Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Olympics don't don't decide what is and is not a sport - They just decide what the Olympics recognize as a sport for the purposes of the event. And then elect not to ever include the 'sports' that aren't really sports but they said were sports so they could make money off of their organizing bodies.

Well, they don't include F1 or snooker either.

Also, I don't care in the slightest. But I'm willing to let the olympic committee make the call on this one and forget about it forever.
  • The thing is, they don't make the call as to what is defined as a sport. Something can only become an Olympic sport if it is already recognized as a sport, has an independent and international governing body, and will pay the fees (and probably get through a load more bureaucratic BS). Apparently.

Perhaps the F1 and snooker organizations have no wish to be associated with the Olympics? I don't know. Bowling types have been trying to get bowling in for years, I think, but it hasn't happened.

It comes down to semantics really. Chess is shit to watch live anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nobody decides the definition of sport, which is why I said it was a stupid argument at the beginning. And then argued anyway.
  • We won Kow, we brought you to our level and thus we WON.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yup, I did.
  • monkey wrote:
    we are an indivisible whole, every facet of ourselves inextricable from yada yada The ancient games used to include contests of poetry, singing, theatre and so forth, recognising that intellectual endeavour is really no less part of what makes a supreme athlete than how far you can hurl blah blah blah.
    Right but things can be categorised by the things that make them unique. Saying everything is the same by finding commonalites is pointless. Sport is a way of categorising the physical aspect of all the qualites youre going on about. Your Kasparov anecdote is weak as well. A medical student I knew used to go to the gym for a couple of hours everyday while he was cramming. Some theory about oxygenating the brain or something. So exams are sport. It's like saying I would only watch Total Wipeout on the condition it introduces a modern interpretive dance element.
    You appear to have completely missed my point which is that the ancient Greeks recognised that sport and superhuman endeavour is not purely a physical pursuit and thus included contests of intellectual and artistic prowess in the olympic games.  Naturally, that doesn't mean that every activity that one engages in is a sport.  Sitting an exam is not a sport.  Engaging in a contest of wits over a chessboard however is.  Neither does it mean that there must be an artistic element to every physically-orientated contest.  T hat would be ridiculous.  However, to be an Olympian is to be a superhuman being, physically, intellectually, artistically.  At least that's what it used to mean.

Also, whilst 'oxygenating the brain' will undoubtedly be beneficial to any contest which requires intellectual fortitude, that is not the primary reason why Kasparov used intense physical workouts as preparations for his matches.  Perhaps this explains it a little better.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Silly Korchnoi.  If he'd played horsey to king's bishop 5 he would have been udderly sorted.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'd have thought any event where the world champion has been beaten by a computer would preclude it from being included in the Olympics.
  • Computers will be people too
  • I don't really care if chess is included in the olympics, as it's only slightly more boring than most of what's already there.  Suggesting it's a sport though is monstrously retarded, unless you're a pathetic moron who insists on using a different definition of sport to everybody else.
  • You appear to have completely missed my point which is that the ancient Greeks recognised that sport and superhuman endeavour is not purely a physical pursuit and thus included contests of intellectual and artistic prowess
    Right but we don't.
    The opera would be fine if there was hurdles in it because of what some other civilsation thought a couple of millennia ago. Bloody ludicrous point of view.

Anyway I've sucked myself into an argument I couldn't give a shit about. The olympics is an umbrella for sports no one cares about at any other time.
    You can get decent contests in it though. I remember seeing downhill White water slalom canoeing one year and it was awesome. Never made any effort to see it since though as I'd imagine repeated viewing would expose it as rubbish.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    im only interested in the olympics if team gb fields a soccer/footy team.
    footy is the only part that interests me.

i hear beckham, giggs and scholes could be involved.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Suggesting it's a sport though is monstrously retarded, unless you're a pathetic moron who insists on using a different definition of sport to everybody else.
    You might want to point that out to FIDE, the OIC and pretty much everybody else involved in professional sport then.
  • monkey wrote:
    You appear to have completely missed my point which is that the ancient Greeks recognised that sport and superhuman endeavour is not purely a physical pursuit and thus included contests of intellectual and artistic prowess
    Right but we don't. The opera would be fine if there was hurdles in it because of what some other civilsation thought a couple of millennia ago. Bloody ludicrous point of view.
    Hurdling in opera?  No need to go all reductio ad absurdum on my ass.  All I said is that we've taken a noble Greek sporting tradition and through the centuries devolved it into a contest which largely appears to consist of finding new and ever more convoluted ways of cycling around in a circle or canoeing down an artificial river, whilst intellectual contests which were once an integral part of the process have now been consigned to history.  I think that's a bad thing.  You don't.  We done now? Good.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Suggesting it's a sport though is monstrously retarded, unless you're a pathetic moron who insists on using a different definition of sport to everybody else.
    You might want to point that out to FIDE, the OIC and pretty much everybody else involved in professional sport then.

Get them to join the forum and I will do.
  • (current, or future) Olympic sports

Football
    Ice Dancing
    Kiteboarding
    Golf
    Archery
    Modern Pentathlon
    Biathlon (skiing / shooting combo)
    Triathlon
    Ski-cross
    Open water swimming
    Synchronised Swimming
    Rhythmic Gymnastics
    Beach volleyball
    Titting about on horses
    BMX biking
    Taekwondo

Not current Olympic sports

Squash
    Competitive ballroom dancing
    Windsurfing
    Kendo
    Netball
    Line dancing
    Capoeira
    Rugby Sevens
    Proper horse racing
    Korfball
    Competitive frisbee
    Skateboarding
    Lawn bowls
    Cricket

All pretty random really.
  • Point being, something being in the Olympics doesn't make it a sport, something not being in the Olympics doesn't make it not a sport.

I don't think Ice Dancing is a sport. The clue is in the dancing bit of the name.
  • Ive got tickets to the football final and basketball.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    (current, or future) Olympic sports Football Ice Dancing Kiteboarding Golf Archery Modern Pentathlon Biathlon (skiing / shooting combo) Triathlon Ski-cross Open water swimming Synchronised Swimming Rhythmic Gymnastics Beach volleyball Titting about on horses BMX biking Taekwondo Not current Olympic sports Squash Competitive ballroom dancing Windsurfing Kendo Netball Line dancing Capoeira Rugby Sevens Proper horse racing Korfball Competitive frisbee Skateboarding Lawn bowls Cricket All pretty random really.

You can't play any of those by post.
  • You've seriously NEVER done postal Taekwondo?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I tried, but couldn't find an envelope big enough.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Womens' Beach Volleyball tix me.  Should be fun.  Suspect it will be a male dominated audience.

Plus footy semi & footy final.  Which gives me reason to support Team GB I guess.
  • Somehow women playing volleyball on a parade ground doesn't quite have the appeal as Bondi Beach perhaps, though I suppose, given our climate, you may be treated to a bonus wet t-shirt competition sideshow.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    i'll be bringing my brolly, that's for sure
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Motor racing. That's racing.

(I'd define sport as anything with its primary focus on physical development. Snooker, darts and chess all fall under competitive games in my almanac.)
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Womens' Beach Volleyball tix me.  Should be fun.  Suspect it will be a male dominated audience.

Plus footy semi & footy final.  Which gives me reason to support Team GB I guess.

Fancy a post wembley beer?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!