How to Start a Pension in the Face of Economic Armaggedon
  • I've got a fantastic current work pension (Civil Service Alpha pension) which just looks after itself.

As a fellow alpha-er I’d definitely recommend reading up on their actuarial reductions for taking it early - I’m fortunate in that the bulk of my Civil Service pension is in the older, Premium, scheme which has a pensionable age of sixty, but having read around it I’ll only  ‘lose’* around thirty per cent of the alpha pension value if I claim it at the same time rather than waiting for state pension age.

The Vanguard fund is in place to hopefully provide a bridge that gaps between retiring earlier than sixty and claiming the pension(s)…

* I say ‘lose’, it’s paid for longer so in theory it balances out, and who needs £more as they get really old? Would much rather enjoy it whilst I’m fit(ish) and able to.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I’ve really found the information provided by the service on the Alpha pension almost impenetrable!!
  • They do it on purpose. Financial sector speak is designed in the hope you won't notice they're all a bunch of cunts.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • That's a forlorn hope.
  • Well we know now, or did at one point.

• They do it on purpose. Financial sector speak is designed in the hope you won't notice they're all a bunch of cunts.

Think this one’s more of a case of it being classic Civil Service ‘Mandarin’, rather than trying to trip anyone up! In terms of accrual it’s a pretty simple scheme, you pay in either 4.6%, 5.45% or 7.35% (depending if you earn up to £34,199, £34,200 to £56,000 and £56,000+) and in return you get 2.32% of your annual salary added to a balance that you’ll claim at state pension age.

There is an annual adjustment to that balance based on inflation, but ignoring that (and assuming there’s no changes to your salary in the whole period) to demonstrate incredibly simply if you earned £35,000 a year you’d pay in just under £160pcm (salary / 12 * 0.0545) and in return would have £812 added to your balance (salary * 0.0232) - do that for thirty years, and you’ve got a balance of £24,360 that you’ll get every year from state pension age…

Say you worked like that for thirty years from 30, had a state pension age of 68 but wanted to claim at 60 you’d have an actuarial reduction of 0.648, ie you’d get 64.8% of your total…£15,785 a year from 60 years old, but with the added benefit of getting that for eight years early.

If you live to 85 that’s 25 years of £15,785 (£394,625) rather than 17 years of £24,360 had you waited to claim it at 68 (total of £414,120).

Details of actuarial reductions for alpha are here: https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/media/oislhmme/early-and-late-retirement-factors-and-guidance-alpha.pdf
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Just FYI, Vanguard have minimum inputs of £500 as a one off, or £100 monthly DD.
    Set it up and then change it after.
  • lastant wrote:
    They do it on purpose. Financial sector speak is designed in the hope you won't notice they're all a bunch of cunts.
    Think this one’s more of a case of it being classic Civil Service ‘Mandarin’, rather than trying to trip anyone up! In terms of accrual it’s a pretty simple scheme, you pay in either 4.6%, 5.45% or 7.35% (depending if you earn up to £34,199, £34,200 to £56,000 and £56,000+) and in return you get 2.32% of your annual salary added to a balance that you’ll claim at state pension age. There is an annual adjustment to that balance based on inflation, but ignoring that to demonstrate incredibly simply (and assuming there’s no changes to your salary in the whole period) if you earned £35,000 a year you’d pay in just under £160pcm (salary / 12 * 0.0535) and in return would have £812 added to your balance (salary * 0.0232) - do that for thirty years, and you’ve got a balance of £24,360 that you’ll get every year from state pension age… Say you worked like that for thirty years from 30, had a state pension age of 68 but wanted to claim at 60 you’d have an actuarial reduction of 0.648, ie you’d get 64.8% of your total…£15,785 a year from 60 years old, but with the added benefit of getting that for eight years early. If you live to 85 that’s 25 years of £15,785 (£394,625) rather than 17 years of £24,360 had you waited to claim it at 68 (total of £414,120). Details of actuarial reductions for alpha are here: https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/media/oislhmme/early-and-late-retirement-factors-and-guidance-alpha.pdf

