regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In midnight run he showed to us a lighter acting style,
    Proving he can swear a lot but also make you smile
  • ITV are getting their money's worth out of Elf.
  • I always had fond memories of Midnight Run but bought it recently and was disappointed, I'm hoping I just wasn't in the mood!

It's a Wonderful Life however is my undesputed favourite film ever, the lows the highs, Jimmy Stewart.... I can imagine that if it were made today it would be a smaltzy mess but there is something so charming about it. Make sure you watch it in black and white first though before the colored in version!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Also Dino great thread makes digesting what's on much simpler!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • This is fun...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • TREMORS!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Todays movies (a selection)

Vice Versa 10am sony movies
    Wreck it ralph 1025am bbc1
    Batteries not included 1205pm sony movies
    Groundhog Day 215pm sony movies
    Minions 245pm itv2
    Jungle book 345pm bbc1
    Paddington 2 715pm bbc1
    Rocky 3 itv4 8pm
    Pretty Woman 9pm sony movies
    The 6th day 9pm horror channel
    The wedding singer 9pm 5 star
    Field of dreams 1010pm paramount
    Wolf of wall street 10pm ch4

• Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Had a perfect Christmas triple-bill yesterday with The Muppet Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life then Meet Me In St.Louis rounding the night out beautifully.

Did Oklahoma! and Guys and Dolls on BBC2 today.  Prefer the latter but OK! has some classic numbers, a fun dream sequence and gets extra credit for reminding me of Leland's maniacal gaiety in Twin Peaks.

Also received The Night of the Hunter on BR so will definitely be giving that a re-watch in the coming days.
  • Night of the Hunter is superb. Robert Mitchum was incredible.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Yup one of my faves is Night of the Hunter.
  • Have you seen Out of the Past friends? In my top 5 Noir films, I reckon.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I have not, added to the list!  Along with New York, New York which you mentioned the other day so thank you for that recommendation, too.  Loved Liza in Cabaret and the shows with her mother.
  • Ah you'll have a great time with them!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Night of the Hunter is superb. Robert Mitchum was incredible.

The menace that Mitchum brought to that role is without peer. Makes the De Niro / Scorsese film feel lightweight in comparison. But then he also had Gregory Peck to play against.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I waxed lyrical about it in another thread (Cocko's horror a day thread iirc).
    It is the old soundstage, lower grade audio, suedo reality of that era of film that make it for me. It is a perfect canvas for Mitchum's excellent performance.
    Nothing feels quite real so there is no hook to hang your comfort blanket.
  • Todays movies ( a selection)

Raider of lost ark 125pm bbc1
    Looney tunes back in action 2pm itv2
    Fun with dick and jane 230pm sony movies
    Bridge on river kwaii 545pm 5 spike
    Blades of glory 9pm ch4
    Blue brothers 10pm itv4
    Ant-man 11pm bbc1
    Flags of our fathers 1140pm 5 spike
    Raid 2 1am film4
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I mean you’ve all missed it but the best film of today has ended.

How To Train Your Dragon 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    The menace that Mitchum brought to that role is without peer. Makes the De Niro / Scorsese film feel lightweight in comparison. But then he also had Gregory Peck to play against.

Oh what a prat - I've mixed that up with Cape Fear. The '61 version with Mitchum. I recommend anyone watch that - Mitchum is mesmerising in it - genuine menace.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I mean you’ve all missed it but the best film of today has ended.

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Was that an enforced upon you as grandad by your niece?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nah love the Dragon films :-)
  • 9:30pm on BBC2, The Limehouse Golem. Not an all-timer, but a cracking period detective/horror with Bill Nighy.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Train your dragon films are all pretty great.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I waxed lyrical about it in another thread (Cocko's horror a day thread iirc). It is the old soundstage, lower grade audio, suedo reality of that era of film that make it for me. It is a perfect canvas for Mitchum's excellent performance. Nothing feels quite real so there is no hook to hang your comfort blanket.

There are some stunning images in there, too, like illustrations from a book of fables.  Love how it uses the unreality of the sets to its advantage, the locations seem to exist alone in the fog of someone's memory.  Caught most of The Wizard of Oz this morning which of course has a similar charge to it.

Just looking through the Radio Times' picks and Monday is looking strong with Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The Apartment and Some Like It Hot.
  • davyK wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Oh what a prat - I've mixed that up with Cape Fear. The '61 version with Mitchum. I recommend anyone watch that - Mitchum is mesmerising in it - genuine menace.
    If I remember correctly Scorsese did take some inspiration from Night of the Hunter for his Cape Fear - maybe the tattoos? And the extremely sinister sexual predator stuff between De Niro and Juliette Lewis.
  • poprock wrote:
    9:30pm on BBC2, The Limehouse Golem. Not an all-timer, but a cracking period detective/horror with Bill Nighy.
    Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It’s not complicated, but it nevertheless demands your attention from the off. And Nighy himself is endlessly watchable.

Train your dragon films are all pretty great.
    Yup. I have the first two on iTunes, they can be stuck on pretty much any time.
  • Todays movies ( a selection)

Inside Out 3pm bbc1
    Deck the halls 7pm true movies
    Guardians of the galaxy 2 830pm itv
    Field of dreams paramount 9pm
    Cape fear 1115pm itv
  • Inside Out will be essential viewing if my wife’s damn family shut the fuck up long enough to watch something
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Inside Out = lets traumatise the kids
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Inside Out = lets traumatise the kids

Yep. I'm so in
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!