The Christmas Holidays Movies Thread
  • For me its...

Elf
    National Lampoons
    Home Alone

That's the core must watch trio. Agreed The Snowman is always nice if I catch it.
  • davyK wrote:
    My Christmas films are Elf Scrooge (Alistair Sim version) Miracle on 34th street Fanny & Alexander (even though the first 90mins is the only Christmas bit) The Snowman is also required viewing. Trading Places is another one set at Christmas - is anything but a Christmas film.

Good shout on Trading Places - the 80's did good Christmas settings
    SFV - reddave360
  • They're showing Trading Places at the pcc for Nye I think (the film spans Xmas and ny). I may pop down, it's a belter. What was the film the two old bastards were in after? I'm drawing a blank.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    They're showing Trading Places at the pcc for Nye I think (the film spans Xmas and ny). I may pop down, it's a belter. What was the film the two old bastards were in after? I'm drawing a blank.

That's it. They make a bet and swap Murphy and Ackroyd. It may be my favourite film of that era and genre. There is a great cast and they all play a blinder.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Coming to America, had to Google it. Of course it was.
  • They had a call back to those characters in The Campaign, didn't they? Dan Aykroyd and John Lithgow.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Coming to America has a cameo of the Duke Bros. who are homeless after Trading Places. Murphy's character hands them a stack of banknotes and one of them (Randolph) says "Mortimer, we are back in business!"
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • They're showing Elf at my local tomorrow (11am only) but I'm working. Mrs. Moot is taking Tilly but I'm genuinely crushed that I can't make it as I think it's a wonderful film from start to finish. Double time is double time though, but it's a kicker.
  • My must-watch Christmas films include films that a lot of people absolutely hate. Hey ho.

Must Watch Every Year
    Love, Actually
    Arthur Christmas
    A Christmas Carol (the Disney, Jim Carey one)
    It’s a Wonderful Life
    The Polar Express

Every 2-3 Years
    The Muppet Christmas Carol
    Scrooged
    The Holiday
    The Snowman & Father Christmas (usually as a double bill)
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Every 4-5 Years
    Home Alone
    Bad Santa
    Elf

I’ve seen once or twice
    White Christmas
    The Family Stone
    Miracle on 34th Street
  • I’m going to see It’s a Wonderful Life at the independent cinema in Aberdeen on Sunday night. One of my favourite Christmas Eves was going there to see The Muppet Christmas Carol about lunch time, coming out to wonder around a Christmas market, and went for something to eat, then back to the cinema at dinner time for their last showing of It’s a Wonderful Life.
  • I watched Arthur Christmas for the first time the other day and it is much better than I expected. Good fun and bags of heart.

You need some Lampoons in there Andy.
  • You reminded me that I try to watch Nightmare Before Christmas every Christmas Eve, doesnt always work out though.
  • I've never seen it. Will be rectify that this year.
  • Channel 4 930pm Daddys Home2

Goonies just started on channel 5
  • *moved to off-topic*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    You need some Lampoons in there Andy.

I just watched it. It can go in the bottom list but, unlike the others there, it has no chance of moving any further up.
  • The bbc have a new version of A Christmas Carol on tomorrow night.  Producers of Taboo (class), Guy Pearce (class), Stephen Graham (class) and Andy Serkis (a man who thinks he’s class despite having made a career as being computer monsters).  Looks decent too.  Think it starts at 9 but y’know there’s a thing called iPlayer too.
  • That has potential. Good shout Uncle.
  • The bbc have a new version of A Christmas Carol on tomorrow night.  Producers of Taboo (class), Guy Pearce (class), Stephen Graham (class) and Andy Serkis (a man who thinks he’s class despite having made a career as being computer monsters).  Looks decent too.  Think it starts at 9 but y’know there’s a thing called iPlayer too.

I'm very keen on this. Looks great, so fingers crossed
    SFV - reddave360
  • You had me until Andy Serkis. I detest that c**t.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I watched Elf today :). Wife missed the cinema showing so we all watched it on Prime with pick & mix. One of my favourites, never gets old.
  • I’ll watch the Beeb’s Christmas Carol, but it’s going to have to win me over. The casting of the lead seems waaay off.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Finished the most important trilogy of the past few years tonight with A Christmas Prince 3 - The Royal Baby. The Chinese Panglians are coming to sign a 600 year old treaty with Aldovia. But at the same time Queen Amber is expecting! It'll all be fine, the treaty signing is her last royal engagement before the baby is due.

But then the scroll with the treaty on it goes missing! And then they find out if a country doesn't sign it their first born will be cursed! Fffuuu!

It's like The Room of U rated Christmas movies, and I'm glad to see the 74 minute third part featured all the greatest hits of the previous two. Keep it up Netflix.
  • I'm glad one of us watched it, saves me from having to.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I saw that scrolling through Netflix and thought, "who the fuck (other than my wife) watches this shit"? Turns out it's Reg.
  • Has anyone watched Klaus on Netflix yet?  I like the look of the animation and general style.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, it's fine story wise, and the animation is good.
  • Good good. We’ll give that a go then.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I saw that scrolling through Netflix and thought, "who the fuck (other than my wife) watches this shit"? Turns out it's Reg.

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, GOOBS.

I'm a sucker for and movie where everyone is trying their best, not just a nudge wink bad movie. The Christmas Prince movies have provided me with plenty of laughs over the past 3 years.
  • Todays Movies ( a selection)

Starman 640pm Horror channel
    Uncle Buck 7pm itv2
    Paddington 715pm ch4
    Demolition Man 9pm itv4
    The Mask 9pm 5*
    Escape from LA 11pm 5 spike
    47 Ronin 1am film4

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!