigious candidate, but left uni, because he'd taught himself calculus, the professor wouldn't accept his assignments, and refused to discuss his work.

He became a bouncer.

On the other hand, Robert Oppenheimer, the son of a wealthy fashion magnate, was apparently bad at arithmetic. He was so bad, his PHD supervisor and colleagues often had to correct his work. It probably wasn't the only reason why Oppenheimer tried to poison his PHD supervisor, but it was a large contributing factor. After an internal review, they decided not to kick Oppenheimer out of the college.

He became Vishnu.

I don't see differing IQ scores. I see bullshit.
  • I'm very much hoping you understand that I believe IQ scores to be bullshit
  • Also I'm very much hoping you understand that Malcolm Gladwell, regardless of the quality of his anecdotes, is a prime-grade bullshit artist
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Peter Thiel says a lot of shit about Gladwell too. 
    I don't lap him (Gladwell) up, but was put onto Gladwell by Daniel Kahnemann, so we'll see how history treats him. 

What I do know, is that the story about Oppenheimer checks out perfectly. 
    The same for the pauper with the sky high IQ.
  • Yep as I say nice anecdotes. Peter Thiel is also one of life's fuckers, what can you do, all the fuckers don't have to like each other.

Check this on Gladwell if you're inclined, courtesy (I think) Face: https://thebaffler.com/latest/narrative-napalm-kulwin
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Seems to be a scathing review of his latest work.

I mean, this isn't the thread for it, but the review does appear to chide Gladwell, in general, for his patronising style. The body of the review however, focusses solely on his latest book, and it's deliberately glib glorification of war.

It does make me think of him a little differently (never considered he might be a military hawk, or hold such a seemingly right wing worldview), but does that really take away from the work he did in Blink, for example?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Because boxing's always recruited from less-well-off groups, too much white success goes down badly in some quarters. White racists embrace it at worst.

I'd rather focus my energy on elitist sports that lock most of us out. Send the Wealdstone Raider to the row-rows and polo.
  • Gladwell on healthcare ain't pretty either.

Also, he's mister 10k hrs guy, and the takedowns of that are interesting.

Also, for a more obvious one, see his podcast revisionist history, there's an ep that discusses Julia Gillard as pm of Oz.

Its entire premise gets the fundamental and very well known to, you know, anyone in oz who's old enough to remember, history completely wrong to try and shoehorn it into his narrative.

Gist of podcast, the public vote her in then vote her out, except she barely got voted in. Took over as pm through party spill. Election not long after and parliament hung, forms government thanks to some independent mps.

She suffered because of rife misogyny, but the way gladwell tells it gets it soooo wrong and backward.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Gladwell is the gadfly of history, social commentary, psychology. He is a dilettante with interesting anecdotes at best, and a harmful amateur propping up dodgy world views with said anecdotes at worst.

His latest book is the same as all his books - some stories lightly told to illustrate his thesis which is usually banal (work hard to get good, your instincts are often right but can also be wrong etc) but can be nefarious (us airforce bombing the shit out of villages is better for everyone because badly defined and almost always wrong reasons)

His approachable writing style (“you guys are gonna love this”) just makes him seem more innocent and “woah dude” and therefore believable

It is almost impossible to enter his name or books into a search engine without finding hundreds of links to well sourced expert takedowns of his bullshit. Good writing and good stories (if you like his style) are no excuse for harmful bullshit
  • Fuck's sake. I find this out NOW? In my 9.998th hour of practicing ballet at home?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    @Funk Sure. But my point was about the contrast between Oppenheimer, who was shit at sums, and was all but caught for attempted murder.

And a poor, self taught genius, who was kicked out of college because his tutor didn't like him.
    Gladwell was my (initial) source, but what did he have to do with my point?

This is how these class and race based calls for justice are smothered.
    Through procedural bullshit.

That said, this discussion is academic, and I do appreciate the info on Gladwell.
    But I'll take him line for line, as I'd also done for Thiel (who's book was shit, fwiw).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Fuck's sake. I find this out NOW? In my 9.998th hour of practicing ballet at home?

:]
  • Fuck's sake. I find this out NOW? In my 9.998th hour of practicing ballet at home?

Alright, Mr 10 hours!
  • We call him twinkletoes now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • @Funk Sure. But my point was about the contrast between Oppenheimer, who was shit at sums, and was all but caught for attempted murder. And a poor, self taught genius, who was kicked out of college because his tutor didn't like him. Gladwell was my (initial) source, but what did he have to do with my point? This is how these class and race based calls for justice are smothered. Through procedural bullshit. That said, this discussion is academic, and I do appreciate the info on Gladwell. But I'll take him line for line, as I'd also done for Thiel (who's book was shit, fwiw).

