££££€€€¥¥$$
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Oh great, page turn...
  • On top of everything else that is awful about the Mail and Wootton, that’s just shit writing. No mention at all of what Khan and others are accused of saying/writing, just a vague attempt to wind people up.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Radacanu...

Poor girl.

Thought it was really cool for her to have won the US Open, and given this country's luck with, and love for tennis, I can understand some aspect of the fervency. Perhaps might even overlook a few lewd comments from some random people, because she's like, quite crisp, and I get that.

If she wants to make something of her 'visage', that's good for her (and us 'hurr hurr'). But just celebrate her win, and stop using her to force ideas and opinions down everyone's throats. Or at least wait until she herself is ready to do so.

She's probably still hanging from the celebration.

I think I understand Naomi Osaka a little better now, because of this shit.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Agree, Dyno - thought this was a thoughtful exploration of potential "liberal" exploitation of her victory, as a kind of "see? look how great immigration is really" idea/opinion-shove:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/13/emma-raducanu-triumph-good-immigrants-boris-johnson-nigel-farage-hypocrisy
  • I didn't read the 'article' but I'm guessing the curtain-twitchers and armchair generals of Former Great Britain don't appreciate being reminded of her heritage.
  • Didn't the Raducanu thing spring from Farage tweeting congratulations to her, then people reminding him of his previously stated opinions on Romanians coming to the UK?
  • It's not an angle I care for, but my head spins at the irony and hypocrisy woven into their worldview
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Romanians are the fucking best tbf. Treated like a King by the missus' family.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Agree, Dyno - thought this was a thoughtful exploration of potential "liberal" exploitation of her victory, as a kind of "see? look how great immigration is really" idea/opinion-shove: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/13/emma-raducanu-triumph-good-immigrants-boris-johnson-nigel-farage-hypocrisy

I find the sexism more alarming than the jingoism in this case.
    If this was a bloke, someone would raise their heritage, sure. But there'd be fewer dog whistles.

Hope it dies down by the end of the week. Or at the very least, I hope the media cede control of her life back to her.

Deep power vacuum in the women's game right now though. Shit is hype.
  • Mixed race kids get all the attention from the eyeball economy because theorethicaly they have twice (thrice?) the media appeal because of their ancestry.
    The catch is, they need to keep winning. Otherwise, it won't be long before the racial slurs start. Not to mention the sexism on top.
  • The front page of the Mail today only has a few words on Rabucanu and used them to describe what she is wearing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Let's not forget the tabloids had a countdown to Charlotte Church's 16th birthday and talked about her 'womanly shape' etc.

If anyone reads any if that shit, get ye in't bin.

Edit: they actually didn't but The Sun posted a pic of her at 15 talking about her tits.
  • Romanians are the fucking best tbf. Treated like a King by the missus' family.

Not having a go but this comment is kind of as blind as "Romanians are all awful". Good people are good people and assholes are not specific to race or nationality.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Bbc today, "she's mixed race so she can really leverage that globally if she chooses to". "Very matketable".
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Well yes, there are cunts and arseholes in every race or nationality. We almost got robbed in Bucharest by two Romanians.

Just pointing out the fact that the interactions I've had with those I've met have been fantastic. Was more in passing to the infamous Farage tweet than an outright generalisation.
  • Well yes, there are cunts and arseholes in every race or nationality. We almost got robbed in Bucharest by two Romanians.

Just pointing out the fact that the interactions I've had with those I've met have been fantastic.

Most people are good though. Thats why the real dickheads stand out. In ireland romanians get a very bad rap (that good old casual Irish racism, linked in with the gypsy thing) and sure some of them do cause problems but ive worked with so many who were grand.

Nationality is no indication of anything other than a persons birthplace. Even with culture, theres some common things but many other factors come into play.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I mean I kinda agree but having gone deep into Romanian culture and tradition the past few years, it's an incredibly warm, welcoming, lovely thing. Something you don't see so much in our culture on the day to day (well, at least I dont).

Nationality itself, obviously, isn't a direct relation as its literally just where the pot luck of the spunk dictates you are born, but culture can definitely play a big part in the perception.

