• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mannaboy wrote:
    Or a completely fabricated story one or the other for sure!

What does it bring a fabricated story or not have to do with anything?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Probably just being swamped by weird nerds defending Musk. It’s a thing.

It's been a thing for a long while now. Without even trying you end up hearing all kinds of fawning hero-worship shit, because Musk has a massive ego and his deeds must be publicised. And people coming to his defence the moment someone points out that maybe he's perhaps not the best role model is very real too, as we can clearly see.

It's fascinating.
  • At best he's a whimsy-driven financier/manager that derives praise and fortune off the back of the work of genuinely brilliant and interesting engineers and scientists.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Seriously, you’re having me on.

Things can only get better.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    At best he's a whimsy-driven financier/manager that derives praise and fortune off the back of the work of genuinely brilliant and interesting engineers and scientists.

I know that's meant to be slightly baity', but do yourself believe that to be a reasonable judgement of the man, as we know him today (it could all change in an instant, of course)?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mannaboy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Seriously, you’re having me on.

No, I’m not. Weird nerds defending Musk doesn’t preclude them from defending him from a fabricated story does it? It’s not an either/or.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Talking of a scientist judging the man.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I know that's meant to be slightly baity', but do yourself believe that to be a reasonable judgement of the man, as we know him today (it could all change in an instant, of course)?

More or less, yeah. I'm perfectly happy to give credit where it's due when people such as Musk do the right thing every so often, getting Starlink sorted for Ukraine was a good move for example. But in a general sense, all things considered, he's still a bellend.

Really this convo is or was about Musk's suitability as the new guardian of Twitter, on that point I really don't have a strong opinion. Maybe nothing much will change, or maybe the platform will veer one way or the other, fuck knows. I'd rather that Twitter became a footnote in the history of digital communication tbh.
  • I don't like Musk. All his shit is illusory promise and hyperbole. Wrt his worth, I mean paper billionaires, is primarily a function of collatoralising his ridiculously valued equity. Non discerning investors have pumped all his shit up, he can take advantage of that. Greater fool theory will no doubt save him, but rate rises and Fed tapering may fuck him. I think twitter is poisonous, perpetuating society's tribal nature and bi-partisan friction, increasing distrust due to a non-uniform policy of censorship.
  • "More important than Bezos, Jobs, Zuckerberg" to me just means 'a theoretically less awful billionaire', because he's a big science nerd dreamer type.
  • The fact we always seem to be looking to the 0.01% to make big important changes to our civilisation is the real issue here. It shouldn't be this way, we should not be relying on the benevolence of individuals who have exploited the system to gain as much agency as entire nations.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    I don't like Musk. All his shit is illusory promise and hyperbole. Wrt his worth, I mean paper billionaires, is primarily a function of collatoralising his ridiculously valued equity. Non discerning investors have pumped all his shit up, he can take advantage of that. Greater fool theory will no doubt save him, but rate rises and Fed tapering may fuck him. I think twitter is poisonous, perpetuating society's tribal nature and bi-partisan friction, increasing distrust due to a non-uniform policy of censorship.

I had 'woolly tech leadership' and 'reliance on welfare dosh' on my bingo card too. As for Twitter itself, it's whack-a-mole. Even if it was bankruptcy, and not Musk, people will go elsewhere.

Going back to the original topic, what do people make of Reddit? It appears to catch a lot less flak than Twatter or Facefuck, even though imo it's system, on paper, should create a far more toxic community (gamified 'karma' system, sub community moderators).
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Gurt, any specifics in the video you disagree with?
  • It would be AWESOME if we could catapult Elom Mosque INTO SPACE SO HE COULD FUCKING STOP RUINING OUR LIVES
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • "Elon Musk, is deeply respected by everyone who works in his company"

BIG HMMM

"He will transform civilisation as we know it"

Sigh

Honestly that video is such mental creepy fucking fawning almost cult-like shit, trying to make out like he's a truly 'great man' or the 'real deal' or something.

I stand by what I've said, that he's 'a theoretically less awful billionaire', and that we shouldn't be cheering the fact it takes one of the 0.01% to be bold and make major progress in some area. I may be wrong but I don't think Musk actually came up with any of the shit he's trying to do, he's an egotistical sci-fanboy Tony Stark wannabe.
  • 'All these people know and care about Elon Musk, why don't you? We should all celebrate Him!'

Mental.
  • Just looking at his wikipedia, he's got a pretty strong history of getting into stuff early. Not 'wow omg so visionary' early. Just earlier than big money tends to, which is probably part of his mystique (muskique?) among a certain class of person. 

