Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Saw Guardians 2 - loved it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'm 44 mins into avengers: age of comic con
  • It's all very serious.
  • These are serious films y'know, not bad kids entertainment.
  • And I don't mean bad kids
  • I mean bad.....kids entertainment
  • In fairness, they aren't films made for me
  • Whoosh! Iron Man just did a super hero!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is Michael Jackson in this one?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I just watched Doctor Strange. That right there is how you piss a multimillion dollar FX budget up the wall.

Should have the extended cuts of Bats V Supes and Suicide Squad lined up soon too. Can't say I'm looking forward to them as much, but in for a penny.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    What are you people doing to yourselves?! What manner of penance?
  • I liked Dr Strange. Much more fun than the main Marvel movies.
  • Now that I'm sober I will say that like others I've enjoyed the more standalone efforts a fair bit: Iron Man, Gaurdians 1, Deadpool was alright, and I even own Ang Hulk. This avengers tho, just too cluttered and bloated. I'm going to try to finish it tonight tho. Maybe I'll give cap 1 and Dr S a try soon.
  • Yeah, they are both much more standalone.

Age of Ultron is a bit of a bloated mess. A case of too many cooks I believe. Pacing was way off too. When I saw it it felt like it was about to launch into the final showdown and it turned out there were 45 fucking minutes left!
  • I think the Ultron storyline should've been started in a standalone Iron Man film and then bled into Avengers. So Stark creates him, he kicks starks ass and the film ends with Ultron starting to take over the world - Stark calls in the Avengers. Boom - into an Avengers movie which can still pull in 'new' heroes, but also gives a really big, strong baddie who has had a decent amount of set up to fight.
  • I'm just glad it's over.
  • Like Nick I started Ultron the other day and gave up. I got to the Hulkbuster bit.

The depiction of Ultron was just really shit. I was watching how he moved and while he is actually made of lots of small, rigid components that move with one another they are so small he looks like a bloke in printed Lycra or one of those bendy stretchy toys. I'm not a big Spader fan either and his camp element really didn't work.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I think the Ultron storyline should've been started in a standalone Iron Man film and then bled into Avengers. So Stark creates him, he kicks starks ass and the film ends with Ultron starting to take over the world - Stark calls in the Avengers. Boom - into an Avengers movie which can still pull in 'new' heroes, but also gives a really big, strong baddie who has had a decent amount of set up to fight.

That's a waaaay better idea, would have made a better iron man 3 and a better avengers 2...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I think the Ultron storyline should've been started in a standalone Iron Man film and then bled into Avengers. So Stark creates him, he kicks starks ass and the film ends with Ultron starting to take over the world - Stark calls in the Avengers. Boom - into an Avengers movie which can still pull in 'new' heroes, but also gives a really big, strong baddie who has had a decent amount of set up to fight.

That's a waaaay better idea, would have made a better iron man 3 and a better avengers 2...

Aye, good shout.
  • I wonder if doing that would have detracted from the main element of Iron Man 3 that is good, which is Stark's battle with post-traumatic stress disorder, a genuinely smart take on his battle with alcoholism in the comics. It also might have been a total mess for that whole Iron Man as a chrysallis for Stark story thread if you wanted Ultron and sequel-baiting distress too. You'd then have to finish up Stark's storyline in Age of Ultron which I don't think would work so well for the segue into Civil War. I agree Ultron needed a better build up, but I wouldn't trash the final chapter of Stark's story for it.

Anyway, I saw the Star Wars one last night, with the dickhead who isn't funny any more and the talking Racoon who is great.

Overall it's a bit of an enjoyable mess, but a clear step down from the first.
    Spoiler:

Plot and stuff aside, my one big takeaway is we're hitting a point where we can almost make anything believable with CGI. Yung Groot and Yung Russell were still a step too far, but christ, I am convinced Rocket is an actual domesticated Raccoon, and I love the Kirby and Ditko style cosmic weirdness that this and Doctor Strange achieved with their visuals.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yung Groot and Yung Russell were still a step too far, but christ, I am convinced Rocket is an actual domesticated Raccoon, and I love the Kirby and Ditko style cosmic weirdness that this and Doctor Strange achieved with their visuals.

Yep, I confess to having largely forgotten that Rocket was CGI, which is absurd when you think about it.  Equally agree that the ability (and courage) to now convey full-on comic book psychedelic weirdness is one of the things that keeps me coming back even when the storytelling falters.
  • Rocket is amazing in Vol 2. And Drax actually, he had a lot of lols in the screening I was in
  • I felt they were very close to flogging a dead horse with him by the end.
  • There were defo too many jokes but enough still hit. Was a good screening actually. The first time in a while where the whole audience was along for the ride. Definitely helped.
    And yes, loved the colour blasting visuals. A big step in the right direction.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Did you know that Drax just says what's in his head, with no filter, all the time? It's hilarious
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It certainly is when Larry David (not our one) does exactly that in Curb.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Did you know that K-2SO just says what's in his head, with no filter, all the time? It's hilarious

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Did you know that K-2SO just says what's in his head, with no filter, all the time? It's hilarious

He was shite an aw
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It certainly is when Larry David (not our one) does exactly that in Curb.

Larry's faux pas have consequences tho. Which are often also hilarious. GOTG is so rapid fire it just moves on
  • It's nice they've got autistic heroes though. Diversitys fun.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!