Racist
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    If I was a racist, wouldn't it be more insulting to my dog to call him after a group of people I didn't like?

Lol. In that spirit, we don't know how they treat the fucking dog. X'D
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Welcome to Ireland.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Well that was an education.
  • When I was little I remember my uncle used to have a dog that he named what I assume is the same as from Dambusters. Wasn't told off by anyone for it, and he wouldn't care either, unfortunately.

What's the deal with Zulu remaining in the phonetic alphabet? I've used it in maritime radio comms and it's probably remained because it's clear and all but impossible to confuse for anything else.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/26/pantera-shows-cancelled-after-frontmans-nazi-salute-prompts-fan-backlash

Always enjoyed panteras second album (the third as well) as just nice, fast thrash metal with some serious guitar work. This is just... disappointing. Scratch another artist from the Spotify playlist I guess.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/26/pantera-shows-cancelled-after-frontmans-nazi-salute-prompts-fan-backlash

Always enjoyed panteras second album (the third as well) as just nice, fast thrash metal with some serious guitar work. This is just... disappointing. Scratch another artist from the Spotify playlist I guess.

That's very old news.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yeah unfortunately he is either A a cunt B a complete fucking idiot to the point of being a cunt. I still listen to Pantera but wouldn't go to see them live.
  • Yeah, old news. If you can understand some of the lyrics on later growly albums the signs were there.

(I don't mean understand as in they're so deep you have to think, I mean, ya know, his diction isn't exactly A+)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Speaking of racist. It was invasion day yesterday. And there's a vote coming up for an Indigenous voice to parliament, so social media has been very chill and respectful!

*stabs pen in own eye reading any comments thread anywhere*
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    What do some of you make of the current police brutality scandal in Tennessee, US?
  • Not seen anything about it but my instant reaction is not one of surprise that there is a scandal.
  • What do some of you make of the current police brutality scandal in Tennessee, US?

Black motorist killed over a traffic check? Sadly not surprising.

Police officers in America facing consequences? Shockingly surprising.

Of course we know why these particular officers caught consequences. It's statistically impossible not to guess why.

I just wish the full spectrum of criminal police received the actual legal consequences.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Not seen anything about it but my instant reaction is not one of surprise that there is a scandal.

What Vela said, but the shocking twist is that the police officers are also black.
    Will make for some very interesting (and very nasty) Tweets.
  • Ah ok.

Unfortunately I think there is a long history of racist institutions and groups adopting individuals and being able to turn them on their own communities.

The British Empire in India is a perfect example of this.

Another is OJ Simpson. Plucked from a Black world and brought into what was at the time a super white college sports system. There are lots of reports of him being a total cunt to black people. His prize, literary getting away with murder.

When people enter these racist institutions they are never equal but elevated above outsiders.

Sometimes/often the racism is ramped up as if to deflect. I would put Suella Braverman into this category. She doubles down on the persecution of non-white, non-British people to show her worth to what is the racist party she represents, particularly the members. Either it's turned on or it's genuine and how she got where she is, both are shit.

That's my general take anyway. The solutions remain the same, racism has to be removed from these institutions, just hiring some non-whites isn't going to cut it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re OJ Simpson.

A visit was arranged to the Simpson home for the jury as part of the trial.

The defence lawyers noticed there wasn't a single picture of a black person about the entire house. They soon put that "right" before the visit.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Not seen anything about it but my instant reaction is not one of surprise that there is a scandal.

What Vela said, but the shocking twist is that the police officers are also black.
    Will make for some very interesting (and very nasty) Tweets.

I feel sad for the victim's family and friends. The death and circumstances are bad enough, but it's also going to be a highly prominent case that might make it harder for them.
  • There is a difference in how quickly the black officers were held to account, and how silent the police union is compared to when it is white officers
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    ^ Apparently though, there's footage, and it's bad. I'm not rushing to find it, but I'm sure there will be a written account soon.

davyK wrote:
    Re OJ Simpson. A visit was arranged to the Simpson home for the jury as part of the trial. The defence lawyers noticed there wasn't a single picture of a black person about the entire house. They soon put that "right" before the visit.

