How to Start a Pension in the Face of Economic Armaggedon
  • Boo.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Doesn't look like we'll see a correction. Nvidia beat most optimistic expectations so that might steady the ship for a bit but you never know. Bit boring really.
  • Ha, says the guy holding Nvidia shares.

I figure I have about £2k worth as part of pension, but it doesn't feel that way unless I own them directly. Hmmm, what to do...
  • Never buy into something just because everyone else is. Buy into stuff you really know about. If you want to buy Nvidia learn about AI, which should only take a month or two. There are loads of free courses. Once you're confident you know how it all works you can make an informed decision!
  • Seems like Nvidia lifted all the boats singlehandedly. Many exchanges around the world seeing all time highs. Optimism in AI is strong, which I guess makes sense where profits are involved, the presumption being it'll help nearly all the companies.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Working for an AI tech startup this has better translate to us being bought for big money please
  • I'd buy that for a dollar!
  • All start-ups should just add AI into the spiel. I have an app on the way and it's what I'm doing. It will actually use AI, but it's more a case of finding a use for the tool rather than solving an actual problem.

Anyway, to get back on to what SG says, Nvidia has given the market such a boost. I feel like a crash will come at some point. My pot is up over 10% in 6 months.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't understand what you're saying.com
  • If anyone fancies a flutter on AI then this might be worth a look. Headlines were that Altman was seeking 7 TRILLION dollars from oil money to invest in AI. He wasn't really, he was suggesting that's the possible spend on AI chips over the next few years, but if they did hand over the cash then that'd be great because it's enough to possibly dethrone Nvidia.

There's a massive shortage of chips and Altman wants to make his own, and he wants to make new architecture that's purely AI focused. 7 trillion sounds nuts but AI is a revolution. Altman won't get nearly that much, if any, but it doesn't mean that amount won't be spent by everyone else, and obvs that's a huge investment opportunity. Will the world spend half it's cash on AI in 10yrs?

• He seems to think he can convince the oil states to invest in AI, when they’re actually all panicking a bit right now about how to invest in green energy transitions. Their focus is somewhere else, they ain’t gonna bite.
  • Yeah, I think it was more of a political statement. USA already has the Chips Act to encourage the onshoring of chip manufacture but maybe this was more of a gentle nudge to do more. I'm sure OpenAI will take anything they do pony up though.
  • Singapore’s your place for chip fabrication. Using machines built in Norway.

Weirdly though, Scotland are doing alright at it too. Well on top of the advanced packaging stuff that’s coming through. There’s an entire science park being built around that stuff soon.
  • It's going to take a bazillion pounds. Even the USA are struggling, but they'll get there. Taiwan are way ahead of everyone now. TSMC have left Intel somewhat in the dust.
  • Taiwan! I meant Taiwan. But I said Singapore. Sorry. I got Norway right though. That’s where the machines are built.
  • ASML in Holland makes a load of the machines. I just read that TSMC is going tpo open a plant in Arizona this year. They're gonna need 50 million gallons of water a day when they're up and running, in a desert.
  • Singapore went all in on canes.
  • And slings.
  • I see the banks are buying up as much bitcoin as they can get their hands on.
  • I've eventually setup on a new platform for regular monthly investments.
    Using trading212 since it seems to be 'free' for most steps, and invested in vanguard s&p 500 accumulator fund.
    3 days in and I'm up 1.14% ;)

Left my previous investment in iweb for now. Not loads of money in there but cos it's been left alone for 4 years it's nice seeing it show at 70+% growth :)
    Plus hopefully hedging my bets that both platforms don't go bust and take my money
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
    Good good. To the moon!

Good good. To the moon!

It's self perpetuating until they decide to sell. They have the muscle to buy a lot and that pushes the price up.
  • I was kind of hoping everyone was over crypto currency now and it would die out ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The only reason I could imagine banks going all in on crypto is because it's unregulated and they think they can manipulate them market.
  • I've eventually setup on a new platform for regular monthly investments. Using trading212 since it seems to be 'free' for most steps, and invested in vanguard s&p 500 accumulator fund. 3 days in and I'm up 1.14% ;) Left my previous investment in iweb for now. Not loads of money in there but cos it's been left alone for 4 years it's nice seeing it show at 70+% growth :) Plus hopefully hedging my bets that both platforms don't go bust and take my money
    I'm using 212 myself, and it's easy to use. Currently putting money into S&P 500 and wondering if I should stick the money I'm putting in my stocks into that instead.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • You won't lose money if the platform goes under, you still own the shares. Also, put all your money into the s&p.
  • Don't make me post the s&p all time graph again.
  • You won't lose money if the platform goes under, you still own the shares. Also, put all your money into the s&p.

Does that go for an ETF too?

I've been following a guy who analyses charts and does all that technical stuff with candles and plotting trying to predict where things will go. All seems like nonsense to me, but it's interesting with Bitcoin and friends as "chart goes down" or "chart goes up" are basically all we have to go off.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    You won't lose money if the platform goes under, you still own the shares. Also, put all your money into the s&p.
    Does that go for an ETF too?

Not sure. I just checked out the tracker fund and some of the platforms aren't that transparent on owning stocks and shares. Some platforms appear to take full ownership of anything you invest in and 'owe' you the cash. Seems complicated.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!