If you could live anywhere in the world....
  • Tough question. That Colorado house sounds great. Though I'd be freaked out that I'd get invaded by Bigfoot or murderous, rapey mountain men.

I'm not afraid of murderous rapey mountain men.

They're afraid of me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • + 1 for a city, though it has to be one that isn't normally overrun with tourists (the current state of things notwithstanding). It's what would put me off great places I've been like Paris, Rome, NYC. Berlin would be a shout, though I like being near the sea as well. Lisbon is somewhere I've considered switching to.

For retirement, give me a Scottish island. I like where my in-laws are on Mull, nice and remote.
  • Wow... That's page turn
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Tough question. That Colorado house sounds great. Though I'd be freaked out that I'd get invaded by Bigfoot or murderous, rapey mountain men.

They're afraid of me
    Funny story,

About 10 years ago I took part in a grading in which I had to last 7 minutes against 3 guys, improvised weaponry and full contact was allowed. Before the timer started I was held back by my arms for a full minute whilst all three guys were allowed to pinch, kick and slap me.

At the end the instructor took me to a private room to debrief and told me that I was foaming at the mouth and he was genuinely worried about the other three guys.

I was a very different person back then. Lol
  • I'm pretty scared about bears, they end up in my dreams all the time. Must be deep instinctual caveman stuff. As long as I could carry a massive gun or two while hiking about I'd probably feel ok though. But ideally I'd like to live somewhere where bears/wolves/big cats have been driven to extinction, as horribly tragic as that is..

I kind of like being the scariest thing around.

They're afraid of me
    Funny story,

About 10 years ago I took part in a grading in which I had to last 7 minutes against 3 guys, improvised weaponry and full contact was allowed. Before the timer started I was held back by my arms for a full minute whilst all three guys were allowed to pinch, kick and slap me.

At the end the instructor took me to a private room to debrief and told me that I was foaming at the mouth and he was genuinely worried about the other three guys.

I was a very different person back then. Lol
    They were allowed to pinch and slap you? Least they couldn't tickle you or give Indian burns

http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Haha. Didn't see that typo!
    They also gave me wedgies
  • Honestly hadn’t realised that was a typo. Makes more sense now, right enough.
  • If we're talking being very comfortable financially, Harlem.

I couldn't live in America in a similar situation as I have now though.
  • I want to retire in a place where I can spend my days sanding down my boat by a beautiful tranquil lake. 

Until the government black helicopter lands and I get recruited back for one final mission even though I swore I gave that life up long ago
  • I want to retire in a place where I can spend my days sanding down my boat by a beautiful tranquil lake. 

Until the government black helicopter lands and I get recruited back for one final mission even though I swore I gave that life up long ago

Watched Commando recently did you?
  • Maaaaybe.
  • Living out side of urban scene means knowing a lot more than I do about self sufficiency. Plumbing, heating, carpentry, vehicle repair etc all a bit harder when you can't call on someone to turn up within 24 hours.

Also rely on internet for work so need good solid internet speeds, ruling out a number of more isolated locations.

Finally with kids, it's important they have others around them, friends and adventures and love interests and games. Living half a mile from anyone rules that out really.

So for work, it's probably city. I'm thinking Zurich, Vancouver, Gothenburg, Buenos Aires out of the ones I know.

For retirement (aka: no kids) ideally I'd like multiple bases. Somewhere sunny and hot for winters, and somewhere milder and community-minded for summers. Erm, maybe Sardinia for winter? Ooh Corsica, I speak French so that helps. Yeah. Corsica for winters, and Brittany for summers.
  • Cap D'Agde in France for retirement :D

I like working in London tbh, even though I am ~1hr to central atm. Once that bastard crossrail opens it's 20mins from my place to Soho.

Canada is a great shout though, I think if I had to move atm I'd look at Canada or NZ. Oh or Ireland actually, I've a bunch of mates over there and always love heading over.
  • I think Thanos' retirement place was quite nice...

I can identify with Wookie's longing for a slice of wilderness. For me it would have to be a rambling house on the coast near hills and a forest. Temperate climate, snow in winter's nice, but must be good temperatures in the summer.

No neighbours.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • NZ and Canada deffo appeal, but prob more as a holiday destination. I'm too lazy and like my home comforts too much to want to live remotely, don't want a big city either...so something away from city but close enough to a shop to pick up milk and beers in less than 10 mins.
    Basically northumberland is probably perfect, which is where I live. So instead of the exotic destination, can i have option 2 and just have more money and a bigger house please?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I need proper open country and real forests. Considering Finland.

Going anywhere really hot is daft atm, climate change could make some areas uninhabitable.

That would be my choice, if I had complete financial freedom, I'd definitely have a flat in Helsinki and a summer cottage on a lake out there. Beautiful country, wonderful people, great work ethic, I can think of few finer places to raise a family

edit: there were a few incidences of extremely drink folk drowning whilst having a sauna evening, so the government mandated that saunas could not be built any closer than 20m to a shore. So there's a sauna built on a pontoon anchored 25m into a lake near Nummi-Pusula, brilliant
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The shut me off from the grid option still makes me laugh on the gaming forum that meets regularly for games.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The shut me off from the grid option still makes me laugh on the gaming forum that meets regularly for games.

Oh I'd still want a decent internet connection.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    John Matrix would not want Internet.
  • Cicely, Alaska, in the 90's.

I love a TV show aerial America on the smithsonian channel. Makes America look so appealing... from a distance.

Im actually very happy in my rural Irish backwater.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    John Matrix would not want Internet.

I am not John Matrix. Thankfully
  • For me, my ideal place is Glasgow. What it lacks in numbers, it makes up for in quality restaurant wise (shout out to the chip). Then there is its football club, the Glasgow Celtics (up the Hulas! lads); its welcoming citizens (known as wedgies), tolerant as they are of all outsiders, who are affectionately referred to as fuds. No brainer for me. Glasgow one day I will be in you.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thatsbait.gif
  • Berlin sounds good, though I love Glasgow and suspect I could love it even more if I had a half decent job. Budapest is cool too. I've not really been abroad an awful lot.
  • I’d like to live on top of an Ivory tower perched atop a striding beast that takes me wherever it fancies.
  • I can’t think of any ideal places to work. I’d love a place that has mosques aplenty and halal food everywhere but isn’t fucked up in so many ways like so many ‘Muslim countries’. And also has easy access to good hospitals and transport and things you’d get in a big city like London. And things like actual good jobs and financial security etc etc. 

The closest I can think of is Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) or something. As it stands, London is what I know and what I’m currently happy with. 

Retiring to somewhere like Mauritius would be nice. But getting hold of thing isn’t going to be easy. Choice of stuff will be limited.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I never want to drive in martitius again. Everyone thinks they are bloody nigel mansell chasing down aryton senna at the monaco gp. Its insane and dangerous. Worse driving of anywhere in the world ive been. Lovely beaches though.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I can’t think of any ideal places to work. I’d love a place that has mosques aplenty and halal food everywhere but isn’t fucked up in so many ways like so many ‘Muslim countries’. And also has easy access to good hospitals and transport and things you’d get in a big city like London. And things like actual good jobs and financial security etc etc.  The closest I can think of is Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) or something. As it stands, London is what I know and what I’m currently happy with.  Retiring to somewhere like Mauritius would be nice. But getting hold of thing isn’t going to be easy. Choice of stuff will be limited.

Is what you're describing not just London?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!