Racist
  • Besides anything. The main point I keep banging on about is diversity improves outcomes and decisions. You widen perspectives, you broaden experience bases, you bring new ideas to the table. It’s worth doing that regardless of “traditional” (ie: gatekeeping”) views of absolute objective capability (is: are you a white man)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "The Wisdom of Crowds" and all that...

We don't have an explicit Affirmative Action program in the UK, right?

But last time I went to the job center, there were a load of jobs held back conditionally. I can't remember the name of the scheme (New Deal?). Some of the conditions were around age, some, around physical capability. Jobs for ex cons too, by they aren't overtly advertised.

I can only think of one person I know, who found a job through such a program. More if you factor in prison release. The ex con group would make for a fascinating study (which I'm sure already exists). Society is failing them woefully.

Nowadays, 'neurodiversity' is also a growing concern, but I don't know if it's ratified by some government initiative.

I'd say one thing... It's natural to look negatively on a programs like these, if you yourself can't find a job. No matter who the beneficiaries are. But these programs absolutely should exist. I bet they pay their way too.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • You're dead right there dR. I know of colleagues and friends who have stories about how "the better qualified person" didn't get the job, the token diversity hire did. And I understand that frustration, at a personal level, and that it can lead to being anti affirmative action "meddling".

But the reality is this is wrong on two levels:

- I simply do not believe that it's that easy to differentiate ability in such an objective manner. OK if you're hiring some random inexperienced person , over a clearly more experienced and capable possibility, simply due to affirmative action - fair enough. But generally, how many of us do jobs that you can't get better at, can't learn from, and how many times does this kind of affirmative action actually negatively impact the person who didn't get the job? Ny follow up question in these discussions was "well where are they now?" and it has always, 100% of the time, been "oh they've got a great job now, yeah it didn't hold them back but it's the principle"

- the same point, again, that I make up there - that there is inherent value in diversity hires because it increases value of ideas and productivity, so maybe the best person DID get the job in the end
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, I’ve hired quite a few people in my life, it’s been exceedingly rare for me to have one candidate who is clearly better for the role than any other. More often than not I’m getting down to two or three candidates, any of whom I think would be great for the role, at which point it starts getting down to fine margins. I see no reason why increasing the diversity of the team couldn’t or shouldn’t be one of the differentiators.
  • I think I could do surgery.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    But, as has been pointed out by Funk; isn't race and gender the point of the appointment? To fill in the blind spots of the group as a whole? It's not just about the individual qualifying, it's about the supreme court functioning as a whole?
    So what about disability then? What about LGBTQ+ Youth? The old? What about vegans? Why pick colour and sex?
    Disability is good, yep, and being LGBTQ+, definitely worth getting them involved (although considering the age profile of Justices, it would be odd if none are suffering from an age-related disability). They’ve got age covered, veganism is a choice, not a characteristic. Anything else?

I don't think you get my point. Should there not be a requirement for all those groups if you are forcing the black female requirement?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s not a requirement, it’s a choice being made by the people doing the hiring this time around.

Hopefully other choices will be made when other opportunities arise.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Davy, do you agree that it's an issue that no black woman has ever been appointed to the supreme court? If you don't, why not? If it is because it should be based on merit, how does that square with the article yoss posted.

It's an issue. Of course it is. But I have issue with the fix of pre-selection. It's hard to fix and it's not only black females that are under represented. As I alluded to earlier, Ivy League WASPs have no valid insight on practically everyone else in US society.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Equal opportunities are required, not the enforcement of equal outcomes.
    I feel like that only makes sense in a world where participants are starting on an equal footing. If one participant has been held back for centuries, another way of thinking is required.
    If there are equal opportunities you aren't being held back. That's the point.  I know you don't believe that black people need multi-gen education to get smart. Nor do women. So what you say kind of doesn't make sense. Equal outcomes is meddling. Equal opportunities is empowering. Unless you mean equal abilityxeffort linked to outcomes. That I can go with.
    Sadly in the upper echelons of our society, there are no 'equal' oppurtunities and thus no 'equal' outcomes. Hence the overrepresentation of white middle/upper class judges as mentioned in the article starting the debate. Socio-economic inequality is growing and is still an important issue. Sticking to the status quo (middle/upper class white guys overseeing everything) will not cut it.

