Homeschooling Help
  • I've been getting annoyed at my daughters maths recently. she's been doing fine with it, and was working on long multiplations in the 'normal' way fine...then suddenly they've started introducing this ridiculous visual method where you draw it out in a table with blocks for hundreds, 10s and 1s in separate rows and columns then mulitply them in a matrix cross reference thing. and it's just stupid cos it takes 10 times longer than just working it out which she can do. and it's a pain drawing it all out and trying to fit the required number of blocks in the area given etc.
    i could understand the logic if this was step 1 and therefore easier for them to understand and visualise the multiplication. but they've been doing it normally for ages so why now? grrrrr.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yep... I feel your pain. Its pretty ridiculous.
  • Whats the justification for still teaching kids long multiplication and division?
    The old "you wont always have a calculator in your pocket" reason is thoroughly debunked.
    We are basically cyborgs now.
  • It develops mental acuity. Of they hadn't taught me that, I wouldn't be able to recite 100 different cambabe accounts, down the last underscore and xx, of the top of my head.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Thats what bookmarks are for grandad.
    Do you want me to setup some one click payments for you as well?
  • Call me grandad some more. I normally pay top dolla for that.
  • I did as well. Honestly I don't know where this shit comes from

• The only outcome of this is more inequality.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The only outcome of this is more inequality.

I think inequalities is key stage 3.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!