Commute
  • Yossarian wrote:
    5 minute walk to the station, half hour train journey, 5 minute walk to work. That adds up to a little over an hour each way once the Thameslink tax has been factored in.

Ugh. A fast train from st albans - kings cross can take under 25 minutes, but about once or twice a week, it takes up to an hour (over 2 hours last week). Thameslink is pretty awful. Though I always have my 3ds with me so that's where most of my gaming time comes from.

I also like to walk to the station and then walk to the office, gives me a 6 mile walk each day which helps keep me active. Also I try to avoid the underground as much as possible.

The one caveat of living in the commuter belt is the travel cost though. I get a ticket which allows one route into london, no bus or underground included, and it's £320 a month. Nearly £400 if you include underground.

Holy shit, I used to take that line (though from Hitchin, so with a few more trains), how has it gotten so bad? I'm really glad I stopped working in London now.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's run by Govia, the same company that runs Southern.
  • I was thinking it might just be the time of year, but it's been awful all year really. Thameslink used to run it, and it sucked, then first capital connect took over and it seemed fine for a while, then Thameslink took over again. I'm not one to usually complain about 'these damn trains' and I hate hearing people yell and tut on the platforms, but for the amount of money it's just totally shite.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm waiting for my train now, which is currently being listed as 10 minutes late. If that's what it ends up being, I'll count myself lucky.

I do hope Khan's proposal to get TfL to take over the suburban train lines goes through.
  • I have train delays or cancellation every day on st least one of morning and evening commute. Been like that for weeks. "Wrong kind of wind"
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Another 5 minutes late. It will now arrive after the 9:14, my backup train, should be here.
  • Today I took the late late train so I could have breakfast before I leave the house.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Today I took the late late train so I could have breakfast before I leave the house.

HEDONIST.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • The Glasgow Underground is a thing of beauty. I can go flat to city centre in about 20 mins.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I've almost doubled my commute with the recent move, from 35 mins to just over an hour each way. Switching from tube to overground offers less flexibility too, then factor in delays/cancellations on the line and on the really shit days AD pops into my head.

ive-made-a-huge-mistake-gob-arrested-development.gif
  • I kid you not mate, this place has the worst traffic I've ever known. Takes me 40 minutes to drive just under 2 miles at rush hour. I can walk it in 35 minutes. Rubbish.
    True, Southampton is terrible for traffic.  A trip to Ikea in Southampton is an exercise in self punishment.

Infrastructure cannot cope. I'm in Ashurst, just outside of Southampton on the way to Lyndhurst (aaaaaahhh....Meridien Modena) and I'm so glad I don't have to commute into the centre of Southampton, which is a hellhole anyway. Southampton has just turned into a shopping and leisure destination now. They're expanding the West Quay shopping development at the moment with another huge cinema complex and selection of ghastly chain restaurants. Another cinema ffs. That makes four within walking distance of each other. There is the port of course, but that's not really a reason to visit Southampton. Every so often someone reminds everyone about the Titanic and there is a museum 'Sea City' I think it's called, which is an overpriced white elephant. There is, officially at least, no other history or culture in Southampton worthy of note, so we will ignore everything else and focus on shops and restaurants.

By contrast I commute to the gloriously cosmopolitan town of Eastleigh....ahem. Go Spitfires.
  • It's not just shopping, Southampton seems to be the only valid hospital in that region now.
    My grandparents are constantly having to go there for things that must be able to be done more locally. They won't be the only ones either as it is God's waiting room along the coast West of Southampton.
  • I'm not sure about further west, but to the east there is QA near Portsmouth, but I guess that's even further for your grandparents.
  • Skondo wrote:
    I'm so glad I don't have to commute into the centre of Southampton, which is a hellhole anyway.

Tell me about it. I mostly work right in the city centre when not working from home. It's just awful.

And I live in Woolston. Which is even worse. (Don't judge me, I didn't know the area when we moved down and we only had two weeks to find a place to live - any port in a storm, even one as stabby as Woolston.)
  • Yeah, but dat football team, though. *swoon*
  • Got a 5 min walk to the station, 5 min train, and 1.5mile walk to the office in the morning, then reversed. Takes about 40 mins all-in and only costs me £2 a day. I don't know how you Londoners do it.
  • Jaco wrote:
    I'm so glad I don't have to commute into the centre of Southampton, which is a hellhole anyway.
    Tell me about it. I mostly work right in the city centre when not working from home. It's just awful. And I live in Woolston. Which is even worse. (Don't judge me, I didn't know the area when we moved down and we only had two weeks to find a place to live - any port in a storm, even one as stabby as Woolston.)

Considering where else you could be in Southampton, Woolston isn't so bad. Could be in Northam, Shirley Warren, Millbrook, Thornhill, Coxford, Lordshill or of course the wonderful Flowers estate. Southampton has so many dodgy areas. In Thornhill the cats don't go out at night unless they're heavily armed.

I bought something on Gumtree a while ago, I then realised they were on the Flowers estate and I phoned up and cancelled. Rather do that then head anywhere near that place.

Some time ago I was a finance assistant for a fruit & veg wholesalers in the centre of Southampton near Holy Rood church. I had to drive in from Hill Head, which is the relatively posh area where my parents live and it's right on the coast. Five minute walk and you can see the Isle of Wight. I detested that drive. Northam bridge, every single day gah!
  • Aye, I do Northam bridge every day. It truly, deeply sucks.

When I first moved here I went out for a late night walk (something I did all the time in Cumbria). NEVER AGAIN. I forgot we had the Weston estate less than a mile up the road. That place is like Beirut in the 80s.
  • Sometimes I think about getting a motorbike. Bombing through the countryside for twenty minutes doesn't sound like a bad way to start the day.
  • I love motorbikes. The only thing that puts me off is the fact that you are 20 times (yes, 20!) more likely to be killed. And the countryside is lethal for bikers - diesel, mud and animal crap on tarmac is as bad as sheet ice.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Aye, I do Northam bridge every day. It truly, deeply sucks. When I first moved here I went out for a late night walk (something I did all the time in Cumbria). NEVER AGAIN. I forgot we had the Weston estate less than a mile up the road. That place is like Beirut in the 80s.

I forgot about Weston. Are their actually any nice areas in Southampton?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nope, head West, life gets better at Cadnam, then you can start heading south towards god's green and pleasant
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bits of Bursledon and Hamble are ok, but noisy. Warsash and Swanwick aren't what they're cracked up to be either. Basically, the place is a toilet.
  • The Glasgow Underground is a thing of beauty. I can go flat to city centre in about 20 mins.

When they closed it for a couple of months in the summer I was bereft. Stayed within a two block radius of the house with the exception of going to work.
  • 48 minutes
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Nope, head West, life gets better at Cadnam, then you can start heading south towards god's green and pleasant

Get tae'!
  • cockbeard wrote:

I assume I drive straight past Bournemouth right?
  • Skondo wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:

Baddum tish.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, to be honest, yes, Bournemouth is merely a gateway to the delights of 'Da-arzat'
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skondo wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:

Better to drive straight over.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!