The Apple Thread
  • monkey wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Is there more of this to come then? When do they reveal the other new stuff like iPhones?
    iPhone stuff is usually autumn.
    Booooo!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • poprock wrote:
    BConcTw.jpg

But, that said … touting it as a legitimate alternative to buying a 4K monitor? Genius move. Repositions it in a space where people regularly drop £3k or above already.

I was expecting sonething more like this from Apple.

GettyImages-465569369.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=450&h=300&crop=1

I'm assuming they are positioning it at home workers, because its shit for office collabs.
  • HOT TAKES
    The price is ridiculous. Parody Apple pricing. Maybe a few years down the line they can bring out a Reality Air at something like a more sensible price. 

It looks hideous. You know it's bad when bloody Facebook are beating Apple on aesthetics.

There aren't any reasons to get one. 3D-AR workflows might look fancy but the software isn't there, probably won't be there for a while. Can't really see many workplaces being filled with people ambling around in these things. 

I wasn't sure what was going on with FaceTime. I could only half-watch that part of the presentation. It seemed to say that the internal cameras would be doing something. But they're not recreating the person's face are they? Two people facetiming each other, both equipped with one of these, aren't going to be seeing very much of each other's faces.  

You can watch a film on it. Great. If two people want to watch a film, that's 7000 bucks. Families? Fuck you. 

Can I, a bespectacled person, wear this without laying out another (probably) grand or so for lenses, or doesn't it fit with glasses? Was that part telling me fuck you four-eyes?

The hard-on that the tech industry has for Apple is that they can develop new product categories, or give them a boost, or bring them to maturity. Is this thing really doing that? Difficult to see when it's a toy for the super-rich. 

It's still hamstrung by all the VR limitations. They've done nothing there. They (seem to) have got rid of the wire. But at what cost? $3,500. You still look like a weapons-grade bellend if you're wearing one. 

Can you wear it all day? Really? If you can then yeah maybe, they're getting in on replacement monitor territory. Looks to me that the limitations of the thing are such that anyone making that decision is going to be pining for a bog standard 2D display to gawp at after a few weeks of wrestling with the limitations. And having their retinas burned to a bloody crisp.
    Fucked it lads, they fucked it
  • Gonna be interesting to see this $3499 HMD with a brand new, empty app store go up against $499 Quest 3.

Best use-case Apple seem to have come up with so far is "you can make virtual screens as big as you want for work and TV!" - so onus is on the Vision Pro app store devs to come up with the compelling use case.
  • Speak to me in like, five, six, generations.
  • Yeah - Vision Pro 2 or Vision Lite version where they realise that the cabled battery pack is a deal-breaker and actually put the battery in the damn thing might be viable.
  • monkey wrote:

I wasn't sure what was going on with FaceTime. I could only half-watch that part of the presentation. It seemed to say that they internal cameras would be doing something. But they're not recreating the person's face are they? Two people facetiming each other, both equipped with one of these aren't going to be seeing very much of each other's faces.  
    I don’t think they’ll see each other at all, I think they’ll be seeing MetaHuman style “Digital Personas” of each other (same as the front “EyeSight” lenticular screen renders) - so actually a step backwards from a real video feed of a person lol.
  • People don't want to put a load of shit on their face.
    That's the issue. Doesn't matter how good that shit is if it makes you look like Sci Fi Scuba Cunt.
  • I'm sure Will I Am has five on order already.
  • Until it’s just a lens for any pair of glasses, or a contact lens, it’ll never take off.

In the meantime, this goofy headset seems to have the coolest tech of all the goofy headsets.

And the sneaky thing seems to be that they’re using it to get a foothold on brain/computer interaction.
  • The tech is exciting but the barriers are still annoying - the battery is odd, its still a cumbersome headset but at least I can use it without fear of kicking the dog... but I also think it will be hilarious to greet the postman with one of these on. Price is as expected.

But yeh I feel the main draw would be the Apple integration (as always) and using it as a bigger screen, which is nice and could be cool, but thats a bit of a gimmick when it doesn't add anything.
  • I honestly think its one of the worst product announcements I can remember.
  • Can't beat the Bone of course. That's top.
  • Natal mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • monkey wrote:
    I honestly think its one of the worst product announcements I can remember.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    IT can do 3D photos like the Nintendo 3DS could do!

soldddd
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    At least 7 times the cost of a Quest 3
    it’s a nope from me.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I thought it looked cool, but I also bought a launch CD32.
    Things can only get better.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Similar look for £3.49

43M7GOF.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    mannaboy wrote:
    I thought it looked cool, but I also bought a launch CD32.

I bought a Wii U at launch, as well as choosing the Dreamcast over the PS2, and the Neo Geo Pocket over the GameBoy Color. My favourite soft drink was Pepsi Blue. And I don't want Apple's headset.

It's guaranteed to be a success now.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I see usually-smart people online saying that ‘the content deal with Disney makes this a game-changer!’ as if Apple and Disney being in bed together is some sort of surprise.
  • Iger didn’t even show anything, it was just an Apple power flex. Expected that Unity is early with engine support, kinda interesting that Epic/Unreal not in sight at all, nor seemingly making any noise about it online/Twitter?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unity is kinda the budget end of gamedev isn't it, vs the premium end of tech? Hmm
  • They really tried to hide that cable, didn’t they?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!