Homeschooling Help
  • poprock wrote:
    I’m not jumping in on either side of this chat, but I do want to say to Yoss that he’s not a Weirdy McWeirdface just for being able to read young. I was on Asimov and Tolkien at that age too. I know damn well that I wasn’t really understanding or absorbing the meaning of everything I read, but I was reading it, and voraciously.

Yeah so that was the thing, right? no-one is saying Yoss was weird (note past simple case use there, and not present) as a kid, we're saying that expecting children to be reading (and presumably enjoying / understanding most of) HP book 4 to be marked as "doing better than average" as an example is nutso, especially when compared to Geroge's Marvellous Medicine which absolutely is a book for 6-7 year olds to enjoy
  • Having a reading age of 11 at 6 IS exceptional otherwise what the fuck does it even mean to say that
  • Choice of books is so difficult if you don't know the child - reading level, interest level, personal preferences, attention span, ability in terms of inference and comprehension, vocabulary... (I'm a schools librarian, by the way)
    And then there's the thing that most people ignore - do they always need to be reading at the top of their ability?
    Psychologically, it can be massively beneficial to revisit simpler books - especially during times of crisis when children are unsettled. Colleagues of mine who work in upper secondary say that teens during exams feel less stressed after reading stories they remember from when they were younger.

Anyhow, as a service to you lot, if you want I can sneakily add a few new users to our eBook platform if you need access to kids books (fiction) for ages 8 to 16.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Having a reading age of 11 at 6 IS exceptional otherwise what the fuck does it even mean to say that

I agree. Never meant to imply that I didn’t.
  • Anyhow, as a service to you lot, if you want I can sneakily add a few new users to our eBook platform if you need access to kids books (fiction) for ages 8 to 16.

That’s a really kind offer.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    I’m not jumping in on either side of this chat, but I do want to say to Yoss that he’s not a Weirdy McWeirdface just for being able to read young. I was on Asimov and Tolkien at that age too. I know damn well that I wasn’t really understanding or absorbing the meaning of everything I read, but I was reading it, and voraciously.

Yeah so that was the thing, right? no-one is saying Yoss was weird (note past simple case use there, and not present) as a kid, we're saying that expecting children to be reading (and presumably enjoying / understanding most of) HP book 4 to be marked as "doing better than average" as an example is nutso, especially when compared to Geroge's Marvellous Medicine which absolutely is a book for 6-7 year olds to enjoy

If that sort of reading level is expected for simply being above average, then I can see why that’s an issue.

My point was more around finding a way to recognise those children who are exceptional in order find a way to nurture them. I have no problem with this HP being used for this purpose, as it doesn’t sound like it would have been out of reach for me at that age, and some sort of formal recognition at a younger age with appropriate support might have helped put me on a better path in life.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    As sliding doors moments go, this is a strange one
  • Fuck me. Have I gone crazy!?! At least Funk gets it.
  • So my 7yo has to write a persuasive letter to Bohnson on something. School has provided no instructions in the email, it was just “here you go some English intervention work” and a couple of examples. 

Anyway. Taken it upon myself to explain to him what the letter is supposed to achieve and what kind of language to use (persuasive, emotional, invoke sympathy etc). This isn’t easy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Fuck me. Have I gone crazy!?! At least Funk gets it.

No you haven't. Yoss is arguing for something entirely different than what the purpose of what you are talking about is.

Elf, does he know who Marcus Rashford is? Could be where to start if so.
  • Phew!

Elf - Will post some bits after kids are in bed.
  • My 6 year old had a reading age of 11, he better not end up at the Guardian!!
  • Is your lad Year 3, Elf?
  • It does seem that the expectation of ks1 and 2 English is incongruous with other work. For the boy today we had:

Phonics - ir spellings (see earlier cheating)
    Maths - using greater than and less than symbols
    Geography - learn the names of the countries in Great Britain and match the flags.
    English - Adjectives and synonyms. Write these 6 adjectives ranked from most to least exciting (x3). Rewrite these four sentences with more interesting adjectives.

Seemed a step up compared to the other work.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A child's reading age seems to be the most Tory donglength thing ever.
  • Is your lad Year 3, Elf?

Yes.

Thanks.
  • poprock wrote:
    Anyhow, as a service to you lot, if you want I can sneakily add a few new users to our eBook platform if you need access to kids books (fiction) for ages 8 to 16.

That’s a really kind offer.

Meant to add - message me and I'll send you the details.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • regmcfly wrote:
    A child's reading age seems to be the most Tory donglength thing ever.

Pride in yer kids is fine but i’ll yup to this.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Thinking about it, maybe it was The Hobbit I read at around that age, with LotR being a little older. I do remember being assessed as having the reading level of an 11 year old at age 6.
    Because you are a massive outlier Yoss. Its a terrible recommendation for that age group.

Right, but from about the age of 12 or 13 I hated school, I hated education, I wasn’t being stretched, I was bored to tears and I eventually dropped out of it and ended up working in retail.

Perhaps something like this might have been useful in recognising what I was capable of and pushing me towards something more challenging which would have kept me more engaged?