Who says we stick with the status quo. The process needs to change. And pre-selecting one subset isn't a fix. All that does is make the old schoolers game any attempt like that out of effectiveness.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I simply do not believe that it's that easy to differentiate ability in such an objective manner. OK if you're hiring some random inexperienced person , over a clearly more experienced and capable possibility, simply due to affirmative action - fair enough. But generally, how many of us do jobs that you can't get better at, can't learn from, and how many times does this kind of affirmative action actually negatively impact the person who didn't get the job?

Another one of those arguments that exist in my own head, and not on Twitter, is the fact that Affirmative Action kind of channels and canonises a level of speculation that an organisation would eventually have to apply to the hiring process. 

Every company gambles on every hire anyway.

Lord_Griff wrote:
    I think I could do surgery.

I hear that, but the med student from Leeds, is probably just as capable as the one from Oxbridge, right?
    And once they are both in the role, if either of them ends up killing someone in a routine endoscopy, they're both going to be in some danger of losing their job.

What might actually be more unfair, is the chance of the Oxbridge student losing their job, before the student from Leeds, on the same record. But if the surgeon from Leeds macks out with a 95%+ success rate, then that benefits everyone. And I'm sure the Oxbridge surgeon is in no danger of unemployment as a result either.

Further to that, you're also looking at this specific example for a highly skilled, chartered role.

How about focussing that lens on two Oxbridge candidates.
    They shouldn't all be coming from private schools.

The real fix, is to ensure the state schools have the same standards as the private ones.
    Then a real conversation about meritocracy can take place.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Suggestions Davy? Let's hear it.
    Not being condescending, I'm curious to ideas of possible solutions.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It’s not a requirement, it’s a choice being made by the people doing the hiring this time around. Hopefully other choices will be made when other opportunities arise.

I really don't get your point.

I understand this conversation was prompted by a proposed selection of a black female onto a panel. But why choose that? Building in a preference for one group discriminates against all other minority groups and not just the old school Ivy League WASPs.

hunk wrote:
    Suggestions Davy? Let's hear it. Not being condescending, I'm curious to ideas of possible solutions.
    Systemic change is required. It's far better that the selection committee be deliberately made up of different sections. Force the change there and the outcome will change and it will be fair.

I could be accused of making a circular argument here. e.g. Who selects the selectors? But if the people choosing people are a group that reflects society then it should ensure selection based on merit and naturally reflect societal makeup.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Systemic change is needed, nobody is disputing that, but systemic change is, in your own words, a generational project. So what do we do in the meantime? Just let things continue as they are for another generation?
  • I think it bears repeating from that article:
    Let’s remember: 115 people have been appointed to the court in its 232-year existence – seven have not been white men. Seven.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Systemic change is needed, nobody is disputing that, but systemic change is, in your own words, a generational project. So what do we do in the meantime? Just let things continue as they are for another generation?

I don't know. :)

But sticking people in there because of their gender/colour will only build resentment while undermining the people selected. That will jeapordise any long term fix.

I have suggested appointing a mix of people to the group of selectors. That could be done quickly.
  • I understand where Davy’s coming from, looking at positive discrimination generally. As a concept. But looking at the US Supreme Court specifically? They need a black point of view ASAP. And they need a woman’s perspective ASAP. Those needs are urgent, given the prevalent national mood and problems. (But I also think trying to tick both boxes with a single hire is … worrying. Makes it look even more like tokenism instead of positive action.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Letting things continue as they are will surely continue to build resentment in those unrepresented groups, no? While continuing to be a visible glass ceiling which may prevent people from those unrepresented groups feeling like they can achieve these roles in their lives, which could then potentially make it harder to fix this in the future if the next generation of kids from these groups have internalised, at a very young age, that roles such as this are not for them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Letting things continue as they are will surely continue to build resentment in those unrepresented groups, no? While continuing to be a visible glass ceiling which may prevent people from those unrepresented groups feeling like they can achieve these roles in their lives, which could then potentially make it harder to fix this in the future if the next generation of kids from these groups have internalised, at a very young age, that roles such as this are not for them.
    Yossarian wrote:

Yep.  I agree strongly that role models are a force for change. I see the attractions of forcing an appointment and but I see the downside too.

