Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was never a Clapton fan, thankfully, and had never heard about this, until Twitter today. What a cunt.

C24-E9634-B0-CF-4-C4-C-95-D6-5-CAA1221-D59-A.jpg
  • Man who made entire fame on blues rock there, in case any had forgotten.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, that's well known. He's made excuses that he was plastered at the time, which is true, but he's never properly apologised. His anti vax nonsense just piles up on top of that. Doesn't change the fact that Cream is one of the greatest bands ever.
  • Never read that before. Disgusting. I'm actually sickened, it's such an awful thing to say to a crowd.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy Sh1t.

What a fucking tosser. But then when did being talented ever guarantee otherwise?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Eg Van Morrison
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Premier league.
  • Yeah I've know this for ages too. I don't get the I was hammered defence either, because when you're hammered you drop your veil and say what you really think. Mans a complete cunt, but I'm with Kow re. the music. Art Vs artist again.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Yeah I've know this for ages too. I don't get the I was hammered defence either, because when you're hammered you drop your veil and say what you really think. Mans a complete cunt, but I'm with Kow re. the music. Art Vs artist again.

Yeah, I've been drunk many times and been an absolute mess but it didn't make me racist.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Yeah I've know this for ages too. I don't get the I was hammered defence either, because when you're hammered you drop your veil and say what you really think. Mans a complete cunt, but I'm with Kow re. the music. Art Vs artist again.

This. Sometimes what is said gets warped because of some underlying anger and that can be accounted for , but even so.
  • Did y'all cover that clip of James O'Brian talking to a caller, who was trying to explain what 'anti-woke' means?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I gave up when he wouldn't disclose the name of the course he was on. The fuckwittery was off the scale and I hadn't the energy to get annoyed about it. Even the smug timbre of his voice was annoying me.

What I find so annoying is folk who are annoyed at something they cannot define. Of course it may be that they will not - as doing that would expose the real issue with their personality, but I try and be charitable and think that some are just the frustrated disenfranchised who have been played for fools by demagogues.
  • The media does a number on these people. They believe what they read.
    Which loops back to conversations elsewhere on this forum about people not being educated on how to cut through it all.

They are victims of a sort.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This is my old hobby horse but critical thinking is key. It neutralises everything the media, snake oil sellers, liars, crooks, cheats and all the rest have to offer.

An education system that develops critical thinking is the answer. I hate to over simplify but any solution to social problems features that.
  • I agree with you.
    There are great teachers out there who do their best with it of course but the system isn't setup for it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great work from the Guardian. Heartbreaking and uplifting by equal measure.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I was never a Clapton fan, thankfully, and had never heard about this, until Twitter today. What a cunt.

C24-E9634-B0-CF-4-C4-C-95-D6-5-CAA1221-D59-A.jpg

Lauded music legend in racism shocker. Unsurprising, but honestly news to me.

Another one was Queens willingness to tour South Africa at the height of the international campaign against the apartheid regime in the 80s.

Brian May was particularly keen on going, apparently.

@b0r1s - Will check the vid later. Looks interesting.

A bit of a side note. In America and the UK, as we know, some cultural groups seem to discourage an interest in joining the police.

What is probably more interesting to me, are the anecdotes I hear, of foreign born police officers, immigrating to the UK or US, with years of experience, being turned away from the police. Asians and Africans.

I understand that it's complicated (standards of education and training before whatever else), but if the police really want to challenge preconceptions, that would be a place to start.

It's not likely to make an overnight change, but I think it would be something the 'People' team at the police should take a look at.

I doubt the numbers are large enough to make it detrimental to support candidates in this class either, but the message successful cases would send out would make a world of difference to some communities.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That Eric Clapton rant was a major part of the reason that Rock against Racism exists today.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-clapton-rant-rock-against-racism/

Edit: they may not still exist, as it happens. I assumed that they did, but I may be wrong.
  • Superb, Boris
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On a related issue, that prick Marti Pellow at a Wet Wet Wet concert in Belfast many years ago spouted about burning all the Catholics out of N.Ireland.  Cunt.

Apparantly.
  • Jesus, wet wet wet as well? Pellows mellow tracks have been a guilty pleasure for many a year. What the fuck is wrong with these people. Always thought if you were involved in music you might be a bit less likely to be a racist fuck due to exposure to so many different cultures etc. 

Think I'll just go back to bed. For the next year. or Ten,
    SFV - reddave360
  • Sturgill Simpson played a Clapton track when I saw him in 2019. Was quite early on and there was definite 'ehhhhh' mumble energy from the crowd as he introduced it. The racism is pretty well known afaik. Sturg was a bit stroppy for the rest of the show, kinda played loud and to himself, but that was the moment the room changed imo. Maybe I'm wrong, Guardian (maybe?) review suggested the whole thing was crap. Bit of a tangent I know.
  • On the one hand, I feel I don't want to know, just let me listen to the nice music.

But than that's as much part of the problem isn't it?
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    On the one hand, I feel I don't want to know, just let me listen to the nice music. But than that's as much part of the problem isn't it?

It's complicated for sure. I listen to a lot of rap, for example. There's a continuum of abhorrent political views in the genre, and I know, in some way, I'm tainted by that.

I'm never going to tell you to stop listening Clapton, just like I don't expect you to give me a lecture on Buju Banton.
    But I'm cool with both being banned from mainstream channels.

What's harder still, is determining how influential this shit is. But if you take the examples of Buju and Clapton, you could say they are reflections of their respective societies, and that's where the attention should really go. 

And despite how creatively, or politically original the top artists may seem, they still are very much a product of their culture.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/02/joe-biden-supreme-court-nominee-right-reaction-black-female-nominee

Also relevant to the misogeny thread. Interesting to see republicans react to the possibility of a black female judge elected to the supreme court. It's shameful and quite telling....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/02/joe-biden-supreme-court-nominee-right-reaction-black-female-nominee Also relevant to the misogeny thread. Interesting to see republicans react to the possibility of a black female judge elected to the supreme court. It's shameful and quite telling....

Stating " I am going to appoint a black woman" to any job is getting things off to a bad start.

It undermines whoever gets the job straight away.
  • True.
    But shouldn't a supreme court reflect the population of a nation? As the author points out, it's been a white male bastion since the US' inception. It's conservative white male patriarchy counter reacting to a changing society and a black/female threat. Conservative white fear of losing power runs deep and they will do anything to hold on to power.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • But don’t say it. Given the arbitrariness of the pick they could have just done it in secret and just done it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!