I think I read the Hobbit at 7, Lord of the rings at about 10.
  • Edit. Doesnt matter.
  • Dear Tigro,

I have a genuine question but it’s a little delicate.

Basically I’ve seen my wife’s WhatsApp school group and there’s a women in there, Helen i think,  the one with the dark hair and that second hand 4x4 that she thinks makes her look all special.  Her.  Anyway, Helen knows this other woman (don’t know her) and this woman knows someone else (don’t know this person either) who has been writing the syllabus for primary kids and apparently they’re going to teach babies how to do anal and that it’s actually ok to not be straight!  I know we’ve all got to be seen to be politically correct nowadays but teachers showing kids how to do not straight anal is just a step too far!  I’m feeling pretty outraged right now and my wife says Helen and even Joanne B are thinking about removing their kids and home schooling.  Apparently they tried to ring the school to complain but they just got fobbed off by that bitch on reception who told them the head was in hospital with COVID (yeah right, exactly what i thought too - probably on one of their 14 weeks holidays!!!). I think I’ll probably blame Jeremy Corbyn and the BBC and maybe something else that Helen mentioned but could you tell me...
    1 How to get my kid out of the lessons, 
    B.if I’ll need him/her to undergo any conversion therapy and 
    3. why it is that you’re allowed to teach this sick leftist rubbish to my little princess/prince.

Thanks, and yours faithfully,

A worried to death parent who only wants the best for their child.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    My 6 year old had a reading age of 11, he better not end up at the Guardian!!

Ha
  • Yeah I think Daddy sums it up well actually

Maths is fine
    Reading is fine
    Science is fine
    Anything to do with literacy or topics involves fucking essays full of technical requirements based on complex but loose outlines
  • Dear Tigro,..

Obviously this is a home schooling issue now and it allows parents to take more control and teach the anal sex syllabus their way.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • As a single parent, I bought one of those automatic sex machines to demonstrate speed and angle of entry.
  • Just buy them a dick chalice. If they can read the instructions not only will they get sex education lesson but also they'll have a reading age of 13.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Hahaha. Great work, chaps.

Elf, did they literally just set the task with no further detail? That's a bit shit. Very harsh for you and him.

If you drop me your email I can likely send you over some language banks you can print off for him (if you have a printer) in the morning.

Now, without knowing the school it isn't certain what he'll be learning as the government whack years 3 and 4 together. However the below would likely be a good bet in year 3 at this time.

- paragraphing around a theme
    - extending ideas using if, when, because, although.

If he just nailed those, along with capital letters, full stops, and reasonable spelling, I think that would be a good 'un. I'm not sure how long the letter should be ( one day of work? 3?) but the following gives you an outline.

So, persuasive letter.

1 paragraph introduction - Must tell BoJo why he is writing. What he wants to happen.

2nd paragraph - main bit of writing. Could be more paragraphs but keep to one if he isn't confident. Having missed a huge chunk of Yr2 they may not have even discussed paragraphs yet. Maybe 3-4 persuasive points here, developed using the conjunctions above. The world will clearly be better if you stop closing the parks or Free school meals would.be brilliant for so many children although I know it will be very expensive.

3rd paragraph. Thanks for reading. Repeat the reason for writing one final time. Yours faithfully.

Persuasive features to include might be - flatter your audience, use some facts/figures, be emotive. As the best PM, you would never let children starve. Maybe stick them in a list and tell kiddo to tick them off each time he does one.

Hope that is of some vague use...
  • https://youtube.com/c/misterwootube

An excellent channel for certain age groups. Havent delved too much but did years ago look at some of his simple class explanations, and some more exploratory ones, eg of completing the square, which I would have enjoyed when I was doing GCSE maths.

https://youtu.be/McDdEw_Fb5E

Probably we're all too young to have kids at this age (sorry davyk) but thought I'd share just in case. Most of all this guy seems to have a rare gift of explaining why maths is fun, and if you can make your child get that, you only need to do it once.

My dad did that when I was 6 and teacher said I was struggling at maths. We did maths after school every day for a few weeks. "We're gonna play a game" he said, "the game is called maths". Sorted me out all the way to further maths, and it was only seeing a barrister in court when I was 17 and doing work experience that stopped me from doing a maths degree.

If that sounds intimidating, it shouldn't be. Just try to make it fun. The kid'll do the rest.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • @Tiger. Thanks that’s really helpful. Yes, they just sent the attachments and that’s it. I don’t blame them too much. This is an extra piece of work to make up for stuff the kids missed during the first proper lockdown when home schooling wasn’t set up and not much was being sent out etc. So they are sending some of this stuff on top of what they have to do every day for current work. It’s all a lot for the teachers and I know it’s hard for them.

I’ll sit down with him tomorrow and try it. Will focus on paragraphs. As they say this is for stuff missed last year (when he was in yr2) it’s likely that paragraphing is one of the aims of the task? I might also send a polite and gentle email to the teacher and ask for a one line answer on what they are expecting too.
  • Elf get your kid to write a letter to Johnson persuading him to spend more time with all his kids from his various affairs that he pretends don't exist.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!