Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So Star Trek was racist and illiterate?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Doesn’t need to be a connection. Naming a damned dirty dog after an ethnic group is somewhat bad taste, if not actually offensive.

I'm more offended by the damned dirty dog quote to be honest.

hylian_elf wrote:
    Doesn’t need to be a connection. Naming a damned dirty dog after an ethnic group is somewhat bad taste, if not actually offensive.
    I think that's the point DD was making. The only connection is "colour". Which doesn't seem like an appropriate reason to give the dog that name.

Hang on - people dont use colour / fur design to name their pets? Rusty, Red, Snowy, Tiger?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Maybe dyna misheard on the zoom meeting.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:

I'm more offended by the damned dirty dog quote to be honest.

hylian_elf wrote:
    I think that's the point DD was making. The only connection is "colour". Which doesn't seem like an appropriate reason to give the dog that name.

Hang on - people dont use colour / fur design to name their pets? Rusty, Red, Snowy, Tiger?

But none of those things are a race/ethnic group of people.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If it's named Zulu because it's black then I can see why that could be offensive. If it's purely a coincidence then I'd give the benefit of the doubt.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Calling a white dog Zulu would be... sarcastic? Like black people with the nickname Chalky or something.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If it's named Zulu because it's black then I can see why that could be offensive. If it's purely a coincidence then I'd give the benefit of the doubt.

I can’t see how it could be a coincidence.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How about calling a white dog Saxon? And the owner is in Africa.
  • there's also the chance that someone just thought Zulu was a cool name and didn't know where it came from.
    but as with all these things, only the person who did it knows the intent really.

maybe their thought process was 'well it's a black dog, and we can't use the n word, so next best thing is....' in which case yeah, obvs a problem.
    or maybe they got a dog and their 5 year old picked the name zulu innocently and at random.

or perhaps something in between.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's nothing remotely offensive about the word Zulu though. It isn't the next best thing after the N word in any sense.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Had the HR person's dog been a different colour then it would be a fine name.
    That feels far too simplistic - Zulu isnt an offensive term is it? And its rare that people name a dog a name that they find offensive (not saying it doesnt happen)  Taking the Dambuster one - regardless of the dogs colour, thats offensive. In this case... I just dont get the offence.

I think there's an inherent risk using that name for a black dog. Zulu itself isn't of course.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm also pretty partridgeshrug about this tbh. Like it's raised an eyebrow and I wouldn't choose the name, but I'm struggling to think of why exactly this is offensive/wrong.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    As Dyno raised the topic, it's worth asking if he finds it offensive, and if so why?
  • If it's named Zulu because it's black then I can see why that could be offensive. If it's purely a coincidence then I'd give the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.pupnames.com/dog-name/zulu

Seems its considered a decent name for a dog. Maybe it is innocent. But even if its linked to the colour thing - I'm not seeing it as an offensive term. Like Gurt its not a name I'd pick but is anyone here actually offended by the name?
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think I find the appropriation of a name of an ethnic identity to be given to a pet as a name a bit distasteful, more so than any connection with skin/fur colour tbh.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    https://www.pupnames.com/dog-name/zulu Seems its considered a decent name for a dog. Maybe it is innocent. But even if its linked to the colour thing - I'm not seeing it as an offensive term. Like Gurt its not a name I'd pick but is anyone here actually offended by the name?

I think naming your black dog after an African ethnic group who were famously subjugated first by the British, and then stripped of their nationality by the South Africans is, erm, misguided at best.

(Particularly for an HR manager)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    https://www.pupnames.com/dog-name/zulu Seems its considered a decent name for a dog. Maybe it is innocent. But even if its linked to the colour thing - I'm not seeing it as an offensive term. Like Gurt its not a name I'd pick but is anyone here actually offended by the name?

I think naming your black dog after an African ethnic group who were famously subjugated first by the British, and then stripped of their nationality by the South Africans is, erm, misguided at best.

(Particularly for an HR manager)

Yup, especially as I’d imagine that for many British people of our generation and older “Zulu” is associated with that jingoistic old empire Michael Caine feature.

As in, that’s the first thing that comes to mind, rather than Zulu as an ethnic group.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I guess it doesn't have any imperialistic connotations for me.
  • Tin has it right
  • Is the HR person or their partner one of those rugby cunts that shout "get it down you Zulu warrior"?

Those people are worse than racists.
  • Kow wrote:
    I guess it doesn't have any imperialistic connotations for me.

If you're struggling to see why something might be considered problematic, if you google it with "The British", there's a 75% chance that it will explain it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Zulus were actually extremely capable in the art of War / troop movements etc. They had a famous crescent shaped attack force and were excellent at scouting and intelligence gathering. Their discipline and bravery was extremely high too. Advanced technology was the deciding factor against the British - its why they caught the Brits out on occasions.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    How about calling a white dog Saxon? And the owner is in Africa.

This never works as a method to find out whether something is racist or not. The historical context matters.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's fine. Maybe it's a British thing then. I don't have any problem with the word Zulu.
  • No one has a problem with the word Zulu here.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow wrote:
    That's fine. Maybe it's a British thing then. I don't have any problem with the word Zulu.

Yar - makes sense to me that there’s nowhere near the same baggage for non-Brits.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    I think naming your black dog after an African ethnic group who were famously subjugated first by the British, and then stripped of their nationality by the South Africans is, erm, misguided at best. (Particularly for an HR manager)

For someone working in HR, it makes you wonder.

Indeed, if I did have to raise a serious issue, I'd outright do the outmost to make sure I go over their head to address it.
    Even if that means going outside the company.

It's a fairly large organization, and they're a middle manager posting in a 'frivolous' (like, a jokey) Slack channel, with about 200ish people in it. So I'm biding my time. Ultimately, I'm here to work, and it's no direct threat to me. But I'm keen to ask where the name came from, as a starter. And if I get an innocent answer back, that might make for an education.

But what are the odds?

Anyway, I'm not going to expect them to change the name, but I think it's fair to ask.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    No one has a problem with the word Zulu here.

Yes. It's not a problem with the word itself. Just the Semiotics.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If I was a racist, wouldn't it be more insulting to my dog to call him after a group of people I didn't like?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!