Interesting. But that's culture. Given that OJ murdered someone, it's hard to be sympathetic to him in any context.

But I hate seeing this form of 'intro'-racism... The whole that's not how 'x' people should act...

So whether you're in 'x', outside it, or are just a subset, you're telling me there are a prescribed set of behaviours that one is to exhibit, to maintain an identity that you find palatable/unpalatable? Kwasi Kwarteng is a prick, but dude's still Ghanaian, and far 'blacker' than many of the 'black' people who suggest/ed, in coarser terms, that he 'is not' black.

That's a whole other level of brainwashing.

My first thought, was whether any of the above idea, was a factor in this killing.
    Even without that component though, this is fubar.
  • Footage is released and apparently quite awful. Be careful what you click on.

I think this crime really illustrates two distinct points quite well.

1. American police are a brutal regime capable of absolutely heinous acts of barbarism. They are overtly militarised, revel in power abuse, and require a complete dissolution and overhaul. These crimes keep happening.

2. Racism and their corrupt police union is the reason why white police don't or rarely face charges, but black ones do.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Apparently, there was a white officer involved in the traffic stop who was quoted as saying 'stomp him out', or something to that effect.

I was looking up 'dereliction of duty', but apparently, that's a martial law, not a civil one.

But I'm pretty sure that's incitement of violence, which is a fucking crime. I'm quite sure of this, because (and I think I've written this before) the youngest guy convicted in the notorious UK riots, received the longest sentence for a Facebook post, encouraging people to go out and riot, though he did not go out there himself.

So in my tiny little mind of misguided reckons, at least one other officer, for sure, should be added to the now infamous five.

Also, in a possibly unusual betrayal of unconscious bias, I'm looking at the faces of the officers, and cannot find the kind of anger, that matches a depth of sadness that shook me to sob for a full 5 minutes.

I've been reading avidly.

I'm not going to watch the fucking video, but never say never.
  • Imagine how empowered and untouchable you have to feel to do this knowing you are being recorded.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Worth remembering that UK law isn't US law and US law varies state to state while being full of weirdness.
    So while I would agree someone audibly encouraging violence should be prosecuted there may be a quirk of law to why they aren't. I would file it under 'wait for an expert view' on that, it may well of course be whitey being protected.

I'm not watching the video but would watch a freezeframe/still image breakdown of it if there is merit in it. Basically I'm waiting for a Legal Eagle video because he is excellent at cutting through U.S legal stuff.
  • There is probably a law that says "Its fine if a cop does it "
  • Apparently, there was a white officer involved in the traffic stop who was quoted as saying 'stomp him out', or something to that effect.

I was looking up 'dereliction of duty', but apparently, that's a martial law, not a civil one.

But I'm pretty sure that's incitement of violence, which is a fucking crime. I'm quite sure of this, because (and I think I've written this before) the youngest guy convicted in the notorious UK riots, received the longest sentence for a Facebook post, encouraging people to go out and riot, though he did not go out there himself.

So in my tiny little mind of misguided reckons, at least one other officer, for sure, should be added to the now infamous five.

Also, in a possibly unusual betrayal of unconscious bias, I'm looking at the faces of the officers, and cannot find the kind of anger, that matches a depth of sadness that shook me to sob for a full 5 minutes.

I've been reading avidly.

I'm not going to watch the fucking video, but never say never.

From the reading I have done, it seems there are a few other people involved from other services too.

Hopefully more than those 5 catch consequences.

Did I read correctly that they posted bond? Or at least have the option?
  • ^ Apparently though, there's footage, and it's bad. I'm not rushing to find it, but I'm sure there will be a written account soon.

davyK wrote:
    Re OJ Simpson. A visit was arranged to the Simpson home for the jury as part of the trial. The defence lawyers noticed there wasn't a single picture of a black person about the entire house. They soon put that "right" before the visit.

