Microsoft Excel and Other Office Apps - Qs&As
  • Under the data tab. There's all the options along the top, one is data.

If you have a table (which is what forms puts the responses in, you just click anywhere in the table and select "from table/range") a whole new menu will open.

Its a bit hard to see what it can do and manipulate stuff if there's not data in there yet.

So it maybe a get responses then do the things situation.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ooooh, well there's a whole new place to explore. You're amazing, Face, thank you. I've completed some dummy responses so will throw it about and see how it works.
  • Now it's the morning and I am at my laptop I can follow up with more useful stuff.

I have to caveat all this with the fact I'm in a biggish org and we are all 100% Office 365'd up with all our stuff on Sharepoint, so some stuff I say may be moot if your org still uses, for instance, physical drives. (w drive etc)

But a quick look tells me that if you have an office 365 account you likely have a onedrive, which means you can create your form from there and that way the spreadsheet will be "static." (Hit the Add New or New button top left and select Forms for excel.)

It's been a while since I checked, but creating a form in forms defaults to creating a form, but the workbook in the responses section isn't tied to anything, so every time you click on open in excel from the form it opens a new workbook. Super annoying.

Anyhoo, I slightly digress.

If your form is a one off, and if you just need to bang out some pivot charts and there's a set period folks will be giving responses, then it might be straight forward. 

ie: Xmas party survey, get 100 responses in January about how it went, then stop taking responses, do stuff with the data. You can just create the form in forms, let the responses come in, then once you have them all, download and save the workbook and do stuff with the data.

If there's gonna be on going responses, and/or large amounts of responses, then you definitely want to set up the form with the workbook somewhere specific, either onedrive or sharepoint.

AND it actually matters what you do with the workbook. It's actually a bit of a no no to do too much editing of a forms workbook if it's gonna be capturing data ongoing. It will literally have issues with syncing data and stop capturing responses. (I've had this happen, but mostly in heavy use forms, with 1000s of responses.

If this is gonna be big and/or ongoing, Power Query is likely still the answer, but you'll need to work out how to query the data in the forms workbook from a second workbook. It's relatively easy, and works the same as doing it from a table within the same workbook, but there is a little more faffing.

I can strongly recommend the excel forums with specifics as well.

Proper experts respond. in the link there that Sergei Baklan dude is a freakin genius. He's answered many a question from me directly and saved my bacon.
  • Awesome, thanks again, Face. I was at a bit of a loss as to where to find an answer to my question. Sucks when you don't know the right language to search and I'm the expert in excel in my team which is a REALLY low bar. Never actually considered adding my own question to that forum. They're not real people like you lot....

I'm on for small numbers (probs around 100 if I'm lucky), open for a set period so a really simple set up. Looking on the power query stuff, I think all I need to do is unpivot the multiple choice responses which will make counting much easier. So I think I'm set!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I know it gets a bad rap, but this is the exact sort of thing that chat GPT is really good at helping with. You don't need to even really know what you're asking for, just describe what you're doing and what you want, and you'll get a 95% answer after a few questions.
  • Oh, yes! Recently signed up for ChatGPT. I wouldn't use it for everything but is really great on those days my corporate language fails me. I'll give that a shot next time, too. Cheers, Goobs.
  • I'm trying to add a drop down table to an MS word file and I am really struggling, can anyone help? I don't need it to be multiple selections, just a drop down box with 3 options.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Have you created a reference table for the drop down options? Pretty sure that's what's required.
  • Dropdowns in word are evil.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!