b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And Don’t Look Up too.
  • Couldn't get on with Dont Look Up.
    It treads a fine line so can kinda see how others would like it but for me it just drifted into smugness.

Its a wanky Idiocracy.
  • Jungle Cruise
    It’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Jungle Cruise. And it’s as fun as that sounds, while also being as uninspired as that sounds.
  • I didn’t want to end the year on a low note, having recently seen the atrocious Matrix Resurrections. So I spent the day watching 3 decent films.

45. Punch Drunk Love - 28 Dec
    Sander can really act when he wants to. A great performance in a romantic comedy of sorts by possibly one the best directors still making movies - PT Anderson aka the good Anderson.
    [8]

46. Badlands - 28 Dec
    Malick’s feature debut reminds me of Godard’s own feature debut, Breathless. And that’s as good a comparison as you can get. Sheen is great as a slightly unhinged murderer who takes his teenage girlfriend along with him in a spree.  
    [8]

47. The Green Knight - 28 Dec
    Quite the trip, this one. It’s good, although sometimes confusing and a bit too strange. It does make for good viewing for the sights and sounds, too.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Badlands is great. I haven’t seen any of his other work since Thin Red Line.
  • Thin Red Line is on my to-get/watch list. As is The New World. 

Tree of Life is beautiful but a challenging watch.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    96. Val
    The volume of self shot footage is the real attraction in this doc providing some fascinating insight to behind the scenes on several of Kilmer’s films. Combined with home movies and following him in recent times as he struggles to maintain an income whilst battling illness is heartbreaking at times. It still feels a bit superficial overall unfortunately but well worth a look. [7]

97. 8-Bit Christmas
    A decent crimbo effort, some good laughs throughout but probably wouldn’t go so far as to recommend it and doubt I’ll watch it in future years. [5]

98. Paddington
    Didn’t have much interest in seeing this but heard consistently good reviews and glad I finally listened. A great family film with some brilliant moments and hearty laughs. [8]

99. Riders of Justice
    Mads Mikkelsen on a revenge mission. A streak of the blackest of humour and a brilliant cast really make this. Worth going in without knowing much more in my view but one of my favourites of the year. [9]

100. Violent Cop
    Found a few of Takeshi Kitano’s early films on BFI player so working through them. This is an impressive debut, bleak and unflinching but utterly engaging throughout. And that ending. [7]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Thin Red Line is on my to-get/watch list. As is The New World.  Tree of Life is beautiful but a challenging watch.

I didn’t think much of TRL at the time but wonder if it’s worth revisiting actually.
  • It came out soon after SPR right? Me and a mate loved the latter so went to see TRL and, yeah it wasn't what we were really after. I've seen it since and enjoyed it more, but that's still probably 15 years ago or so. I reckon it's a grower.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I find Malick does cinema that is highly stunning to view, but utterly fucking boring to watch.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    It came out soon after SPR right? Me and a mate loved the latter so went to see TRL and, yeah it wasn't what we were really after. I've seen it since and enjoyed it more, but that's still probably 15 years ago or so. I reckon it's a grower.

That’s true. Might well have set my expectations. That and the cast since everyone in Hollywood was desperate to work with Malick.
  • I think DS's take is probs right too. Not saying the films of his I've seen are bad, but they do take their time a bit eh.
  • 87. Paddington 2
    Brilliant sequel that betters the first one by being a pretty much perfect family film with some great performances and a real heart. Hugh Grant is a superb baddie and Brendan Gleasons pronunciation of 'marmalade' gets me every time. 10

88. Luca
    Pixar do it again with a touching, visually stunning coming of age story that had me in tears by the end. 9
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Don’t Look Up
    Brilliant, darkly funny, and all-too realistic take on how the US would handle an actual extinction-threatening event. Hilarious and depressing in equal measure.
  • Gremill wrote:
    87. Paddington 2
    Brilliant sequel that betters the first one by being a pretty much perfect family film with some great performances and a real heart. Hugh Grant is a superb baddie and Brendan Gleasons pronunciation of 'marmalade' gets me every time. 10

88. Luca
    Pixar do it again with a touching, visually stunning coming of age story that had me in tears by the end. 9

I watch Luca at least 5 times a week as my son adores it.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Silencio Bruno!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    101. Polytechnique
    Intense drama based on a Montreal university mass shooting in the 80s. The whole aesthetic is very sparse with focus on the event but the minimal view of a few characters outside of that is still enough to feel the impacts. [7]
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Silencio Bruno!

We don't talk about Bruno.
  • More meta than Matrix.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cloud Atlas
    Turns out a bit of time and a rewatch is very kind to this movie. One act of kindness ripples through the ages and affects disparate stories which may or may not be happening to the same endlessly reincarnated souls. A tricky tale, and a magnificent effort at telling it on film.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Silencio Bruno!

Sorry senore vespa

PSN - minkymu
  • Palm Springs
    ‘Lonely-Island-guy-time-loop-film’ in ‘not-shit’ shocker.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Really enjoyed that.
  • Aye. Good movie that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I really didn’t expect much. The trailer sold it short.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    A few more… Office Christmas Party crass American comedy with a few good bits and Bateman is watchable. Don’t Look Up just go watch it it’s great. Crimson Peak missed this and don’t know why. Great setting and style even if the story was a bit obvious. Great cast and usual bonus point for Chastain being in it. Old Del Toro loves a face smashing eh?

That Crimson Peak house set is flipping stunning! Must have cost a mint.
  • 126. The Matrix: Resurrections
    How can you make a Matrix film and fuck up the action?! The previous sequels proved that that is all you really need. The most disappointing part of it really, the story was fine and the CG was great but man boring action in a Matrix film, sad times.
    [4]

127. Encanto
    The tech on display in this film is stunning, amazing stuff. Although I think the mouths maybe move too smoothly or something, some aspect of that threw me off. Plus it just never really grabbed me, maybe I was tired or maybe I'm just a little sick of the typical story formula of modern Pixar/Disney animation. You don't have to try and make me cry each time peeps, just tell a good story.
    [5]

128. The Matrix: Resurrections
    I'd booked myself in to see it twice with two different friends groups as I'd seen every other Matrix more than once at the cinema. Somewhat regretted it after the first viewing but I actually enjoyed it more this time. Knowing the action was garbage I got more into the story and I actually quite liked it. Makes the fact the action is terrible even sadder as it could have been a solid film with that.
    [6]

I was also surprised at how terrible the Matrix looked at times. The slow-mo footage especially looked like it had been shot without any attempt at making it look filmic at all, it just looked like real life footage. Another Matrix no-no considering how stylish and stylised the other movies were. Makes me wonder if the production was so rushed that they just didn't take the time to think about how they wanted to do the action or film the thing.
  • Watched promising young woman last night. I enjoyed it but called all the twists in advance. 6.5/10
    PSN - minkymu
  • Bad Boys For Life
    Absolute garbage from start to finish.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!