META QUEST - Stand Alone VR
  • SHABBA!

…and after that first "grab falling in mid air gun, turn and blast" movement, I was sold. Completely immersed. Brilliant stuff.

gAfvwjA.gif

Hair bby!
    When are we going to fondle balls together again?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Not until August for me bud. FNF is generally ring fenced so hopefully catch you there?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I've bought a quest 2 for my daughters birthday later this month so I might take it out for a spin in the near future. Is there anywhere you can get deals on games for it or is it just the store front on the headset/app?

No doubt she'll want to spend her birthday monies on some games.
  • Yep on the store front/app. There are pretty regular deals to be honest, and you often get discount codes sent your way (30% off).

I think you get an introductory discount if I recall.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you're not averse to the high seas you can just install apks on it like you would on a phone.
  • Steal everything.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Not until August for me bud. FNF is generally ring fenced so hopefully catch you there?

I'll be back on soon enough. Probably not this week but next week should be a goer
  • I'm available anytime.
    Played a few holes on the new course on Walkabout and it's really good fun
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow wrote:
    If you're not averse to the high seas you can just install apks on it like you would on a phone.

I'll take a look into this, cheers kow.

Games are really expensive on the store front compared to psn.

• I'm available anytime.
    Played a few holes on the new course on Walkabout and it's really good fun

Annoyingly a lot of my shifts are morning shifts at the moment but hopefully I can find some time at some point
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    From next month, no Facebook account required for the Quest or future headsets. About time!

App screenshot of the announcement.

ub4m8AC.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is a Meta account not just a Facebook account with a different name? What's the difference, can be arbitrary rather than tired to irl identity?
  • I'm assuming you probably need a Meta account to sign up for FB these days? I haven't been following properly but I'm expecting fb to meta migration is the idea?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Is a Meta account not just a Facebook account with a different name? What's the difference, can be arbitrary rather than tired to irl identity?

I’d say it’s different in that your Quest content will not linked to a social media account. Will also help anyone mistakenly ban hammered.

• I’m guessing it’s separate in the way your Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook accounts are separate. As in, separate from the user point of view, but all cross referenced and shared behind the scenes.

If you want your Meta account separate from the others, for whatever reason, create it using a different email address, phone number, name, IP address, etc.

The very fact they’ve called it a Meta account, not an Oculus or Quest account, points towards them seeing this as the eventual ‘one account to rule them all’ though. Zuckerberg thinks his metaverse is the future of social etc.
  • It's incredibly shit and I've no interesting in using any piece of hardware that forces you to log in to some online account in order to use it, especially if it has anything to do with Zuckercunt and that whole shitshow.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Doesn’t seem to bother me or the millions of happy Quest users because the experiences are worth the frankly partridge shrug of Meta having FA to do with my daily.
  • We all log into online accounts to use technology/hardware daily. I think that horse bolted long ago.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s a bit like saying we all eat food so we might as well go to McDonald’s five times per week.
  • I was responding to Gurt’s assertion that he’s not interested in using anything that requires an online account. Maybe I should have quoted him to make that clearer.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair enough, it coming after Hair’s defence of Meta made it seem related.

I’m going to be interested to see what this means from a data privacy perspective. I’d like to remove all data Meta has collected on me via Facebook, if this makes that possible, that’s great.
  • Plus you can have multiple Meta accounts, making it easier to split eg work account from the home games etc
  • But, yeah, it was still a fucking stupid announcement “We listened to you! You no longer require a Facebook account! Now you require a Meta account!”
    Like, fucking hell Zuckerberg, get someone to proof read your dumb fucking bullshit first, maybe?
  • I don't want a Facebook account but I don't see how signing up to a meta account is any different from any other account PSN, Microsoft, BT, British Gas etc. Everything we buy online regularly needs an account. How else would you sign into it or buy things for it or am I missing the point here?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Facebook’s business model is learning as much as it possibly can about you in order to target you with ads. That’s not true of any of the other companies you mentioned.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Because Meta/Facebook are more evil
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Facebook’s business model is learning as much as it possibly can about you in order to target you with ads. That’s not true of any of the other companies you mentioned.

I don't go on Facebook and don't intend to. Is a meta account not just a means of accessing the device with very little info on us other than what details we choose to enter into it or what it sees us purchase or browse on the oculus store?

I've not had Facebook and I know I get targeted by algorithms and shit. Surely everyone's using what info they can to sell us their wares. I'm not defending this by the way , I'm curious as to why this accounts perceived differently (meta account, not face book account).

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Facebook bad Apple good
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cupatay wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I don't go on Facebook and don't intend to. Is a meta account not just a means of accessing the device with very little info on us other than what details we choose to enter into it or what it sees us purchase or browse on the oculus store?

I don’t know, could be. Someone with more time on their hands will have to read the TOS.

I've not had Facebook and I know I get targeted by algorithms and shit. Surely everyone's using what info they can to sell us their wares.

No, not necessarily, it will very much depend on the business. I doubt British Gas are, for instance.

Besides which, Facebook aren’t just using info to sell you their wares, they’re providing a set of tools that anyone can use to sell you their wares, which means that they will collect a much wider range of data to appeal to a wider range of potential users.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Facebook bad Apple good

Business models based on the collection and selling of personal data have the potential to be abused, yes. Look at all the people in America warning each other to delete period tracking apps, for example.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!