A thread for watch love
  • Don't get that at all, but I'm sure there's a small crossover audience that like watches and Mario. If you had a drawer full of more sober divers it maybe makes sense.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Tag connected, they've really misjudged the market there. 3 grand for nothing, fuck off. But then they embraced (and still do) quartz as well, so why am I surprised

I wish they'd let Heuer go as a premium brand and make their own watches again
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Given Samsung are providing Nintendo with OLED screens now surely a tie up with a galaxy watch makes more sense, especially as the tag also uses the same google wearable os, albeit reskinned by tag.

That would be more like £600.

The mario animations on the tag are nice, but nothing a top spec galaxy watch or an apple watch couldnt do for less than a 5th of the price
    PSN - minkymu
  • New Casioaks. I like the design, but the visibility doesn't seem great and there's something not very premium about them. Should make the originals easier to get anyway.

• The Mario Tag smart watch has sold out!
    PSN - minkymu
  • The PS5 situation seems to have turned a mass of people into speculators, you could probably sell anything like that now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But it was horrible, am wondering how that recent Seiko video game thing happened though, saw some adverts for it on facefuck
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Tissot are putting the impressive powermatic 80 movement in more watches.

The latest is the Seastar diver 2000 (600m) with a stainless steel case and a ceramic bezel. Nice texture to the dial too. Plus 80hrs power reserve

D3-F8-DE0-A-61-F0-4-F3-D-B3-DC-7-E19-B4926-F05.jpg

£849 is decent too
    PSN - minkymu
  • Watch buying is never rational. I have fallen in love with a watch thats really not that good, it’s expensive but not that expensive (£1700 ish), it doesn’t have a fancy movement (its a quartz) but by christ it has some wrist presence. Based on an iconic design and case shape. It looks lovely on my wrist.

I think im going to treat myself after i managed to book in the biggest deal my company has ever had in its 6 years of business.

I give you the non rational choice of the 37mm Tag Heuer Monaco Quartz.

892-F9-C79-4-C95-4259-8-D85-7-EAE0-B9-E13-B2.jpg

Defo my next purchase in the next 8 weeks

PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a fondness for that general shape.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just remembered those NASA watches...
  • You cant beat a good tonneau case
    PSN - minkymu
  • Oris have jumped on the textured dial / green dial trends with this £2030 ltd edition …..

Based on the Oris pro pilot big crown automatic

C0-F0-EA77-D231-447-D-86-FF-F1-C9-AA80-D01-B.jpg

505-EE8-F5-1-C2-C-44-B1-B579-9-EBC5-B6-A6387.jpg

The Okavango Air Rescue ltd edition. Nice case back too. Interestingly it uses numerals cut from superluminova for a 3d effect

Comes on an Ericas original parachute elastic strap like they used to use in the marine nationale French special forces

I have a strap in black from Erica on my Seiko Tuna. Very comfy

PSN - minkymu
  • Seiko also still pushing out the great dials with the matt grey brushed textured dial on its latest ‘Willard’. Comes with an olive woven nato and a grey woven nato. £1300 is s bargain imo.

Smaller the the other ‘Willards’ at 43mm vs 45mm

A67-A140-F-83-C0-4-E1-C-84-A2-694-E88-DAE629.jpg

That dial and case shape tho… dang

Called a Willard as it is the same case style of Seiko diver that Martin Sheens character Captain Willard wore in Apocalypse Now
    PSN - minkymu
  • https://youtu.be/dgEif5qL_Z4

A video review of the Okavango Oris
    PSN - minkymu
  • I like that Oris much more in the photo's than the video. That Seiko is a stunner though.
  • A video of the new Willard with the grey textured dial. Phwoar

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZRh9F7aJK5U&feature=share
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minky, I'm quite a fan of the Monaco.  I have a Carrera, but I'd probably like a Monaco at some point, although I have no idea what I'd wear it with.  I'm still on about 83839892389 waiting lists for a Speedmaster Silver Snoopy edition (I still don't have any type of Speedmaster so want one of them), but then I reckon I need another classic, 60s-70s vibe dress watch and the Monaco might fit that.

To go along with my environmental credentials, my wife got my a Holzkern watch for my birthday.  Carved out of zebra wood.  I've always wanted a watch with wooden detailing so I'm very happy with it.

uwvoHcH.jpg
  • The Omega Snoopy is a real collectable piece. Very jealous if you grab one of them.

That wooden watch has some great details. The blued hands are a lovely detail. Some nice details to the sub dials too. The grain on the wood is nice too.

Is it light or does it have a bit of heft? Either way i bet it wears lovely. Very nice piece. Not seen a nice wooden watch since the old Tissot ones from the late 80’s
    PSN - minkymu
  • The sundials are really nice, that bottom one that forms a wedge is split into 14 for half-days across a weekly calendar.  It's really sharp when you look at it, really nicely lined up.  It's the perfect weight; it's one of the quartz ones and not one of their automatic movements (my wife's on maternity leave so I think expecting an automatic watch as a gift would have been a bit excessive...!), but you feel it on your wrist nicely.

The links are made from the same block of wood.  That consistency just adds something beautiful to it, it's quite different to most of my other watches.
  • Aye, that's smart Elm.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh wooden links too. Really nice
    PSN - minkymu
  • I may have a new favourite watch, which has overtaken the Tag Monaco Quartz as my next watch.

I am drawn to more unusual shape watch cases lately, which are ironically the more traditional heritage style pieces, rather than some new fangled case style craze.

This is the 47mm Longines DolceVita mens art deco dial. I mean wow. Also comes on a black or a tan strap if you dont like the navy blue one. £1350

9-FC2-D29-F-7-B47-4528-A776-A41-FE5-AC158-E.jpg
    85-A77-B13-7579-4-E18-8377-395-A21-C906-F3.jpg
    3-F481-D79-4-E87-400-A-BD10-A5936-A8-A37-CA.jpg

Irl the dial is magnificent with dual textured sector dials, a sandy textured,almost white silver in the centre, brushed outer sector, each has a distinct shade of silver. On that blue strap with the blue hand set. Lovely.

A hint more masculine the the Cartier tank imo
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's a specimen right there.
  • Has a hint of the prestigious Jaeger-LeCoultre reverso about it at 1/3 of the price
    PSN - minkymu
  • Im all for this.

Oris have launched the Aquis up cycle in both 36.5mm and 41.5mm varieties.

Uses a dial made of ocean bound plastics in conjunction with Tide. Also has packaging made from different ocean bound materials.

They did a similar ltd edition that had a disc of this material in the case back, but this time have gone all out and put it on the dial.

Now not only is this great for the oceans but because of how the dial is cut from the recycled composite sheet no 2 dials will ever be identical. Similar colours, but unique patterns for each watch.

01-733-7766-4150-Set-Oris-Aquis-Date-Upcycle.jpg
    Oris-Aquis-Date-Upcycle01-733-7770-4150-Set-and-01-733-7766-4150-Set.jpg

Both sizes come in at just over £2000.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Hmmm. Can't say I'm feeling that. Would have been a better gimmick to make a lower cost series where the entire case and strap were made from recyclables imo.
  • You can get that.

Alpina do a watch with strap and case made from recycled ocean plastic. The seastrong gyre.

8-EE09-DD0-5570-49-C2-8521-43923-DE7-FC0-C.jpg

There is also the Tom Ford 002. Which is made from the equivalent of 32 plastic pop bottles

0-B7771-D3-2293-4801-902-E-350-ADE8-C6-CA8.jpg

PSN - minkymu
  • The yellow and pink straps are daring
    PSN - minkymu
  • Yeah, that's a better use of the gimmick imo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!