All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Latest mental solicitors thing.

Got my checks back. All good except they have flagged a need for 'Chancel Insurance'.
    What the fuck is that you say.

Well.
    Turns out somewhere in the area (read entire council borough) there is some land that historically had to give money to the local church and IF my property sits on this land and the local church needs a new roof myself and everyone else on this land is liable for it. This is because religion has no money of course.

Option 01 pay for a precise check of my exact property to see if liable. If it is then it changes nothing, if not move straight to GO. The check is quoted at £100 and involves speaking with the church so will obviously go on forever.

Option 02. If confirmed liable or dont want the check take out Chancel Insurance. A one off payment tied to the property in perpetuity. If the church needs a new roof the insurance company pays for it not me or anyone who lives there after me. Quote for the insurance £5.25. Yes five pounds and twenty five pence. Forever, never ever pay again.

What the fuck is this absolute nonsense!!!
  • Fucking hell. That’s a new one on me.

Tough decision for you there, eh? Pay £5.25 or pay £100.

I’m guessing there’s a risk that a previous owner already paid the £5.25 and the property is already insured. But nobody will check that without you ponying up £100 for a full review.
  • They could ask the seller I suppose but for the sake of a fiver I cant be arsed with the faff.

Im willing to bet it isn't in Scottish law. Very much seems like something only the English would have.
  • Oh and if you do the check and it is liable you still have to pay the £5.25 for the insurance plus it gets tacked onto the Land Registry documents as confirmed liable and some people have reported it devaluing their house. £5.25!
  • The solicitor will have changed ten times that to write you an email about it.
  • Or, more realistically, to copy and paste you an email about it.
  • To automatically email the Chancel Insurance.pdf.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    They could ask the seller I suppose but for the sake of a fiver I cant be arsed with the faff. Im willing to bet it isn't in Scottish law. Very much seems like something only the English would have.

Looked it up, England and Wales only obviously.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Latest mental solicitors thing. Got my checks back. All good except they have flagged a need for 'Chancel Insurance'. What the fuck is that you say. Well. Turns out somewhere in the area (read entire council borough) there is some land that historically had to give money to the local church and IF my property sits on this land and the local church needs a new roof myself and everyone else on this land is liable for it. This is because religion has no money of course.

This is one of those ‘quaint’ things that historically dates back to pre-1500s (I think) - down where I am we aren’t within the boundary of a mediaeval church but relations were…in my opinion pay up what’s ultimately £notalot when compared to the overall cost of a house purchase and don’t worry any more about it (similar to building regulations indemnity insurance).

There’ll be people living close to St Thomas Church in Wells that are nervously checking their house purchasing paperwork in the coming weeks…
  • Oh for sure, I'll be paying the fiver.
    It feels like someone has found some old law and is making a mint off it.
  • When we bought our freehold house it was only half-way through the process we discovered there was a management company involved (having been told definitely not by the estate agent) so that was fun waiting to see if there were any ongoing fees associated with that…

…turns out there is, whilst we’re not paying any ground rent we do have to pay a service charge of c.£85 a quarter, but it does mean someone comes and does the maintenance on the ‘shared grounds’ and keeps the unadopted road and surrounding area looking relatively prim and proper.

Was a shock though…and they charge £300 for a Management Information Pack if you want to move on, which will be copies of everything I could just hand over anyway to any future purchaser. Massive scam.
  • Yeah just been through the £300 management pack routine.
    Robbing bustards.
  • Property law in England sounds turbofucked.
  • Och, cannae buy your hoos?

Sure

Hoo much?

Yoo till me.

500,000 scottish pounds?

Sure thing.... (ya wee mug)
  • "Cannae" means "can't" you dumb Southerner.  Lern moar gude.
  • He's not a good representation of northerners ftr.
  • He's Southern as far as I'm concerned.
  • Well, Northern hemisphere.
  • Lot's of planets have a north.
  • But "lots" doesn't have a "'".
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This is a postrophe
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a grammatical catapostrophe.
  • The contract has arrived!! It's time to pay the full deposit and then we will get the date of exchange.

FINALLY
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Congrats Wookie!
  • I'm absolutely thrilled. This was a process started in the summer and it's FINALLY coming to positive result.
    Who knew buying a house was so stressful? Lol
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • In one day I get the final contract to sign for our new house, my copy of Elden Ring arrives and the martial arts book that I'm featured in gets published and on sale!!
    Best Friday ever
  • Keep your guard up Wookie, this is often the point in the story where things go wrong for our plucky hero.
  • “So I went off to interview Wookie, to find out exactly why wet paper bags were such a challenge for his punches”

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!