I was going to complain about the lack of tables but then I clicked and tbf the important stuff is.
  • Started reading this thread a long time ago but have just caught up over the last few days.
    I've a pretty decent work pension but could be tempted to start a little something extra for the next 20 years.
    Any Irish badgers figure out the best way over here? Don't think we have ISAs
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    lastant wrote:
    They do it on purpose. Financial sector speak is designed in the hope you won't notice they're all a bunch of cunts.
    Think this one’s more of a case of it being classic Civil Service ‘Mandarin’, rather than trying to trip anyone up! In terms of accrual it’s a pretty simple scheme, you pay in either 4.6%, 5.45% or 7.35% (depending if you earn up to £34,199, £34,200 to £56,000 and £56,000+) and in return you get 2.32% of your annual salary added to a balance that you’ll claim at state pension age. There is an annual adjustment to that balance based on inflation, but ignoring that (and assuming there’s no changes to your salary in the whole period) to demonstrate incredibly simply if you earned £35,000 a year you’d pay in just under £160pcm (salary / 12 * 0.0545) and in return would have £812 added to your balance (salary * 0.0232) - do that for thirty years, and you’ve got a balance of £24,360 that you’ll get every year from state pension age… Say you worked like that for thirty years from 30, had a state pension age of 68 but wanted to claim at 60 you’d have an actuarial reduction of 0.648, ie you’d get 64.8% of your total…£15,785 a year from 60 years old, but with the added benefit of getting that for eight years early. If you live to 85 that’s 25 years of £15,785 (£394,625) rather than 17 years of £24,360 had you waited to claim it at 68 (total of £414,120). Details of actuarial reductions for alpha are here: https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/media/oislhmme/early-and-late-retirement-factors-and-guidance-alpha.pdf

Nice one!!

I understood how the pot grew, but the early retirement bit really threw me.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Started reading this thread a long time ago but have just caught up over the last few days. I've a pretty decent work pension but could be tempted to start a little something extra for the next 20 years. Any Irish badgers figure out the best way over here? Don't think we have ISAs

Someone asked that a while ago. No idea. Surely they have something to encourage a pension?
  • "Ah sure it'll be grand"

They've only recently been talking about mandatory pensions.

This kinda stuff would be kept quiet from the masses and you'd be expected to pay someone stupid money to set anything up.

I'll have to do some research.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    So I need to change off Fidelity apparently. I'm trying to figure out how much they're actually taking from me but I can't quite work it out from the app.

Will switch to Vanguard once I get confirmation if I'm getting a pay rise this year and throw a bit more in. How complicated is it to switch? Do Vanguard sort this out for me?

Edit - I've got a regular savings plan so I think it's 0.35% per month for the Fidelity bill.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Oh do I need to get off fidelity do I? I wanted to just fire and forget
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • This is the way but you have to check every few years that you're on the cheapest and if it's worth switching. They can do broadband type deals in the hope you'll forget to switch but it's no biggie once you've done it a couple of times.
  • They will contact you if they bump up their prices.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    How much are Fidelity going up for a regular saver?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Probably a stupid question, but is my investment in a UBS S&P 500 Index Fund C Accumulation insulated against drops in value of the £? Given that the value is the US companies, my presumption is that if the value of the £ false the £ value of my shares in the fund will go up?
  • Usually yes, depends on the investment structure, but almost certainly the shares will be held as USD value, so if the GBP weakens against the USD you gain even more, a minor currency investment in way. Works both ways obvs. But investment in funds can be opaque in how it works, better to ask your fund manager
  • If it's not then get another fund. It'd be odd to have a S&P that's not bought in dollars. As the British economy slides we'll do well out of it, pension wise.
  • Probably a stupid question, but is my investment in a UBS S&P 500 Index Fund C Accumulation insulated against drops in value of the £? Given that the value is the US companies, my presumption is that if the value of the £ false the £ value of my shares in the fund will go up?

This is a something I've been wondering myself. I'd assumed that since contributions to my fund are in GBP, then I'm getting less dollars for my £ over time when buying (assuming that USD continues to gain over GBP), but this is offset by gains when selling again. I guess at the point you buy into a fund, it doesn't really matter how many $ you are getting. It only matters whether there is a +/- shift at the point you sell. So, if we assume that GBP will continue to decline against USD over the long term, then it's even more reason to keep buying into a US fund.

This article explains things well...

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/articles/latest-thoughts/how-it-works/how-currency-movements-affect-your-returns

The S & P 500 fund I use is "VANGUARD FUNDS PLC S&P 500 UCITS ETF USD(GBP) (VUSA)", so I'm assuming that means that the market I am buying into is USD, but the underlying fund currency is GBP (because it's a UK based fund). However, on reading the investor doc for this fund it says based currency is USD. Hmmmm.
  • Nvidia earnings report due today that might affect us all. I suspect the earning report is going to be v strong but that might not stop it tipping the S&P into a correction, which as monthly investors is not a bad thing.
  • It's down a couple of % in pre-market so far. Does this indicate anything?
  • Dunno. Nvidia dropped quite a bit but sometimes the markets do stuff for no reason.
  • The bell's at 2:30 right? I hope something exciting happens. Up, down, whatever. Goes to show how important Nvidia is to the S&P 500 and the American economy in general. Viva la revolution. Or it might just plod on.
  • 2:30 aye. 

SOFI is down 1.3%. SPIRE is up 1.5% So, god knows.
  • Shadow of the Erdtree gameplay reveal trailer at 2:30, get your priorities straight.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not sure what time the Nvidia earnings report is due.
  • Seeing quite a few big swings down now.
    Not sure what time the Nvidia earnings report is due.

An hour after the market closes today, 10pm our time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!