All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • House Insurance Surveyor finally came out to look at this Bay Window today.

Extremely long story short - it will take at least 6 months to fix, but possibly up to two years.

Oooooouch.

x
  • davyK wrote:
    My hifi needs a major upgrade. Have an old Mission amp with the NAD disc player and turntable and ancient Mission shelf speakers. All > 20 years old.  Have a DAB/IR/podcast player that is modern but everything is long overdue replacing.

Good hi-fi is good hi-fi
  • poprock wrote:
    Since this has temporarily turned into the hi-fi thread …

When it turned out that I was playing most of my music from iTunes, I stopped caring so much about physical media.

When it turned out I wasn’t using physical media, I got rid of the equipment and only kept an amp and speakers - with iTunes and my TV as the only input sources.

When I moved into a smaller flat, I replaced the big speakers with a soundbar type thing, and dumped the amp as well. Sacrificing sound quality for convenience.

Now, in a bigger house I want music in multiple rooms, so I swapped for a Sonos system. Essentially the soundbar becomes my main speaker and I have speakers in other rooms that I can switch to. I liked it a lot - for both quality and convenience - so I dove in deeper and expanded to a 5.1 setup for the big telly and single other speakers dotted around the house.

One day I might add more, putting stereo pairs in a couple of rooms instead of single speakers.

The Sonos system is great so long as you’re happy buying into their gear. It’s totally possible to buy a Sonos amp and hook your existing speakers up to it if you want to, but the Sonos quality is more than good enough for me.

As soon as I could use apple music on sonos or stream from my phone to it, I was all in. Love it
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • n0face wrote:
    How is that possible?

Builders are really lazy. Have to stop every 5 mins to make a cup of tea.
  • Started posting what I soon realised was going to be an epic saga of disappointment and frustration but instead I'll just say this.

We have the worst fucking solicitors ever dealing with our house purchase.

I'm so close to driving over to their office tomorrow and not leaving until they complete the paperwork they've been paid to do THREE FUCKING MONTHS AGO
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • n0face wrote:
    How is that possible?
    Builders are really lazy. Have to stop every 5 mins to make a cup of tea.

So the longer story is, the Surveyor will type up his report and recommend drilling bore holes to determine why the two structures are slipping. Insurance company typically take 3 weeks to give approval on that, then they arrange that and carry it out, get samples etc.

So.... if it's a soil problem, it could indicate a drain leak or something.  Fix that and rectify the ground, before fixing the bay window - 6 months.

If on the other hand they prove it's down to tree roots from the big f**ker on council land outside the house, then it becomes a big drawn out issue with the council, who can ask for 12-months of monitoring before they accept any liability.  That's what could end up taking two years.

x
  • That sounds like a real pain in the arse.
  • Bloody hell. What a pain!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The one silver lining I can see there is that it’s now your insurance surveyor who is managing the project/investigation/repair. Someone’s in charge. And it’s not you. So you can relax and let them do their thing, whether it takes two months or two years.
  • I agree! In-laws were there to hear it, too, so it was sweet to witness their "oh shit" moment.

x
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    At least you haven't bought them out too, or else you would be footing the bill solo.
  • I agree! In-laws were there to hear it, too, so it was sweet to witness their "oh shit" moment. x

I presume they’re wishing they’d gone through with that sale now.  Kinda serves them right though i guess.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    My hifi needs a major upgrade. Have an old Mission amp with the NAD disc player and turntable and ancient Mission shelf speakers. All > 20 years old.  Have a DAB/IR/podcast player that is modern but everything is long overdue replacing.
    Good hi-fi is good hi-fi

Yeah. The CD player's drawer decides to not stay out long enough to put a disc or remove one quite often. And sometimes it just won't read certain discs no matter how many times I put a lens cleaner disc in. The old Pioneer amp crackles when I adjust the volume which is a bit annoying but I do like its chunky sound. It stresses the small speakers - I really need to replace those soon as one of the cones is now dented - not sure how it happened.

Even if I replaced it I'd probably move it into my gaming room for the craic.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • All my bedroom furniture is being delivered tomorrow! Huzzah! :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You're doing it all wrong g. We slept on a mattress on the floor for the first fortnight, and our sofa was an airbed folded against the wall while we waited for the one we ordered got built. Fond memories of eating a chippy and drinking champagne on the floor on our first night as homeowners :D
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    All my bedroom furniture is being delivered tomorrow! Huzzah! :)

Be warned, the sex swings are usually an early delivery to avoid nosey neighbors
  • FranticPea wrote:
    You're doing it all wrong g. We slept on a mattress on the floor for the first fortnight, and our sofa was an airbed folded against the wall while we waited for the one we ordered got built. Fond memories of eating a chippy and drinking champagne on the floor on our first night as homeowners :D
    That’s an awesome story. If I was younger mayber I’d be doing likewise, but nowadays my old bones would never forgive me.

• g.man wrote:
    All my bedroom furniture is being delivered tomorrow! Huzzah! :)

Be warned, the sex swings are usually an early delivery to avoid nosey neighbors
    It’s a hammock, not a sex swing ffs!

• The defining difference is it being outside.
    Thats the rules, hammock outside sex swing inside.
  • Hahaha
  • Banana Hammock
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember waiting on a kitchen delivery - had two bricks to sit on all day. Wifey had the deck chair!

This was pre moving in.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Banana Hammock
    g.man wrote:
    Hahaha

• Mattress on the floor? You were lucky. I moved into a rental once and had to fashion a mattress out of clothes that I covered in a bed sheet.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bed sheet? Luxury! We once rented a flat that was at the bottom of a septic tank and we had to sleep standing up so as not to drown in shit.
  • Hey my one's actually true!

I left out the part about it being covered in broken glass and animal carcasses tho.
  • When I was 18, me and a pal negotiated a deal to live in an eight-bedroom student house while it was empty over the summer. We didn’t pay any rent, but we kept the gas meter topped up and we looked after the place.

The week before moving in, we went for a wander over to look at the house. We’d been out, the nightclub had closed, and we were still drunk. So we walked over, and stared happily at our future digs. 

Wandering about a bit, we found an abandoned sofa a block away. So we carried it to ‘our’ house, put it carefully in the street in front, and made ourselves comfortable. No need to bother getting home, we could sleep here. The great outdoors. Knights of the road. Etc.

I woke up about an hour later feeling a bit chilly, so went for another walkabout. Found a skip. In the skip I found a couple of big blankets. Perfect. Back to the sofa, one blanket each. Brilliant.

There’s no hilarious ending to this story, it’s just a nice memory.
  • Sold my flat!
    First viewer and Im very happy with the price.

Im buzzing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!