Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Running for the bus should be an olympic sport. 

Debating what is or isn't sport is one of those endless and pointless debates. F1? Dressage?
  • Getting dressed is not a sport, Kow.
  • Are sports art.
  • Is Radiohead a sport.
  • In Snooker especially, being able to plan and play your shots cleverly and appropriately is a requirement like Chess but it is a sport in my eyes because you have to be able to physically pull off that shot which takes a high degree of skill brought on by practise, unless I'm missing a special technique of moving my pieces in Chess which is letting me down.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Getting dressed is a huge effort, especially at 6.30am. I am a champion at it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Chess involves having the physical ability to sit at a table for hours without going mental and punching someone. About the same amount of physical effort as snooker.

Everything involves some amount of physical effort but if you're going to classify sport within the physical then surely it needs to be a test of physical ability not just involve it. What sort of fucking sentence is that, Jesus?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Giant Jenga?
  • I know how and why Snooker players make their shots but I cannot physically do it, that's enough for me.
  • You can't be a sport if you can be played by post.

FUCKING HELL, GUYS. I'VE NAILED IT.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Play by mail games were definitely sport.

Also Tempy, by your reckoning, it can't be considered a sport unless you're good at it. If snooker is a sport, then playing it terribly is still a sport.
  • There's a rather curious misappreciation of human endeavour (and indentity for that matter) these days as we tend to believe that we are divisible into separate mental, physical or spiritual components when, in fact, we are an indivisible whole, every facet of ourselves inextricable from the whole.  It is impossible to take part in any activity which is solely physical, intellectual, spiritual etc.  To be an Olympian (by definition) means to aspire to godliness, to be superhuman in every facet of our being.  The ancient games used to include contests of poetry, singing, theatre and so forth, recognising that intellectual endeavour is really no less part of what makes a supreme athlete than how far you can hurl a discus or how fast you can run for a bus.  The modern Olympics has lost sight of this somewhat and is all the poorer for it.
  • @Kow I'm in bed don't make me explain what I mean properly. You can play Snooker terribly but pulling off a good shot requires physical skill and SHUT UP GOD I HATE SPORT

Also the web says Chess is a sport and I'm happy to concede that I am wrong but this is convenient as I can now just chuck it in the FUCK SPORT bag and be done with it
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes, you can be shit. AT SPORT.
  • But your ability at the sport is defined by either your physical strength (can't pick up the cue) or dexterity (can't hit the ball). That's the second critical aspect after the lack of play by mail. Third is competition.

My definition is perfect. Apart from Jenga, which should now become an Olympic sport as we have defined sport correctly.
  • Is this forum a sport who is chess
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cue picking up would be a sport I could do.
  • My definition is perfect.
    No.
  • Amazing scenes here in London as Kow picks up the cue using the Engelheimer Claw Tuck securing the Gold Medal. Truly a momentous day.
  • My definition is perfect.
    No.
    You think a game you can play by mail is a sport.

So shush your jabberlips.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    From Wankipedia
    Chess is a recognized sport by the International Olympic Committee[3] with FIDE being the recognized International Sports Federation for chess since June 1999.
    If the Olympic committee say it's a sport then it's a fucking sport. Now shut up.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Congrats on the medal Kow.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I haven't got up yet.
  • we are an indivisible whole, every facet of ourselves inextricable from yada yada The ancient games used to include contests of poetry, singing, theatre and so forth, recognising that intellectual endeavour is really no less part of what makes a supreme athlete than how far you can hurl blah blah blah.
    Right but things can be categorised by the things that make them unique. Saying everything is the same by finding commonalites is pointless. Sport is a way of categorising the physical aspect of all the qualites youre going on about.

Your Kasparov anecdote is weak as well. A medical student I knew used to go to the gym for a couple of hours everyday while he was cramming. Some theory about oxygenating the brain or something. So exams are sport.

It's like saying I would only watch Total Wipeout on the condition it introduces a modern interpretive dance element.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SAY IT'S A FUCKING SPORT. OK?
  • The Olympics don't don't decide what is and is not a sport - They just decide what the Olympics recognize as a sport for the purposes of the event. And then elect not to ever include the 'sports' that aren't really sports but they said were sports so they could make money off of their organizing bodies.
  • Fuck em. They don't know shit about poetry or theatre.
  • Possibly.

EDIT: I'm just arguing the point to be a fuck, tbh. I'd never want to watch Chess at the Olympics though. Ugh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!