• * pittapattapittapattawhooooooosh! *
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I struggle to see how you’re going to have one person who is clearly and unambiguously better for this job than several others.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funks point about "the best candidate for the job" within the wider context of society addresses the question of fairness.
    Quoting myself for the page turn.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    * pittapattapittapattawhooooooosh! *

Look, now they’re screaming because you’ve skinned your knees and there’s blood all over the Axminster.
  • For the final time - I urge you to look beyond prejudices you hold about positive discrimination. It is not as simple you think - "best person for the job" is not as easily defined and unambiguous as you believe - and in this case, a black woman is (along with latinX women) the best appointment to the Supreme Court due to a multitude of factors which are unrelated to competence - which I believe we can assume as "basically the same"
  • He’s basically stated on the record it’s an unfair completion. If you can’t see how that would make it worse than I’m not really convinced about your other points.

If by "make it worse" you mean the reaction of racist and sexist right wingers, then I could not give a fuck
  • This isn't about keeping up appearances with nazi fuckos
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Again. It only undermines the candidate in the eyes of those who would always have undermined them.

Just gonna have to disagree on that one. Factually that is correct. I disagree with it as a method - not worrying about the rest won't solve the problem. On a pure point of selection by merit it does the person a disservice to be selected in that scheme. So even filtering racists and sexists out, there will be those who will doubt the suitability of the person selected.

I'm not saying I have a solution. No-one does. This is damn hard stuff. It's been tried before. I gave an example. It doesn't work.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    America is busted as a country. That's the problem.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Race is a distraction if you are thinking about the supreme court. Economic background is more applicable - having a range of those who got to be in the frame from different economic starting points is more important.
  • Mmmm positive discrimination is not all great, same as it isn't inherently bad.

Knowing that you're a diversity hire is undermining, because you walk in a room and people think they know why you're there. If you think that's a problem for the one discriminating and not for the one being discriminated against ... That's naive.

And after her appointment, the supreme court judges can nod at her and say they are diverse, get some compliments about how progressive they are being, but change nothing about their opinions or behaviour. She will always be a minority and if what she says isn't what the majority want to hear, or would require behaviour change that they don't want to make, there's nothing to be done.

And it's once again sounding like it's the responsibility of the diversity hire to fix the problem.

Positive discrimination needs to be supported systematically, not just at point of hire.
  • Which isn't to say that a diverse panel isn't needed, but this kind of thing is a sticking plaster for more deeply rooted, generational, systematic change that isn't happening very quickly.
  • Which isn't to say that a diverse panel isn't needed, but this kind of thing is a sticking plaster for more deeply rooted, generational, systematic change that isn't happening very quickly.

I think you need these sticking plasters in order for the slower change to ever begin.

Positive discrimination needs to be supported systematically, not just at point of hire.

And this is the best point made in the past couple of pages, I think.
  • poprock wrote:
    Which isn't to say that a diverse panel isn't needed, but this kind of thing is a sticking plaster for more deeply rooted, generational, systematic change that isn't happening very quickly.

I think you need these sticking plasters in order for the slower change to ever begin.

True, but I think we need something more like gaffa tape. But I then get stuck on what gets people of minority background or experience into the higher echelons of power. Unless they were born into power to begin with. In which case they're a different kind of minority.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Far more complex that race. It's economic background. Rich whites have as little to do with poor whites as they do with poor black people.

Opportunity from the lower strata would gradually facilitate improvement in multi-racial representation at higher levels. But it still takes some work and of course there is no way one can ignore race as a factor either.

Equal opportunities are required, not the enforcement of equal outcomes.
  • But, as has been pointed out by Funk; isn't race and gender the point of the appointment? To fill in the blind spots of the group as a whole? It's not just about the individual qualifying, it's about the supreme court functioning as a whole?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK wrote:

I feel like that only makes sense in a world where participants are starting on an equal footing. If one participant has been held back for centuries, another way of thinking is required.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This has nothing to do with equality of outcomes. It's not about it not being fair that a black women has not been on the supreme court before.

It's to do with appointing a person who will bring some balance to the court, provide a certain perspective that is currently lacking, and also potentially act as a source of inspiration for a large section of society that feels disenfranchised or underrepresented in government.

In this situation the best person to achieve that outcome happens to be a black (or Latino) woman.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's always a subjective choice as to who is selected to be appointed to the supreme court, it is never and objective decision based on who is most qualified. It is always who will be the best person to help me, and subsequent politicians of my particular persuasion, achieve the things we want to achieve to shape the country as we think best.
  • poprock wrote:
    But, what if say the selection pool is 80-90% white middle/upper class male and 10-20% other. Won't the 'selection process' reflect the majority population of the selection pool rather than the national make up? How can one address this issue without upsetting the majority of the selection pool mentioned above?

