Infinity War Spoilers thread
  • i forgot about Kurt Russell cause his bit was shite hence no cosmic characters please
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Though scarlett witch could do with a wardrobe upgrade.

She seems to be unhappy about being given a costume that shows cleavage.
  • Scarlet witch was positively scrumdiddlyumptious.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    there is a continuity error in the movie. when was the gaunlet forged as it appeared in the early clips with thanos (avengers 1?) therefore he must have attacked the dwarf forging place awhile back. lastly, when are they going to introduce adam warlock? also i wonder if the living tribunal will make an apperance in part 2.

Sorry long draw back to this comment so may have been answered but I thought the gauntlet they showed in the original Avengers or whenever was shown to be fake by Death lady in Thor Rag as she walked through the "hall of treasures" place. So the forging would have happened more recently.
  • But yes, I quite loved it. My fear was that with all the characters in the movie it both wouldn't work as a movie and also they wouldn't be able to give Thanos proper time. But both things weren't true. They treated him the same as the main characters in terms of screen time and that was great. Quite an achievement really. I don't think most of the jokes landed as well as previous movies but the "I am Steve Rogers" line was fucking great.

I was trying to temper my expectations and excitement (which was hard when it was advertised ta fuck in Tokyo) but I feel like it met them. Seeing it at Imax was amazing too although the fidelity of the screen and resolution meant that some of the green screening was quite noticeable around the edges of the characters.
  • Also the start was great. That Loki death was quite brutal for this kind of movie and really set the tone. It actually upset me a bit because I rather liked Loki.
  • Also the start was great. That Loki death was quite brutal for this kind of movie and really set the tone. It actually upset me a bit because I rather liked Loki.

Yeah, just after being reminded how good s character he actually is (and the performance of him) in ThoRag it was by far the most affecting death.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Anyone listen to the Empire spoilercast? I was chuckling heartily at the Peter Dinklage impression :D
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just saw this. Highly enjoyable romp. Far better than I expected (the daughters wanted to see it after we went out for dinner tonight while Wifey is boozing in Portugal this weekend).

Impressed by its scale and scope. And Thanos for a comic book bad guy is very good indeed. Good job all round.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Uh so the purple bloke is a textbook Malthusian pissking who wants all the power ever to eliminate resource crises via murder but his solution is not to just use the glove to make more resources?? How is this writing.
  • Cos he's someone who has long decided his way is the only way and has spent a good amount of time committing straight up genocide before the gauntlet idea. Not a particularly good dude by all accounts. His plan is flawed as shit but he's committed, he even does a big cliche speech about balance whilst balancing a knife on his finger "too much one way is bad, too much the other is bad." and of course it doesn't take in any nuance but that's why he's a villain. He does that speech to a child in front of a massacre. He bad!
  • Okay but that's an audience assessment. I find it baffling that wouldn't even be raised as a plot angle. As a fucking quip even.
  • It's a complaint, the film is a bit breathless for the most part. Too much biffing, not enough riffing.
  • If he increases the food supply, the population would go up and eventually outstrip that supply again. Killing half of everything off wouldn’t stop the population rising again either so pretty dumb either way.
  • Fifty percent of everyone who survive are sterile. 
    I made that up.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • monkey wrote:
    If he increases the food supply, the population would go up and eventually outstrip that supply again. Killing half of everything off wouldn’t stop the population rising again either so pretty dumb either way.

So just make more stuff?? I mean
  • Brooks wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    If he increases the food supply, the population would go up and eventually outstrip that supply again. Killing half of everything off wouldn’t stop the population rising again either so pretty dumb either way.

So just make more stuff?? I mean
    Thats fucking with the balance. He’s a psycho, he doesn’t want to be some benevolent almighty provider. It’s like giving the glove to Hitler, he’s not going to calm down and stop being a tit.
  • Is it ever explained what The Balance actually is in this context, or is that also to be inferred somehow during all the punching.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Did wearing the glove give Thanos any guarantee of not being one of the 50% when he clicked his fingers? That could have been an embarrassing outcome for him, but if it was a risk then it would have underlined his commitment to his cause...
  • The Balance involves a knife and if it goes too much one way or the other that’s bad for some reason.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Did wearing the glove give Thanos any guarantee of not being one of the 50% when he clicked his fingers? That could have been an embarrassing outcome for him, but if it was a risk then it would have underlined his commitment to his cause...
    There’s an answer to that question that one of the directors accidentally let slip out but it’s a spoiler for the next one so
    Spoiler:
  • I'll take a stab at the Thanos thing.

In the movie Thanos explains that when his planet Titan reached over-saturation point , he proposed a random elimination of half the population to reduce the strain but also so they could start again and not make the same mistake. The rest of the population say no to this and Titan falls into ruin and everyone dies (I'm guessing Thanos loses his family here and that has a big impact on why he keeps creating 'Children' of Thanos but thats me guessing)

It's important to remember that this happens before he has the gauntlet or possibly even the notion that such a powerful thing could exist so in his mind the solution  was and always will be to randomly kill half the population. The fall of his planet turns him a bit mad and now he is so focused on this being the only way to fix the problem.

