Disco Elysium - What kind of cop are you?
  • Contains some of my favourite great gaming moments of the last 10 years
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • The fuck does cuno care
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm waiting till it's faded a bit more from my memory before playing it again. It's a GOAT. I can see myself revisiting it again lots of times.
  • Vela wrote:
    The fuck does cuno care
    GOAT of gaming characters

• I started this game for 10 minutes before I start work today. And I don't remember a start like it. I think I'm going to like this
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I don't remember an entire game like this.

It's such a comprehensive, intricate world. It reminds me of Outer Worlds in that you can see how much meticulous care has gone into it, although neither game plays anything like the other.

Just don't read anything about the game til you finish it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I don't understand how people post once about starting to play this game and then just leave it.
  • It's still on my list to purchase, despite the less than stellar notes I've read on the console ports. Anything to worry about?
  • I played switch version which I assume is the least regarded. It's fine.

A slow initial load and one or two (no more than that) crashes were my only problems with it.

Text font size was properly optimised. Controls worked well. There was some slowdown upon entering a new area in particular if there was a higher density of objects or characters there.

None of that impacted upon the gameplay in the slightest, however. That's because it's dialogue/monologue based, and that aspect ran flawless.
  • For me this is a game that reading about it will probably be a lot more fun for me than playing it - i just don't have the time or patience for slow text heavy stuff. So it's on my 'wishlist' but i'll prob never buy it. if it showed up on gamepass i'd prob play it once and then not go back! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • This thread makes me want to replay this

• I don't understand how people post once about starting to play this game and then just leave it.
    I got stuck in the first 5 mins. Looking for something, the ceiling... A lamp? Gave up. Shame me bro, I know I'm missing out
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It is great, but I've been playing through it very slowly. I'm on day 3 or 4 I think, but I generally get about half a days play through each session, and I probably play it once or twice a month. (I've restarted due to death a couple of times).
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm reading a fan translation of Kurvitz's book set in the universe but roughly 20 years post-game. Oh man, the potential future spoilers in here unless they retcon it.
  • Picked this up for the eshop for £16.
    I've played the first hour a few times on pc but wanted The Final Cut on console and it's just brilliant to be back.
    I'm a total fucking disaster and I've just had my first real laugh out loud moment.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Bollockoff wrote:

This is a stunning watch. Utterly bananas.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm actually scared to watch it because I'll feel really sad as a massive DE fanboy who met Kurvitz once.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'm actually scared to watch it because I'll feel really sad as a massive DE fanboy who met Kurvitz once.

It's a ride and multiple points where people do things like not talking to a lawyer or making big decisions with no paperwork gave me proper anxiety. Everyone in a position of power comes across as an asshole, while the general staff seem super beat down by everyone above them. 

It kinda conflates assholes with some proper legally dubious shit and I don't think it's perfect but...it's a proper good watch.
  • You will lose your love of Kurvitz though, sorry.
  • Didn't realise the run time was that long. Will need to tackle it in chunks, or wait til the weekend.
  • Didn't realise the run time was that long. Will need to tackle it in chunks, or wait til the weekend.

Yeah, it's a long piece but very much NOT a youtube video essay - it's actual investigative journo.
  • I was wondering when someone'd give this the attention it deserves. 

As someone with boundless appetite for anything related to this game, i enjoyed watching it, despite the presenter's social anxiety. 

Kurvitz can clearly be a dick, but not an irredeemable one. I can't imagine it'll be pleasant hearing such direct- and fair- criticism. once he's got over the kick to his pride hopefully it gives him impetus to change.  love his work
  • His management style may be unreasonable from what I've read, but it doesn't justify what amounts to the theft of his creative work.
  • Made a start on it. Kinda dizzying but it's Good Stuff.

The prop cigarette smoke as he talks is killing me, though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Finished reading an English translation of Kurvitz's book, Sacred and Terrible Air, a missing persons thriller set in the DE world which he wrote and got published several years before the Disco Elysium project even started but has never had an official English translation (so some fantastic fans went and did it. I can link people to it for free if anyone was interested). 

Even if I wasn't a DE fanboy I think I still would have really enjoyed this largely well written story with weird place names I've never heard of and characters I'll miss a bit. It's set roughly 20 years apart from DE and isn't even in Revachol (mainly Katla, a sort of amalgamation of irl Scandinavian states) so it helps to curb expectations of familiarity a bit but tbh that's part of the excitement.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!