You can’t address that quickly without being accused of tokenism, which is what’s happening. You need to address it long term by creating a more equal society (providing access to education and opportunities at every level of the legal profession). And you aren’t likely to get that without more diversity represented at the top, so you do a bit of tokenism to get things started.

Or at least, I think that’s a fair oversimplification.

Not an oversimplification, rather the heart of the issue.

As stated by others the appointment won't be based on merit and the best qualifications, it's political based on party allegiance and political orientation (with a bias towards male and white).

I mean, Kavenaugh (almost a rapist) is in there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well, it turns out that a black woman is likely to be the best person for the job by almost any measure.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-bidens-appointees-can-tell-us-about-his-supreme-court-nominee/
  • The calls to improve structural racism and education standards are worthy and of course part of what should be the strategies to improve society, but I don't see how they are an alternative (like, one or t'other) to deliberately selecting a more diverse candidacy for high office.

It is a good thing to have more diversity and not only because of representation. It DOES lead to wider experience and knowledge gains, which DO lead to better decisions. It's a net gain, and the bad press positive discrimination gets seldom takes this into account. Yes it opens people up to accusations of tokenism and gesture politics, but as I say I believe that's more symptomatic of the deeper rooted structural problems of racism and misogyny, and I simply don't believe that a judge with the education, experience, knowledge and background of someone potentially nominated to the Supreme Court will worry too much about it, and will feel undermined by it - they will get on with the job of being an excellent judge.

But sure it's just an opinion. What isn't, is that we need more diversity at the top levels of civil and corporate societies and the sooner the better.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This was an interesting article. White, Republican, Trump-voting, law student takes critical race theory class.

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/02/02/mississippi-only-critical-race-theory/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    But, as has been pointed out by Funk; isn't race and gender the point of the appointment? To fill in the blind spots of the group as a whole? It's not just about the individual qualifying, it's about the supreme court functioning as a whole?

So what about disability then? What about LGBTQ+ Youth? The old? What about vegans? Why pick colour and sex?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I feel like that only makes sense in a world where participants are starting on an equal footing. If one participant has been held back for centuries, another way of thinking is required.

If there are equal opportunities you aren't being held back. That's the point. 

I know you don't believe that black people need multi-gen education to get smart. Nor do women. So what you say kind of doesn't make sense.

Equal outcomes is meddling. Equal opportunities is empowering. Unless you mean equal abilityxeffort linked to outcomes. That I can go with.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    But, as has been pointed out by Funk; isn't race and gender the point of the appointment? To fill in the blind spots of the group as a whole? It's not just about the individual qualifying, it's about the supreme court functioning as a whole?

So what about disability then? What about LGBTQ+ Youth? The old? What about vegans? Why pick colour and sex?

Disability is good, yep, and being LGBTQ+, definitely worth getting them involved (although considering the age profile of Justices, it would be odd if none are suffering from an age-related disability). They’ve got age covered, veganism is a choice, not a characteristic. Anything else?
  • davyK wrote:

Remember maths and those overlapping circles representing groups? You have groups and sub groups and sub sub groups overlapping etc, etc. Best to start small from the top working your way down when tackling stuff like this. Certainly worthy of consideration in the near future.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Davy, do you agree that it's an issue that no black woman has ever been appointed to the supreme court? If you don't, why not?

If it is because it should be based on merit, how does that square with the article yoss posted.
  • davyK wrote:
    If there are equal opportunities you aren't being held back. That's the point.  I know you don't believe that black people need multi-gen education to get smart. Nor do women. So what you say kind of doesn't make sense. Equal outcomes is meddling. Equal opportunities is empowering. Unless you mean equal abilityxeffort linked to outcomes. That I can go with.

Sadly in the upper echelons of our society, there are no 'equal' oppurtunities and thus no 'equal' outcomes. Hence the overrepresentation of white middle/upper class judges as mentioned in the article starting the debate.

Socio-economic inequality is growing and is still an important issue. Sticking to the status quo (middle/upper class white guys overseeing everything) will not cut it.
  • I love the idea that creating “equal opportunities” (for what? Artistic flourishing? Judicial excellence? Capitalistic endeavour? Gap year travelling? Illness avoidance? Freedom from Domestic abuse?) is somehow “not meddling” as if it wouldn’t take vast amounts of wealth redistribution, strategic long term structural change in all gov departments and deployment, and total societal change to achieve;

Whereas making sure there is proper representation of a significant minority group (black people) and a equal group (women) on the most important court in the land is “meddling” which I assume is a bad thing

As for picking one minority over another: you’ve been called out for that one, it’s not zero sum and better representation and diversity is to be encouraged wherever it starts.

Finally your last sentence gives you away: equal ability and effort linked to outcomes. Either you believe that a black woman has put at least equal effort and has equal ability to be on the court, and therefore we’re a-ok according to you, or you don’t, and then you need to examine yourself.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!