Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    14 minute walk or 25 minute bus journey
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I travel for fun.
  • Am wel jel
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    ~35 minute cycle, primarily on the canal towpath, ~45 minute bus ride or just under two hours walk.
  • Day job: 15 Minute drive. About the same or less by train, but I get free parking.

Coaching: anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour plus.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Day job: 15 Minute drive. About the same or less by train, but I get free parking

Sounds like you get to park your train
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 7 minute walk to Lower Sydenham, usually done in 5 1/2 minutes as I fanny around at home too long and have to jog a bit. Train to London Bridge currently takes 15 mins as it skips New Cross and St.Johns.  Then it's a 6 minute tube followed by a 5 minute walk from Old Street.  Depending on how knackered I am (or how interesting my book is) I either read of sleep for the 15 minute bit.
  • I go on forum. Or read random shit. Or a book. It's taken me months, but today I finished One Hundred Years of Solitude. Apart from the disgusting bits, it was good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • One time I passed a peacock sitting on someone's balcony coming back from the office. Fuck knows what was going on there.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    12 second walk to kitchen. Make a coffee, 1 minute, 12 second walk back to desk.

Occasionally a 30 minute drive each way to various clients offices. Am trying to get clients smack bang in city, but no joy yet.
  • Currently stands at about 40 mins each way, whether I take the car, bus, train or walk it's about that. Mainly because Southampton is the single most congested place in the universe (possibly hyperbole, but I doubt it).

When I consider that I used to do a commute of 20 miles each way up north and this took me 20 minutes, it's kinda depressing...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I worked in Southampton about 20 years ago, I'm calling hyperbole:-)
  • I kid you not mate, this place has the worst traffic I've ever known. Takes me 40 minutes to drive just under 2 miles at rush hour. I can walk it in 35 minutes. Rubbish.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I live 2.5 miles from Belfast City Centre where I work. Depends on time I travel (usually by car) which is flexible. Between 10 and 30min depending on that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    I kid you not mate, this place has the worst traffic I've ever known. Takes me 40 minutes to drive just under 2 miles at rush hour. I can walk it in 35 minutes. Rubbish.

Tbf I lived outside the city, lovely place called Lyndhurst, so it was all country lanes, can't really remember much, except going on my first and only, blind date. Was fucking terrible, we both had no spark, no chemistry and neither of us wanted to be there.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    I kid you not mate, this place has the worst traffic I've ever known. Takes me 40 minutes to drive just under 2 miles at rush hour. I can walk it in 35 minutes. Rubbish.
    Tbf I lived outside the city, lovely place called Lyndhurst, so it was all country lanes, can't really remember much, except going on my first and only, blind date. Was fucking terrible, we both had no spark, no chemistry and neither of us wanted to be there.

I love Lyndhurst. They have a joint Maserati/Ferrari garage. You can usually find me mooching about there at least once a month.

I live smack in the middle of the city. We do not have a Ferrari garage. Or peace and quiet. Or trees. Or clean air. Or a non-scabby neighbourhood. It sucks here. I am looking to move.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:

I spent half an hour in a taxi in a traffic jam in Cairo and moved maybe 100 yards.

I paid the driver and started walking.
  • Have to drive past that garage on the way to my grandparents place, always have a rubber neck on the way past.
    My grandparents live down near Lymington. Roads are a pain in the arse around there.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    I love Lyndhurst. They have a joint Maserati/Ferrari garage. You can usually find me mooching about there at least once a month. I live smack in the middle of the city. We do not have a Ferrari garage. Or peace and quiet. Or trees. Or clean air. Or a non-scabby neighbourhood. It sucks here. I am looking to move.

I don't recall that, it was a long time ago. I do recall spending my last day after I resigned from my shitty sales job sitting in the local pub reading a book and having a nice lunch before heading home to Brum. I must go back at some point.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There was that Indonesian traffic jam a few years ago that lasted over a week and a few people died in it. So you can't complain too much.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    5 minute walk to the station, half hour train journey, 5 minute walk to work. That adds up to a little over an hour each way once the Thameslink tax has been factored in.

Ugh. A fast train from st albans - kings cross can take under 25 minutes, but about once or twice a week, it takes up to an hour (over 2 hours last week). Thameslink is pretty awful. Though I always have my 3ds with me so that's where most of my gaming time comes from.

I also like to walk to the station and then walk to the office, gives me a 6 mile walk each day which helps keep me active. Also I try to avoid the underground as much as possible.

The one caveat of living in the commuter belt is the travel cost though. I get a ticket which allows one route into london, no bus or underground included, and it's £320 a month. Nearly £400 if you include underground.
  • My daily commute is an hr each way by car. There are two routes, both as shit as each other...and it can be a bit of a lottery as to which way will be less traffic heavy.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I walk- it takes me 30minutes to get to work where I walk home from in the evening, it takes 45 mins sometimes an hour, this depends on hitting the shop and / or pub on the way back. Uni takes 22mins in the morning and 37minutes on the way back, sometimes it takes an hour, this depends on hitting the shop and / or pub on the way back. I cycle, I've never cycled to work but I've cycled to uni, it takes between 9 and 12 mins depending on lights / psychos / building works to get there. It takes between 15 and 20mins to get back because it's all uphill.

My worst commute was walking to the station, which takes about 20mins, then a train which took 34mins, then a walk which took 5 mins, then a bus which took 25 mins and walk which took 15 mins. If there was one failure in that link, and there regularly was, I once spent an hour and a half in a tunnel at the edge of the platform, all was fooked. Some nights I didn't get home till nine or ten.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Jaco wrote:

True, Southampton is terrible for traffic.  A trip to Ikea in Southampton is an exercise in self punishment.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Takes me 40 minutes to drive just under 2 miles at rush hour. I can walk it in 35 minutes. Rubbish.

I wouldn't say it's rubbish, that's a decent speed. You must've been losing weight, fatty.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    And I got married in Lyndhurst. Lovely little village.
  • I've gone from a 1.5 mile five minute drive each way for the last twelve years to a now seven mile twenty five minute drive each way recently.  It was a bit of a shock at first, especially as it takes me closer to the fringes of Bradford city centre, where the pavement is an overtaking lane and reasoning and accountability are foreign concepts.  Whilst my temper won't thank me, my car probably appreciates the extended journey as it was barely getting warmed up before.

A new first for me today even in Bradford.  Whilst waiting in a queue of traffic at some lights, a Golf joined from a shop's layby and proceeded to use the pavement to jump ahead and try join the queue.  So far so normal I think, it was Tuesday after all, but then a Grand Vitara from the same layby went one further and overtook the previous car on the same pavement and abrutly joined the queue as it set off much further up.  It beggars belief some days.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Shame on you for driving when it was a mile and a half away!
  • I used the convenience of living close to work to get up later.  Plus I would come home every lunch hour to see the missus, so walking was off the cards.  That would be done in the evening.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Andy wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Takes me 40 minutes to drive just under 2 miles at rush hour. I can walk it in 35 minutes. Rubbish.

I wouldn't say it's rubbish, that's a decent speed. You must've been losing weight, fatty.

I prefer "big boned".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!