Homeschooling Help
  • Yoss: 6-7 year olds reading a 600 page book about teenage wizards.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I was about 6 or 7 when I read Lord of the Rings.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Then you were some mad genius and must have been on accelerated programmes.

Reminds me of the Pupil that I had to have a sit down chat with in December because they had written 'I am applying for English because I have always loved the subject. In fact my parents were amazed when I was able to read full sentences from newspapers at aged 14 months.'
  • So? There's a massive difference between some children accessing more challenging books and books aimed at much older children being given as exemplars.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No accelerated programmes, unfortunately. Possibly why I ended up getting bored of school and dropping out of education before uni.
  • Balls to the expectations.
    I get so annoyed by it all sometimes, the pressures put on parents, on teachers and on kids to meet some arbitrary goalposts can fuck off.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So? There's a massive difference between some children accessing more challenging books and books aimed at much older children being given as exemplars.

I mean, that’s fair, but what do you do if you are ahead of your reading age? There aren’t many books aimed at 6 year olds with more challenging language in them.
  • The older I get the more anti establishment I'm getting.

Let kids be kids! RARGAGAGAGAGARAGAGARBLE.

I'm going to get a drink
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    So? There's a massive difference between some children accessing more challenging books and books aimed at much older children being given as exemplars.

I mean, that’s fair, but what do you do if you are ahead of your reading age? There aren’t many books aimed at 6 year olds with more challenging language in them.

What are you talking about, Yoss? The point is that it is a shit exemplar, not that children must be banned from reading them on pain of being thrown into a fire.
  • g.man wrote:
    So we get sent planning for PE lessons for the kids. Word got out (via my wife) that I used to be a PE coach and also hold a gymnastics instructor qualification so guess whos getting badgered to help all the other parents with their kids gymnastics lessons... goddamn it.  Is it selfish if I say no, I'm swamped as is?
    Just send them links to the Joe Wicks videos.
    Might be a bit violent for children.

Going to rescue this from the page turn.
  • At that age I was reading copies of Razzle I'd found in the bushes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

What are you talking about, Yoss? The point is that it is a shit exemplar, not that children must be banned from reading them on pain of being thrown into a fire.

I don’t get why it’s shit is all. Seems like something I’d have read at around that age had it existed.
  • Because you are a massive outlier Yoss. Its a terrible recommendation for that age group.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Thinking about it, maybe it was The Hobbit I read at around that age, with LotR being a little older. I do remember being assessed as having the reading level of an 11 year old at age 6.
    Because you are a massive outlier Yoss. Its a terrible recommendation for that age group.

Right, but from about the age of 12 or 13 I hated school, I hated education, I wasn’t being stretched, I was bored to tears and I eventually dropped out of it and ended up working in retail.

Perhaps something like this might have been useful in recognising what I was capable of and pushing me towards something more challenging which would have kept me more engaged?
  • An exemplar here is not a recommendation of a read, Yoss. It is saying 'This is an example of a child working at a Greater Depth. Use this to example to gauge whether a child is working at greater depth.'

One of the other examples is George's Marvellous Medicine. Look at the gulf between those two.

It is a terrible examplar. It is clear that a child working at that level is way above the expected standard. To use it as an exemplar is stupid because the it is an unrealistically high expectation, even for most GD children.
  • So now that this got a bit more serious, I can share my experience of being totally gobsmacked at what my year 2 boy is supposed to be able to do.

Yes, learning about grammar is a worthy goal. but yes, it should be age appropriate.

Learning about the name of some grammatical thing, then remembering it by heart, then having to write a frankly codified text which specifically contains these things (destroying a large chunk of creativity, ownership and individualism to the writing) is a heart-breaking thing to teach my son.

Perhaps in my day it was too far the other way (we learnt nothing of grammar, right up to and including GSCE English, as far as my memory serves) but the fun of writing a creative story with almost no boundaries is a precious memory - I'd take my text book home and continue writing after school sometimes.

For Erik, it's a chore, which involves hours of upfront difficult reading, concepts, and rote learning before he can put pen to paper to write something incredibly constricted and controlled. It's also really difficult - conceptually and in practice, and I think he's a pretty bright kid.

All the stuff about exam boards and publishers is disgusting, a real cartel thing, that's been encouraged by NuLabour and Gove and now seems almost impossible to dismantle.

the idea that Erik should be able to read and understand, by himself, the concepts of death, relationships, present in Goblet of Fire just astounds me.
  • FWIW I'd argue that Goblet of Fire is aimed at older readers than LotR

LotR has very little grey in it, very little moral equivocating and complexity of character, nothing about adolescent relationships except fairy story love and mild inferences which I'm absolutely convinced no 6-7 year old would even notice let alone understand, little to no mystery requiring recall of earlier details and conversations etc etc etc.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Thinking about it, maybe it was The Hobbit I read at around that age, with LotR being a little older. I do remember being assessed as having the reading level of an 11 year old at age 6.
    Because you are a massive outlier Yoss. Its a terrible recommendation for that age group.

Right, but from about the age of 12 or 13 I hated school, I hated education, I wasn’t being stretched, I was bored to tears and I eventually dropped out of it and ended up working in retail.

Perhaps something like this might have been useful in recognising what I was capable of and pushing me towards something more challenging which would have kept me more engaged?

Dude this is a pull back and a half. Hobbit vs LOTR might seem inconsistent to us but christ that's a reading age gap.
  • I mean there's a lot less Dickensian descriptive nonsense in GoF, fewer chapters are used to describe vales and valleys and battles I guess?
  • I now know 3 people (and I'm not terribly social) who have dropped out of primary school teaching for various reasons, but they all had this grammar shite as a common gripe
  • I’m not jumping in on either side of this chat, but I do want to say to Yoss that he’s not a Weirdy McWeirdface just for being able to read young. I was on Asimov and Tolkien at that age too. I know damn well that I wasn’t really understanding or absorbing the meaning of everything I read, but I was reading it, and voraciously.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Dude this is a pull back and a half. Hobbit vs LOTR might seem inconsistent to us but christ that's a reading age gap.

Honestly can’t remember the books that well, I was quite young.

From my googling it seems that the Goblet of Fire is recommended for readers of about 11, so based on my assessed reading age at 6, it seems like something I’d have been able to handle.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is on the verge of becoming a pissing contest, and that is not the way to (metaphorically) assess kids - and even worse to say 'well I did it'. But as an English teacher, I expect most other English teachers read beyond their years, hence their passion for it. But there is a massive difference between reading and understanding.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s fair, I genuinely can’t say for sure what I read and understood.

My reaction was mostly based on the fact that I feel like I was let down by my education through several schools. I just hope that teachers can and do recognise kids like I was and can offer them more than I was offered, that’s all.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That also verges on 'my teachers were shit so all are.

I hope in this fucking climate, in this fucking climate it is understood that teachers just want the best for kids and not massive holidays or anything else.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am absolutely not suggesting that in any way, shape or form.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I know you're not, but invoking your own education gives implications that that is what future educatikns may do. One of my biggest peeves is the "well I didn't get it so I guess no one does" argument as if education doesn't move on as tech does.
  • Celtic Connections is a traditional music festival, run in Glasgow at this time every year. They usually have a schools/education strand as part of their programming. So, this year, they’ve done it online. Mini-concerts aimed at homeschooling. Might be some good stuff in here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLboTtfd6l4fqONOo35oXbSoZB17g-vL-8

2ckrpvM.png
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My wife's best mate is also playing at it so nepotism.
  • I can help if you need a mentor, particularly for situations.involving conflict resolution, bullying, and all around shittalking / teaching other kids some respect
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!