Racist
  • Apart from this take: stay the fuck off Twitter you dumb shits
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Elf and others here have used the term "coconut" a few times. It's not something I'd feel comfortable saying, as a honky, but given the context and the person affected, I'd have to say I don't get why she's being punished for the terms she used.

Imo I think it’s okay to use it in a friendly way amongst friends but I don’t have truck with dishing it out.

It’s certainly got no business being defended as used term in academia.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/16/uk-academic-sues-university-losing-role-critical-race-theory-row-leeds-beckett I’m going to summarise this one as, “if I’m a critical theorist I get to call black people names on Twitter that they deem racist.” But it’d be interesting to hear different takes.

What's the root of your take?

Whether the use of terms like 'coconut' are racist, given the complexity of their origin?

I personally think, at least, the university was right to punish an official for using crass language in a public spat. I think most people would agree with the application of some kind of punishment, even if she was merely calling the dude a 'prick'. 

For a start, I don't know if there are rules against uni staff making politically partial comments public, but even if there weren't, not many organisations would want their staff sitting front and centre in a political row with racial connotations. 

And as a 'Critical Race Theorist', you'd expect a lecturer to know that such language is racially 'charged' and will clearly be seen as incendiary. If she didn't, then I'm sure some of her classes will be a good laugh.

I don't think she has a right to sue (if this is her deeply held 'belief', then she's part of the problem). But if she apologised first, and appealed for her role to be re-instated, I think she'd probably get a better result for herself.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Facebook's recommendation algorithms have been flagged for racism:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58462511
  • This is like the umpteenth time ai has been caught for this shit.

Why do I feel the issue is fundamentally white tech bros gonna tech bro?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'd mostly agree. Tbf, where these systems are set up to go through large collections of trashy comments and ropey memes, you could give a benefit of a doubt and blame it on the audience. But this reeks, at the very least, of negligence.

At worse, the lizards need to clear out the tray.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The facial recognition aspect of it makes for uncomfortable reading.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I mean didn’t Google deal with this by firing one of their AI lead researchers when she tried to publish a paper on several fundamental flaws in ML which leads to biased AI? The lizards are quite happy with their shitty tray I think
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The facial recognition aspect of it makes for uncomfortable reading.

Kenny.gif
  • I'd mostly agree. Tbf, where these systems are set up to go through large collections of trashy comments and ropey memes, you could give a benefit of a doubt and blame it on the audience. But this reeks, at the very least, of negligence.

At worse, the lizards need to clear out the tray.

I'd say this is currently the main problem with AI. AI learns through crawling through datasets and if your main dataset is the internet (aka society 'unfiltered') you're going to teach it human culture/habits including all the awful racist biases. Especially if the AI learns through assumptions like a human. Dumb techbros never learn do they?

It's like looking into a mirror and being spooked at what you see as you expected a photoshopped wholesome image of oneself. Instead, the mirror gives you the ugly pic warts and all.

Techbros gonna techbro.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @escape...... coffee splutter.

:)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Caught something on TV this morn about the possibility of teams walking off if racial abuse happens on the football field. Im surprised it has taken this long to consider it. It would start self policing in the stands for one thing.
  • I reckon there would absolutely be ‘fans’ trying to game that system. “If they walk off, we win the league on points” etc etc.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I reckon there would absolutely be ‘fans’ trying to game that system. “If they walk off, we win the league on points” etc etc.

Cool, let them, and then let the FA deal with that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Your team loses every week because you're a racist so you get relegated.

Granted there will be the odd sods trying to get themselves in the other team but they will be drowned out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think it's such a great fix. Players need support though with no lawyers waving contracts in their faces. Fuck them. Walk off lads. No players no product to sell.
  • davyK wrote:
    I think it's such a great fix. Players need support though with no lawyers waving contracts in their faces. Fuck them. Walk off lads. No players no product to sell.

The decision shouldnt be on the players. It should be made by the manager or even higher up. This takes the burden off players who might be new to a club or just getting a run in the team etc.

It should become part of Club policy. I wonder can how the TV contracts /sponsership might be affected but that might be the real battleground.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It clearly needs the Premiership/FA/UEFA/FIFA involved I think, cos teams have walked off before and have generally then been penalised...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    But if all teams do it......and keep doing it.
  • Facebook's recommendation algorithms have been flagged for racism:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58462511

Tangent alert, but I'll bring it back....

This thread about one of the sokal squared fucktards mentions a book that may be worth hunting down.

Weapons of math destruction by Cathy O'Neil. Seems to be very much about the assumptions that lead to this BS.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBerube1/status/1372627537491279882?s=19
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Caught something on TV this morn about the possibility of teams walking off if racial abuse happens on the football field. Im surprised it has taken this long to consider it. It would start self policing in the stands for one thing.

Yeah. I think Gareth Bale raised it at the start of the week. This is exactly the kind of 'piecemeal' punishment I'm advocating, and for a certain aspect of racism in sport, it will make a huge difference. I'd go one further, and also use those rules to manage pricks like the idiots who threw that water bottle at Payet recently. 

Yeah, they're getting paid a squillion a month, but they don't deserve that.

Facewon wrote:
    Facebook's recommendation algorithms have been flagged for racism: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58462511
    Tangent alert, but I'll bring it back.... This thread about one of the sokal squared fucktards mentions a book that may be worth hunting down. Weapons of math destruction by Cathy O'Neil. Seems to be very much about the assumptions that lead to this BS. https://twitter.com/MichaelBerube1/status/1372627537491279882?s=19

I'd actually been tempted to buy that a few months back. The world's been going down a funny road, ever since the Nazi's gave IBM that government contract.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    Players abandoning matches in response to racism has been mooted for as long as I can remember. I’d love to see it happen, but I’ll be amazed if it ever does.

Sadly, I agree.

But , it remains the one thing that would make the administration of the sport take things seriously.
  • Janey Godley finally getting her comeuppance, is it? Class. Absolutely class so it is.

Complete idiot of a person.
  • Good. In the bin with her.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • “I’m married to a big Glasgow gangster don’t you know …”

Fucking tiresome.
  • QUICK.
    SOMEBODY HAS POISONED THE OFFICE OF THE MAYOR!

old-school-batman.gif
  • I...er what did they say that was so hate-filled and divisive? the article doesn't make that clear
  • Cannot summon energy to react to Mailshit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!