Interesting. But that's culture. Given that OJ murdered someone, it's hard to be sympathetic to him in any context.

But I hate seeing this form of 'intro'-racism... The whole that's not how 'x' people should act...

So whether you're in 'x', outside it, or are just a subset, you're telling me there are a prescribed set of behaviours that one is to exhibit, to maintain an identity that you find palatable/unpalatable? Kwasi Kwarteng is a prick, but dude's still Ghanaian, and far 'blacker' than many of the 'black' people who suggest/ed, in coarser terms, that he 'is not' black.

That's a whole other level of brainwashing.

My first thought, was whether any of the above idea, was a factor in this killing.
    Even without that component though, this is fubar.

Some of the anti-racism stuff goes full horseshoe and ends up racist again.
    GT: Knight640
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Did I read correctly that they posted bond? Or at least have the option?

Four were bailed.

• Jesus Christ
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I respect that interpretation too. And I think there's an element of that in 'some' (it's very hard to say 'most') of these police brutality stories. Take George Floyd for example. He was a big guy, and for sure, if one officer, even one of the same size and physical strength (for want of a better expression), wanted to put a pair of handcuffs on him, and he didn't want that to happen, then it's reasonable to expect a police officer to use some form of force to control the situation.

I personally see two issues in these cases (including the Chris Kaba case, for which detail still seems to be sparse).
    The first, are the 'terms of detention', if that makes sense.

Point 1.

Here, we have:

- Someone who may well have been driving too fast
    - Someone who complied to a police order and stopped the car
    - Someone protesting their innocence at multiple stages
    - Someone who obviously felt their rights were infringed

I think the third (sub)point in the list above troubles me the most, because that's a plea, and if no effort is made to answer that plea, then it's almost fair to want to challenge the authorities under those circumstances. We're only going to get one side of the story now, but if he did manage to escape, and make the 70 meters to his home, then we would have more likely heard both stories.

This of course, is a reckon, but what's any argument of any standard, even a scientific one, without a reckon.

I digress.

Point 2.

At what point does an attempt to restrain, become an attempt to exact personal revenge, and apply a subjective punishment?
    The shootings, I think, are more troubling, because unless the police are really involved in a Heat / Menace to Society style gang shooting, they are usually dealing with unarmed people who just don't want to be arrested. One shot to the leg alone, would debilitate almost anyone.

Why was it necessary to beat a man so hard, as to cause kidney failure, to restrain him?

I had read that there was an attempt to use pepper spray. If that's the case, then I refer everyone to the first point. He stopped his fucking car. There is a very obvious attempt to comply with the law here. So I would be interested in hearing about when that happened.

So these feds' have the pepper spray out, they try to apply it, and then, they end up spraying each other!
    Apparently, this is the point at which the '6th' white officer was supposed to have said 'stomp him out!' (I'm paraphrasing). So you can see here, everyone's feeling exhausted, embarrassed, and they are literally licking their wounds. That bit has nothing to do with the suspect. That's pure incompetence.

But you can see how that lack of competence and embarrassment would lead a certain personality to the kind of anger that would result in an act of violent 'revenge'. Edit - The fact that there seems to be no clear code to separate revenge, from 'reasonable force', is one of the biggest components here. Where a suspect is unarmed, if they die at the hands of the police, then a charge of manslaughter should be binding. No questions. Just fire, detail and arraign (a very American sound bite I've coined there. That could stick over there, I'm sure).

I remember there being a discussion about George Floyd, BLM and the 'defund the police' mantra... I might have actually also raised similar points here.
    I actually did think then, and still think now, that police should actually be be paid more, when all is said and done.

But what I think that should be matched by, is a drastic raise in standards. Like a totally different police culture.
    Now, I know there are some officers coming straight out of highschool and lowskilled roles, into policing...