1995 - first internet company. Did a lot of the coding himself. Part funded by his Dad. Sold four years later for $300 million. 

1999 - internet payments company. Which is very timely as this is the start of the dotcom boom and a few years later everyone is running around trying to work out how to get people to trust online payments. After some mergers and acquisitions and his departure, it becomes Paypal and gets sold to Ebay for $1.5 billion. 

Next few years he starts, from scratch, an aerospace manufacturer. Buys a huge stake in Tesla in its first year of operation for peanuts. And co-founds a solar energy company with his cousins (which, while successful, was drowning in debt and eventually got wrapped up in Tesla). 

So there's 10ish years of extremely impressive businessmanning there and a couple of slices of very good luck. He probably got high on the supply of people blowing smoke up his ass though and started puffing it out himself. Self-inflating his reputation, driving speculation in his companies. Past 10-15 years he's done the tunnel / hyperloop thing that doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. Fairly terrifying experiments with neurotechnology. And the non-profit OpenAI, which is still chugging away doing alright.

Griff is right about him I think. Dotcom millionaires / billionaires aren't necessarily anything special. They just had something that looked like the tech that big rich companies needed, right when they were all clamouring for it. After that point, he makes a series of speculative investments in future tech that either pay off unbelievably well or are a bit more mixed.
  • "Elon Musk, is deeply respected by everyone who works in his company" BIG HMMM
    Heh.

Also from wikipedia
    Musk's managerial style and treatment of his employees have been heavily criticized. Business Insider reported that Tesla employees were told not to walk past Musk's desk because of his "wild firing rampages". The Wall Street Journalreported that, after Musk insisted on branding his vehicles as "self-driving", he faced criticism from his engineers, some of whom resigned in response, with one stating that Musk's "reckless decision making... ha[d] potentially put customer lives at risk".
  • His primary accomplishments could have been achieved by say, publicly funded science/engineering programs, for example some kind of national space agency or something.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    'All these people know and care about Elon Musk, why don't you? We should all celebrate Him!'

Mental.

Perhaps I’m just tired of hearing the negative spin on a successful person trying to provide the world with machines that have a positive impact. That said, it doesn’t really matter a jot to me or Musk what badgers think of him so I’ll shut up now.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    His primary accomplishments could have been achieved by say, publicly funded science/engineering programs, for example some kind of national space agency or something.

History wouldn't refute your point entirely, but I didn't mention the Borgias for nothing.

Incidentally, I've been reading about Chernobyl recently. 

Some would say it failed, partly because of the culture fostered by publicly funded institutions.
    A widely shared ideology can very often reward arse-licking, it seems. And like light touch regulation in capitalist industry, that kind of culture isn't conducive to the running of critical systems either.

Electric cars aren't new, neither were mobile phones. Public institutions tend to step in after such markets are proven, except in rare cases, usually inspired by a martial catalyst (like the space race and the NHS, edit - and nuclear power).
  • It's console wars for "grown ups"!
  • If it's Billionaire Wars, then I've got to go with Steve Ballmer. Largest individual shareholder of MS, worth over $100 billion, just happened to know Bill Gates at Harvard and got in at MS early doors and maximised his stock options. No discernible talents. Absolute legend.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's console wars for "grown ups"!

No-one's called anyone a cunt yet. This has been a cream tea compared to other discussions. Hope it stays at that level.
  • Incidentally, I've been reading about Chernobyl recently.  Some would say it failed, partly because of the culture fostered by publicly funded institutions.

I don't think the rampant corruption and culture of lies can be blamed on public funding...

I'm well aware of the usefulness of private enterprise and the competition that ensues, when capitalism is working well it brings many benefits. I'm not against it as a whole. This model seems to work best for innovation and optimisation within a given sector, smaller organisations typically.

Some causes are so important and require so much resources that more powerful entities need to take the reins. Projects of that scale are ideally funded by society as a whole, with proper accountability and focus on achieving the end goal, not just making a profit.
  • 'cream tea' definitely sounds like a swear filter thing
  • If Musk really understood what humanity needs and wanted to 'transform civilisation', he would have committed to putting $43 billion into initiatives to reform and provide material support for the education system, instead of buying fucking Twitter.

'A robotics lab for every school' or something.
  • He doesn't have the dosh to do that as Griff explained and only the state can use the mechanism of leveraging to do that, and he and his libertarian mates don't want a state to do that. The man's a fucking buffoon
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Out of curiosity if a billionaire like Musk did want to do something like help fund education on a massive scale, how could they effectively achieve that? There must be some way presumably? I'm not very clued up on these kinds of economic actions.
  • I suppose in this country, you could donate to Academy schools? Universities? Colleges?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!