Also worth thinking about is that no one apart from Thanos sees the problem of finite resources in the Galaxy. Its never been brought up in a film before and it isn't here. This is an assumption of Thanos and in a way it's like a hypochondriac in this regard. He thinks the Universe is running out of resources but that could really all be in his head. 

In reference to why not just use the gauntlet to add more resources, apart from the final act of removing half the population of the galaxy, the effects of the stone are shown throughout the movie to be both temporary and linked to how close Thanos is. When he leaves a scene usually any effects caused also get removed. Even in the last scene where the gauntlet is fully powered he fuses Banner in the Hulk buster into rocks but once he is gone Banner is back to normal. I thought this was very deliberately done.

For me the major problem with the Thanos is not the why (he is insane and often referred to as such) but the how. It's never explained how the combination of the Stones allows Thanos to produce the ultimate kill switch (or why flipping that switch seems to be a once off move which destroys the gauntlet). I don't need a huge logic fill for this plot hole but some general explanation I think would have helped.

As with any of this comic movies (and to be fair superhero comics themselves) I think you either buy into it being about the characters and the action or not. Too much explanation is really for the excess nerds and you can see how that's poisoned the star wars scene.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I saw We Will Deep Fry Your Kebab yesterday and it addressed everything I'd found super-dull about hero films for the past few years so I enjoyed it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What I liked about Thanos (if like is the right word) was the weariness. He had his solution and remained convinced of it. His remark to Stark about being cursed with knowledge further indicates his conviction in the solution and in the fact that he is the one to do it. It's not high brow but it's good for comic book fodder.
  • RedDave, you have to appreciate how much heavy lifting you're having to do to get this thing to make a lick of sense right. In a populist comicbook movie that isn't exactly selling itself on pensive ambiguity whatsoever.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I'll take a stab at the Thanos thing.

In the movie Thanos explains that when his planet Titan reached over-saturation point , he proposed a random elimination of half the population to reduce the strain but also so they could start again and not make the same mistake. The rest of the population say no to this and Titan falls into ruin and everyone dies (I'm guessing Thanos loses his family here and that has a big impact on why he keeps creating 'Children' of Thanos but thats me guessing)

It's important to remember that this happens before he has the gauntlet or possibly even the notion that such a powerful thing could exist so in his mind the solution  was and always will be to randomly kill half the population. The fall of his planet turns him a bit mad and now he is so focused on this being the only way to fix the problem.

Also worth thinking about is that no one apart from Thanos sees the problem of finite resources in the Galaxy. Its never been brought up in a film before and it isn't here. This is an assumption of Thanos and in a way it's like a hypochondriac in this regard. He thinks the Universe is running out of resources but that could really all be in his head. 

In reference to why not just use the gauntlet to add more resources, apart from the final act of removing half the population of the galaxy, the effects of the stone are shown throughout the movie to be both temporary and linked to how close Thanos is. When he leaves a scene usually any effects caused also get removed. Even in the last scene where the gauntlet is fully powered he fuses Banner in the Hulk buster into rocks but once he is gone Banner is back to normal. I thought this was very deliberately done.

For me the major problem with the Thanos is not the why (he is insane and often referred to as such) but the how. It's never explained how the combination of the Stones allows Thanos to produce the ultimate kill switch (or why flipping that switch seems to be a once off move which destroys the gauntlet). I don't need a huge logic fill for this plot hole but some general explanation I think would have helped.

As with any of this comic movies (and to be fair superhero comics themselves) I think you either buy into it being about the characters and the action or not. Too much explanation is really for the excess nerds and you can see how that's poisoned the star wars scene.

Bish, bash bosh. you smashed it.
  • Brooks wrote:
    RedDave, you have to appreciate how much heavy lifting you're having to do to get this thing to make a lick of sense right. In a populist comicbook movie that isn't exactly selling itself on pensive ambiguity whatsoever.

Its really not difficult. It gives you everything in the film.
  • Brooks wrote:
    RedDave, you have to appreciate how much heavy lifting you're having to do to get this thing to make a lick of sense right. In a populist comicbook movie that isn't exactly selling itself on pensive ambiguity whatsoever.

I'd argue that given the heroes in marvel movies spend more time fighting each other over different motivations rather than the villains, it fits fine.

It's not like the jokers actions in dark knight stand up to much scrutiny either in terms of the why or how either. You either are prepared to have fun with the ride or maybe just don't go to this type of film.

SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Running in parallel to Thanos being "cursed by having knowledge" is Dr Strange who knew how it was going down and has to take the gamble by cashing in the Time stone for Stark's life. My guess because he knows Stark is around at the end when Thanos is defeated and had a hand in it after watching several million future outcomes.

On occasions Thanos appears to hold to his word.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Saw it yesterday, engaged us throughout. Props to everyone envolved, esp Brolin.
    Can understand how uncomfortable it was for the nippers to watch their heros disintegrate. Bleak ass fuck.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!