Long may that continue. Because while I don't have posters of feds on my wall, unlike the cultural cliche, I respect, very deeply, the job that the police have to do. I have the auto biography of DCI Clive Driscoll on my bookshelf. It's a very good read. I also know a very high ranking officer abroad, and his example on a number of subjects, are a model for me. Both came from the highschool / unskilled career path, and worked their way up to high ranking roles. Good police exist.

Heck, we have Andy. :]

But I think there needs to be change. You raise the wage of the class of officers allowed to carry guns, batons and handcuffs, and you change the job description to correspond. Those coming straight out of highschool / unqualified, won't have access to certain equipment, until passing a certain threshold. Make that threshold very high, but also very worthwhile. Perhaps managing a streetbeat these days should actually be on a higher pay scale than detective roles.

I really don't know what the details are, but that's my instinctive feeling about this situation.

Of course, I also expect, that even if you had a situation where PhDs were in blue and on the streets, you still won't get the desired results, without changes in the wider culture that the police aim to serve.

But yeah. This has really shaken me.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I have watched some parts of one or two of the videos. It’s difficult to know how much of the incident I have seen because I haven’t seen a continuous video. I understand there are 67 minutes of footage in total, as obviously a number of them have their body cams running. Before I go any further, let me be clear that, from what I have seen, everyone involved should be going to prison. I only say that because I’m about to try and explain why I think this might have happened, and it’s hard to do that without sounding like you’re defending somebody. I don’t want anyone to read this thinking that I have any sense of allegiance with these officers. The sections I have seen strike me as a strange situation where all of the officers there, for some reason that is not clear to me yet, have completely lost control. Unless they have had some sort of epiphany since, I would imagine they are confident of acquittal, because I think they think they were dealing with someone violently resisting arrest. It’s hard to tell because obviously, so far, what I have seen has been dictated by the editors of the news outlets posting the videos, but much of the footage appears to be someone who is generally compliant, but not always doing what he’s being told immediately because a) he’s initially baffled and scared about the way he’s being treated, b) at various points, three or four different people are shouting at him at the same time, c) what’s being asked is unclear (eg ‘get on the ground’ when you already are) or physically impossible (eg ‘put your hands behind your back’ when one wrist is being held and you are lying on the other arm) and d) later on he’s clearly dazed and confused from a beating, while also terrified about how much worse it’s going to get. There is a point where he manages to get up and run. If that comes at the point in the events that the order of clips suggests, then it’s a purely instinctive act of someone fighting for their lives. If it is the case of collective red-mist that it appears to be, then the officers will have seen that as justification for their actions so far, and what they are about to do, because they think they are dealing with someone who will do anything to evade justice. I have been in situations where a number of officers are trying to bring someone under control, when that person is violently resisting, and trying to do harm to others. I have also been in situations where someone is just trying to escape. It can be difficult to tell the difference between the two, especially if tunnel vision sets in. I have encountered situations where somebody has, for example, three large door stewards on them, who think that the person is actively/violently resisting, and all it has taken to gain control is to get on the ground, eye to eye, and calmly ask the person if they will speak to you if they are allowed to stand up. Everyone involved, though, has lost the bigger picture, and was now fixated on the micro-situation (sorry, I can’t think of a better way to describe that) of ‘must hold this person completely still’ on one side and ‘must get away from this pain’ on the other. Now, this incident goes beyond that, but I suspect it might explain the route to the very worst of the madness. There is a point in the security camera footage from across the street where he is lying on the ground, defenceless, restrained by handcuffs, barely moving, and one of the officers delivers a heavy kick to the head or torso, it’s hard to tell because of the distance, and other people slightly obscuring the view. It is cowardly and sickening. However, again, it is hard to tell how long it has taken to get to that point, and how long after the main struggle it takes place, so it is difficult to tell if he is still full of adrenaline, or if it is cold and calculated.

I'm not sure I follow. Your what might have happened is simply what did happen, but spun in a way that appears to try and leverage space in the debate for people to empathise with officers' stress

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!