But why not set up a representative group who appoints instead?  A more drastic tactic would be to clear the lot out and reselect instead of changing just one.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely the only way to get a more representative appointment group is via positive discrimination, in which case, wouldn’t all of your objections about positive discrimination simply be applied to putting people on the appointment group?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, I’d be down for clearing the SC and starting from scratch, but the chances of that not falling foul of senate filibuster rules or getting a decent chunk of republican senators to support it are practically zero.
  • Less than zero.
    The republicans would never give up their stake in the SC.
    It would mean giving up the filibuster and their power to push legislation through.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I said that +ve discrimination doesn't work and have cited a large scale example of it. The police in NI had it in place for years and it didn't work. It looked good to start with but it decayed because of systemic and cultural problems.

It's a pity but there it is.

shrug.

America in particular is a broken nation. It has the race fault line running through it. The hangover of slavery is a wound that won't heal and probably rightly too. That cunt Trump used it for advancement and opened it up again. It's going to take more than some appointments to fix that. Picking a President who isn't a cunt and who isn't checking his pension fund would be a start.  The Democrats need to get their act together too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d suggest that writing off positive discrimination as a whole due to one example of it failing to work is short-sighted.
  • It's wood for trees stuff leading to circular arguments as usual.

"positive discrimination is bad because tokenism and undermining candidate"

In many cases this is true, and affirmative action on larger scales has other problems too, but in this specific case, objections based on capability and experience are not valid; it's a different sort of interference due to the way Supreme Court justices are appointed; it is powerful statement of intent which shows that the old ways of selection which led invariably to white people and overwhelmingly male won't be adhered to; of and by itself adding this diverse voice to the court will improve the court and can validly form part of the selection process as a result

"but why not other minorities then"

yes indeed, hopefully next time

"what is really needed is systematic, structural, generational change then we wouldn't need to worry about affirmative action because everyone would have more equal opportunity and Supreme Court would become naturally representative"

That's obviously true but is separate from the question at hand. It doesn't have to be EITHER appoint per selection OR change society for the better. Indeed perhaps this greater representation opportunity can help change society for the better. Also from a realistic stand point, taking into account humans and their evolved behaviour and mindsets, even WITH better opportunities I still don't see a representative Supreme Court just popping into existence without "meddling"

So we go around
  • I don't think anyone is getting selected for the court for their life experience beyond their legal resume, judges are there because of the legal positions they've taken or theories they've spoken about in the past. In that sense affirmative action has almost no consequense, this isn't a search for the wisest jusge in the land and hasn't been for a long time. People saying otherwise are either at it or deluding themselves.

Where there is a problem is undermining the candidate at the start of the process. That's a side effect of elections unfortunately, Biden needed to make a gesture.

The other big problem I have with it is that it seems a lot like this is a signal again that anyone can make it in America, no matter their race or upbringing, when the reality is that lots of people don't have the schools available for that to be even vaguely true. This is the sort of big issue that liberals can get behind with no downside for themselves.
  • so that would be arguments no. 1 and no. 3
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’d suggest that writing off positive discrimination as a whole due to one example of it failing to work is short-sighted.

I cited one. There are others. If it worked do you not think it would be evident by now?

There may well be situations where it could work. I wouldn't right it off either.

Life.
  • But it does work Davy, at least sometimes. There are examples all around you. Better representation and more diversity on all sorts of mainstream media outlets from blockbuster films to daily soaps via news and current affairs and cultural shows.

You think they got there using the standard old "best experience / best CV" for the job?
  • Literally choosing to draw a person from an Indian or black background in a fucking mr man book is an example of affirmative action that works
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I cited one. There are others. If it worked do you not think it would be evident by now?

This is one tool which may help to fix a deep-seated, centuries-old, systemic issue, not a magic bullet that will end racism.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!