Right right sorry. Gladwell just pushes my buttons is all.

Anyway that story is obviously terrible. There is nuance - Oppenheimer was clearly a hell of an organiser and administrator and had some serious theoretical nuclear physics chops, regardless of his maths - but this story seems to me a very common one, no? This kind of institutional racism and favouritism is endemic and I'm sure you could find countless such stories where by "procedural rules and policies" are abused by fuckers to defend their actions "I'm no racist, but rules are rules [for you, but not my white buddy over here]"

Which then becomes a narrative "if only they didn't break the rules eh" or certain kinds of people really needing to work very hard at never over stepping, never being noticed, never breaking any rules or even being perceived to break rules (work twice as hard for half the reward). I mean you're basically defining institutional racism right?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I also don't think people can not make stereotypes, be it race, gender, appearance or whatever (both negative and positive). It seems ingrained in humans. What is needed is education to identify that you do it and ensure it does not encroach into your public and professional life. But I honestly can't see how that can happen, outside maybe publicly funded organisations. Private companies are gonna hire and fire based on the personalities of the individuals running those businesses, that is never going to be policed.

We've probably discussed the NHS in here before, and while it's bad form for me to use anecdotes on this particular subject, many of the people I had been treated by in the NHS, across the course of my life, have been non-white.

Now that I'm older, I now know a few NHS workers personally, and listen to their stories about work. Almost invariably, when they talk about management, those managers are white, and English, though the primary care givers are not.

Even official figures match up to the anecdotes. My friends often tell me about the programs that had been rushed out to meet the BLM uproar... in a period of 3 months from about August to October last year, I remember someone telling me about being invited to some kind of BAME workshop almost every fortnight.

I think things must have changed now, because since October last year, the same person had only been invited to 2 further events... Stereotypes should have nothing to do with NHS hiring figures, but there's obviously some kind of bias there.

Anyway. I digress.

@face Jokic won the MVP, and the voting was almost unanimous, apparently. :D
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Right right sorry. Gladwell just pushes my buttons is all. Anyway that story is obviously terrible. There is nuance - Oppenheimer was clearly a hell of an organiser and administrator and had some serious theoretical nuclear physics chops, regardless of his maths - but this story seems to me a very common one, no?

People getting away with murder? You know, at it's root, that is what the subject of racism is about.

Also, imagine getting put in jail for a wrap of cocaine, or a bag of weed for decades, all the while knowing that one of the most famous people in history was caught bang to rights for attempted murder, avoided trial and punishment, and went on to take a high profile government role?

I mean, even you yourself just overlooked that bit.

Openheimer, was actually involved in a second incident where he tried to strangle someone too, not long after the attempted poisoning. The arithmetic thing is worthy of another discussion though, and not just one about race. 

But before we dwell on this, I'm using Oppenheimer as a proxy, not my main singular point of focus, because you know we can find a squillion other such stories, and turn this into the Tinfoil Hat thread.

And tbh, this convo has already moved quite far away from the point I wanted to make, about using Doncic as somekind of focal point for race issues, in an organisation that's often seen as a gold standard of race relations (and in itself the NBA, and the whole idea of it, is very far from perfect).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That 10,000hr thing taken down now?  I never thought much about but I never put much weight to it either. It seemed reasonable to me with respect to things like concert pianists etc., provided of course the underlying talent is present.  Ho hum.
  • It’s at best asinine. Put a lot of work into something and you’ll get pretty good at it. A study or two (not sure of quality but likely to be not great) suggested that “expert level” requires around 10k hours. Based on snot like “the Beatles played x nights, x hours a night, for x years in Berlin so that’s 10k and they’re pretty good ergo Plato” Gladwell wrote a bestselling book off the back of it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/21/practice-does-not-always-make-perfect-violinists-10000-hour-rule

I have a feeling this will be disputed for a while.

Gladwell reported the original 10000 hour thing, he didn't discover it himself, just popularised the idea that seemed ironclad at the time.

And the study that refutes it, basically suggests that people with a natural disposition to something, may take a bit less than (circa) 10,000 hours. Or that people who put the full 10000 in, might plateau.

As a shit Street Fighter player, I can attest.

So then, if I was asking questions, I'd like to see how 'natural disposition' to something is determined, especially amongst musicians, because that quite a level playing field, so to speak.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think the idea of putting in the hours is sound. There really is no substitute for it. But I mean that isn't exactly a great insight!  Putting a number to it is silly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!