Racist
  • Philip.

Everyone says he's a massive racist now.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, too slow.
  • Not followed the Pullman stuff. Not online enough? But read his apology just now which seemed good. Massive racist seems way too much even so?
  • The reaction to it has made me sit back and think about 'woke' culture more than anything else ever has.

He replied to someone and said that condemning a book without reading it was an attitude belonging to someone from ISIS or the Taliban. This was a reply to a white woman. Everyone is saying the comment was directed at 3 women of colour he had been disagreeing with.

Presumably those 3 had been condemning the book without reading it? His response just seems to me to be that of an out of touch man in his 70s, relating that level of control and criticism (burn the books!) to the sort of organisation that might do that. Once upon a time that would have been the nazis.

Perhaps I'm being too generous? I don't even know. It seems like everyone is reading the worst into what he said? But so many people have turned on him that it must be me that's wrong?
  • I mean I’d need to read more but the fuss seems to be:

- author write some dodgy stuff about some kids (haven’t read but potentially ableist and racist)
    - gets called out
    - defends herself and gets triple cancelled
    - the dodgy quotes come from goodreads: book extracts site, so reasonable to believe at least some cancellers haven’t actually read full book with context
    - Pullman points this out and compares critics to isis terrorist which is dumb (a. Why get involved on Twitter b. Why not be specific about what you mean rather dumb analogies c. Make sure you have actually read said book yourself)
    - people pile in on him
    - he apologises once he realises at least one of a, b or c above

It’s a bullshit nothing bollock from me Jim
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not entirely sure that you need to read an entire book to spot and call out racism or ableism, particularly as this book is a memoir rather than a piece of fiction.
  • I've just read some quotes and I'm going to hell for laughing.
    They are bizarrely juxtaposed as twee and blatantly racist.

"African Jonathan" fuck me.

"So small and square and Afghan with his big nose and premature moustache"

If I was to defend this, which I am not, I would argue the intent is well meaning, she means to speak fondly of these kids. I cant defend it though and neither should anyone else because it is so, so tone deaf.
    How it got published is mind boggling, this is surely part of a publisher's job. To say "errrr yeah, you cant say that and we wont publish it"
  • From what I saw there are passages in the white womans book (it’s relevant that she’s white) calling kids in her class almond eyes and chocolate.

Some Asian (brown) women highlight the trope of food in describing brown/black people because it essentially commodifies them like how food was imported and in the context that many were actual commodity (ie slaves) then perhaps it’s a bit dumb.

Then Pullman goes and defends the white woman author.

Then there’s a bit of a fall out as more people defend the white woman while there seems to be less defence from the white establishment for the brown women who raised the issue and are now getting abuse for being woke.

For me it’s a very intellectual debate which I think slightly undermines ideas about racism. Maybe if the white author called white kids “milkybar” or “Stilton” it’d at least show she just likes using food as a description but it’s not clear if that’s what happened.

Not really clear about pullmans defence other than he made it and he’s probably batting for someone he thinks is nice and the whole thing feels terribly horrific or whatever.
  • Pullmans apology is funny though - essentially apologising for not understanding the context where he accused people of not fully appreciating the context.
  • I don't think there is any debate - not anymore - about the language used in the book being something quite awful. It's more the accusations of Pullman saying the women of colour had the attitude of an Isis member that I'm not convinced of. I mean, it was clearly a stupid comment but from reading it I don't think it was aimed at women of colour at all. It was aimed at the white woman talking about not reading Ayn Rand and still judging it.

I think I need to quit Twitter. It's fucking horrible on there.
  • Twitter is a shithole. And addictive shithole.