I've felt far more welcome when there than I have on any subsequent visit to parts of the UK. I come from a family who, in general, followed that racist view of Romanians/East Europeans and do feel guilt at being in the bloodline of that after the past few years.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Bbc today, "she's mixed race so she can really leverage that globally if she chooses to". "Very matketable".

Yeah. It's sick, innit? 
    That really shouldn't be coming from the BBC.

They're turning into a fucking Armando Iannucci sketch.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck me.  There are times when I challenge myself as to my biases - but the girl's ethnicity simply didn't occur to me. That comforts me but hearing that shit doesn't make me hopeful.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Bbc today, "she's mixed race so she can really leverage that globally if she chooses to". "Very matketable".
    Yeah. It's sick, innit?  That really shouldn't be coming from the BBC. They're turning into a fucking Armando Iannucci sketch.

BBC are very much ruled by the right-wing now and will continue to move further and further in that direction.

I'd honestly rather watch any other news channel than the BBC, even GB News, at least they don't pretend to be balanced.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Fuck me.  There are times when I challenge myself as to my biases - but the girl's ethnicity simply didn't occur to me. That comforts me but hearing that shit doesn't make me hopeful.

Lol. If I'm honest, I see her as Canadian from what little I've read. Like Lennox Lewis and Owen Hargreaves (ask him about 'marketability'. Potentially one of the best England players ever, overlooked by the Beckham hype train). 

But I definitely saw a dumb ass proxy war coming, if she ever did as much as make a semi-final. 

And now here we are.

@bor1s - This is how out of touch I am with what's happening with the media. I thought the Beeb were ok. I just try to work around it by reading some stories twice or more.
  • That’s…not true is it? GB news certainly does pretend to be balanced. They have to be due to impartiality constraints.

As for the BBC piece - well, as distasteful as it is, they’re quoting marketing and branding types who are telling their truth: she IS very marketable and she does stand to make a lot of money, if that’s what she wants. China loves her, she’s happy looking, answers questions well: carefully and positively, and she’s fucking genius at tennis, the highest earning woman’s sport
  • I certainly don’t “see” her as anything other than what she wants to be seen as herself. She claims she’s British due to her growing up here as living in London since she was 2, that’s good enough for me, who gives a shit anyway?

I mean if you DO give a shit I’d say Canadian is the last one to pick: she only lived there until she was two (no memories) and her parents are Chinese and Romanian. How does that equate to Canadian - simple accident of birth??
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Yeah. It's sick, innit?  That really shouldn't be coming from the BBC. They're turning into a fucking Armando Iannucci sketch.

BBC are very much ruled by the right-wing now and will continue to move further and further in that direction.

I'd honestly rather watch any other news channel than the BBC, even GB News, at least they don't pretend to be balanced.

Some of you always say this, but I don't agree. They are hiring Jess Brammar to run the news! BBC always has and always will tilt left.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    If she's been in the UK since 2 years old, then I stand corrected.
    Thought she was on some Greg Rusedski shit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    That’s…not true is it? GB news certainly does pretend to be balanced. They have to be due to impartiality constraints.

I mean I like a bit of hyperbole here and there, so no I won't be watching GB News, but the top of the BBC is very much as the Tories wanted it with their news output being famously weak both pre- and post-Brexit, with little to no criticism of government.
  • The BBC doesn’t tend to challenge the government of the day too much. It didn’t with some of Blair’s most egregious stunts. I’m no fan of Kuenssberg’s gossip approach to political journalism but they’ve never really been establishment boat rockers
  • The BBC are middle aged, middle class largely cosmopolitan centrists who would consider themselves liberal but whose liberal views are often outdated.
    In the pursuit of impartiality they believe themselves to be left wing but fall short and outsource the right wing balance with wayward results.

Impartiality can go in the bin, it is impossible, I would rather institutions wore their biases on their sleeve.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:

Some of you always say this, but I don't agree. They are hiring Jess Brammar to run the news! BBC always has and always will tilt left.

This is from a while back, but it was funded by the BBC Trust:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/08/hard-evidence-how-biased-bbc

I’d say that they’ve become more cowed by the government in recent years as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!