The Apple Thread
  • djchump wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    … I wasn't sure what was going on with FaceTime. I could only half-watch that part of the presentation. It seemed to say that they internal cameras would be doing something. But they're not recreating the person's face are they? Two people facetiming each other, both equipped with one of these aren't going to be seeing very much of each other's faces.   …
    I don’t think they’ll see each other at all, I think they’ll be seeing MetaHuman style “Digital Personas” of each other (same as the front “EyeSight” lenticular screen renders) - so actually a step backwards from a real video feed of a person lol.
    So according to that guy in gmans vid, you scan your face with your iphone, then that is your face as far as Apple VR is concerned. And it will project it and animate it into FaceTime. I assume you can update it if you get a haircut or something.

It blows my mind that they've developed this. They've had over a decade of FaceTime marketing about staying in touch with people, seeing your grandkids, blah blah blah. Now those calls are Uncanny Valley Horror Shows. Imagine a 3 or 4 year old only ever seeing Uncanny Grandad. What a mess.

FaceTime (may not include actual faces).
  • Quest 3 has colour pass through and hand tracking. ZJLbFPN.gif
    Yeah but it hasn't got Googly Eyes on the front so fuck it.
  • Not a big fan of this product in case anyone's wondering.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Quest 3 has colour pass through and hand tracking. ZJLbFPN.gif

Yeah but fuck Zuck.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    monkey wrote:

sLFM1OA.jpg

:)
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Can we get rid of all the tech companies please? 

Just revert back to Windows 98 and have a rethink.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Can we get rid of all the tech companies please? 

Just revert back to Windows 98 and have a rethink.

Erm.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Can we get rid of all the tech companies please?  Just revert back to Windows 98 and have a rethink.
    Erm.
    90s MS are fine. Quaint by today's standards.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Yeah but fuck Zuck.

Not a fan either but not letting that get in the way of my pleasures.

• monkey wrote:

sLFM1OA.jpg

:)

I'm doing this
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'm doing this

He’s not even buying a headset. Wookie’s just sticking giant googly eyes right over his actual eyes.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    He is a Cookie Monster.
  • It's the sort of product that Steve Jobs would have publicly mocked. Even the very few use cases it has, it seems to make a pig's ear of. It's ugly, it's ruinously expensive, it has no clear purpose for the consumer, it's got googly eyes, it isn't desirable, it clearly isn't ready for the market, and it's also slightly terrifying and dystopian imo.
  • I appreciate the Questlove and am no apple fan but if Meta get anywhere near the quality of this headset for a few hundred bucks or whatever then fair play to them

The actual issue for me is what do I want this or the quest for, other than a few hours of gaming?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I appreciate the Questlove and am no apple fan but if Meta get anywhere near the quality of this headset for a few hundred bucks or whatever then fair play to them The actual issue for me is what do I want this or the quest for, other than a few hours of gaming?

I think the Quest answers that with "You don't, play some games dickhead" 

Apple are going "We've made using your Macbook worse, and you can watch some films that are longer than the devices battery life. Oh, and you can Facetime people without them seeing your face."
  • I just think it’s interesting watching Apple throw their near-unlimited resources at this and seeing what they come up with. Just like it was interesting seeing them try to make a smartwatch. (Which we all thought looked like a solution without a problem and yet now half the people I meet seem to be wearing one.)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And let's throw the AirPods into the mix, when I first watched the keynote, I was definitely no way am I getting those, they are now the best selling buds by about double their nearest competitor.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I’m interested but it just seems a too damn expensive plaything compared to something unobtrusive like a watch or earbuds.
  • The watch and the earbuds have become status symbols. They became cool. This won’t.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    And let's throw the AirPods into the mix, when I first watched the keynote, I was definitely no way am I getting those, they are now the best selling buds by about double their nearest competitor.

This referring to wireless ones I assume?
  • poprock wrote:
    The watch and the earbuds have become status symbols. They became cool. This won’t.

They are also fairly inconsequential.
    At worst a waste of money maybe, but they aren't obtrusive products.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The EarPod pro’s are amazingly good IMO. Stopped using my various headphones completely.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    This referring to wireless ones I assume?

Yup
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • In defence of smart watches - I like the fact I can talk a phone call and act like I'm Michael Knight talking to Kitt. 

Also in a genuine reason - I can stick my poxy phone upstairs and out of sight when I get home and still be accessible for when one of my staff really needs to get in touch. This has massively improved my time wasting on the phone as the watch just aint near able to compete with a smart phone. In this specific case, the watch has been worth every pennt
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    In defence of smart watches - I like the fact I can talk a phone call and act like I'm Michael Knight talking to Kitt. 

Also in a genuine reason - I can stick my poxy phone upstairs and out of sight when I get home and still be accessible for when one of my staff really needs to get in touch. This has massively improved my time wasting on the phone as the watch just aint near able to compete with a smart phone. In this specific case, the watch has been worth every pennt

Amen to this!

I love my pixel watch. I love using the voice assistant too, feels like I'm in star trek
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you e not walked through Tesco talking to your wrist you just haven’t lived.
  • I do!
    "Ok Google, tick off Lube from my shopping list"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!