Btw, i think the descriptions used were racist but I think the over intellectualisation of presenting the racism was not really the best method. For me it felt like it reduced the racism to something closer to a game. I think it would have sufficed to just say using dehumanising words is the problem. Racism affects people more on a guts level I think. I don’t know it’s just how I felt about it.
  • I just think Pullman was an idiot for publicly comparing anything to Isis/Taliban. It’s like comparing someone to the Nazis - if you stoop to that comparison, you’ve already lost the argument.
  • Agree he is a dolt.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I just think Pullman was an idiot for publicly comparing anything to Isis/Taliban. It’s like comparing someone to the Nazis - if you stoop to that comparison, you’ve already lost the argument.

Using the name of the Taliban as a slur because it's in the current news cycle, is shitty.
    But on the scale of Innocuous -> Danny Baker -> Tommy Robinson, Pullman's comment in isolation is merely misguided. 

But his intention is to defend a clear example of stereotyping with, the fuck... A stereotype!
    Which is stereotypically bigoted behaviour.

And this would be a stereotypical response.

I think the original question that Crayon pointed out, is a fair and direct one for the author herself to answer though ('why are you using that kind of language?'). And it's fair for Pullman to take a side. But why he'd want to enter a debate regarding racism against central asians, with a comment about the war in Afghanistan is suspect, coming from a man I'm guessing is well known, and highly intelligent.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    To aid Crayon's summary, for anyone with a fleeting interest:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58151144

It's actually quite a deep story, seeing as this is all about the memoirs of a teacher.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Fucking hell! Channeling her inner Prince Phillip!
    I mean, this is what she thinks of the kids she actually 'liked'.

E7zKMiWWEAw9-0f?format=jpg&name=medium

Somehow exhibits a remarkable level of 'cultural awareness'...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If the words "and Afghan", "and Pakistani" and maybe "is Moroccoan, and" were to be removed from that text what would the result be?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nonsensical.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The mere fact that she described them as looking so Pakistani or Afghan is part of the problem. The move into the simile about the bazaar is even worse. It’s a clear case of othering, treating these two based on their heritage rather than who they are as individuals.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. It's the connection with the nationality that causes the problems. We overlay our pre-conceptions onto what we see as well. It's back to how wired we are to spot patterns. We need to be more aware of it because it can blind you.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The mere fact that she described them as looking so Pakistani or Afghan is part of the problem. The move into the simile about the bazaar is even worse. It’s a clear case of othering, treating these two based on their heritage rather than who they are as individuals.

Completely disagree, if I mentioned a Dutch or Swedish friend, you would think twice about it. If she'd used Paki instead of Pakistani, which is what I tried to pull Jim Davidson up for a while ago, then yeah that's a slur

Intent is more important than language, regions have traits, these are used descriptively not qualitatively in what I read above
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve literally never heard anyone describe anyone else as looking “so” Dutch or Swedish.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But that isn't the point. She made no qualitative judgement merely descriptors. It wouldn't be horrible to say that someone "looked Swedish" or "looked Dutch" due to being blonde or tall, those are both common takes to those regions

If I said "lanky horrible Dutch cunt" that's different
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't know why she's putting so much focus and emphasis on their race and culture. Even if you take that out of it I probably still wouldn't like it, it's like she's observing wildlife or aliens or something
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    But that isn't the point. She made no qualitative judgement merely descriptors. It wouldn't be horrible to say that someone "looked Swedish" or "looked Dutch" due to being blonde or tall, those are both common takes to those regions

If I said "lanky horrible Dutch cunt" that's different

But she didn’t say they looked Pakistani or Afghan, she said they looked so Pakistani and Afghan and then segued into a simile about them being in an ancient bazaar.
  • What does looking Afghan or Pakistani even mean though? If it's the qualifiers after (with his big nose and premature mustache/with his long lashed eyes and glossy hair) then what does the nationality mentioned add? If it's not that, well, what does it mean?

I've absolutely no idea what traits are attempted to being described, and if it's the ones she puts in it's redundant first of all, and secondly not something I've ever heard of.
  • There are clearly racial traits that are present in individuals that informs one to assume some heritage. To deny their existence is fallacious, to comment upon them racist? I don't know.
  • It is a lazy adjective though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!