A thread for watch love
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Turn between moon and Mercury here, am in Milton Keynes for work today so might detour via London on way home
    Mate i cant get to london if you can get me a moon / mercury or mars i will transfer the cash to you then n there
    PSN - minkymu
  • Or beforehand which ever is better
    PSN - minkymu
  • I think moons the one but i also think thats the one that will prove most popular
    PSN - minkymu
  • In an instagram post swatch have confirmed the watches will be available to purchase online "at a later date"

Thank fuck for that
    PSN - minkymu
  • https://youtu.be/jGQZWZP327c

The mission to mars version close up
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    In an instagram post swatch have confirmed the watches will be available to purchase online "at a later date"

Thank fuck for that

Got a link? Have some pals very annoyed they missed out, would like to raise their spirits.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    In an instagram post swatch have confirmed the watches will be available to purchase online "at a later date"

Thank fuck for that

Got a link? Have some pals very annoyed they missed out, would like to raise their spirits.

Yeah kinda. In the comments section of this post on the official Swatch Insta(not the swatch uk one, but the worldwide one) they repeat the statement several times to people frustrated by limited buying options.

1-E0-C619-B-5775-4461-ABD9-7-BAFCEC29-D7-B.png

3-F3-D4967-0-AB2-401-F-9815-97-B6-FAAF158-E.png
    PSN - minkymu
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I had to come straight back to Derby after work, sorry Minks. Kinda glad they'll be released wider. Both because this fucks over the scalpers, and means that those who want, and want to actually wear will be able to enjoy
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I had to come straight back to Derby after work, sorry Minks. Kinda glad they'll be released wider. Both because this fucks over the scalpers, and means that those who want, and wasn't to actually wear will be able to enjoy

Ok man i realised they aren't in store till the 26th lol

And yes this fucks the scalpers which is fine by me

PSN - minkymu
  • That'll do, cheers Mink.
  • Interesting for and against arguments for the Omega x Swatch . Gman called out the majority

https://youtu.be/gT-SxNxsfWc
    PSN - minkymu
  • So the initial ploy to only sell in Swatch boutiques seems to have paid off in Australia.

https://youtu.be/EekhQqb64YA

Over 2000 people waited in line for what turned out to be only 150 watches. They all sold out in less than 10 minutes. Some people had waited over night.. if you look at the people waiting a lot of them are in the 18-30 bracket with some younger. This might pay off for Omega in growing its overall sales base for the long term.

Tbf its easy to miss the comment about stock going online at a later date. So obvs mad lines are goinv to happen.

Be interesting to see how London stores look today
    PSN - minkymu
  • https://youtu.be/urdYM1YFeHg

The queue at Swatch Singapore is off the chain
    PSN - minkymu
  • 36-A1676-E-5-EDD-4-FCC-A3-BF-A4-A9061695-D3.jpg

No mention of going online eventually anymore which is obviously to build hype. I expect online availability has been pushed back by a month or two now.

Also unexpected demand? Lmfao righto. Weve made a watch that looks amazingly similar to one that costs £5k, is an official speedmaster, includes a red and white one that channels an ultra rare 1969 collectors fave, and then sells for £207 / $260
    PSN - minkymu
  • I wouldn't read too much into the crowd, lots of them could be people loking to make a buck by flipping them.

Still interesting to see where this goes, are Swatch looking to make money from the market that will happily spend hundreds on sneakers or are they trying to raise the profile of Omega.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Have contacted Swatch about the Jupiter version. Looks so nice.
  • Fuuuuuuuck me is that London?
    PSN - minkymu
  • Someone in the comments says Amsterdam.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Have contacted Swatch about the Jupiter version. Looks so nice.

How? Id love one asap.

No way in hell they will put this online yet. This hype train os too good not to hype even more.

And yeah they are going after the posh sneaker crowd. In that watchfinder vid discussion they say how rolex has 40% of the luxury watch market share, and Omega who are currently second in that sector have just 7%! Theres no way they are going to catch those numbers by selling £5k luxury watches to the same old customer base. They sell a few thousand watches a year at that price point. How about going for a younger market and selling a few hundred thousand watches a year at £250 ? You bring in double your current revenue and you make the brand cool
    PSN - minkymu
  • These kids dont care if it has a coaxial release, or it has a silicon hair spring. Its an Omega fam.

Its a huge risk. But one that has been universally welcomed by the watch community as a brave and daring move thats seen as refreshing
    PSN - minkymu
  • I'm thinking they release the Swatch regularly, but keep it rare. Maybe change the colours every so often. They might entice some people to just walk into a jewellers and drop the five grand on the real thing.
  • Yeah
    PSN - minkymu
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I_R wrote:

It's kind of depressing.
  • I can honestly say ive not seen the watch community in such a buzz about something in a positive way for a long time.
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @minkymu - I just messaged em on their website.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    @minkymu - I just messaged em on their website.

Did you get a response?
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Of course not lol. Will keep you posted though.
  • I_R wrote:
    Still interesting to see where this goes, are Swatch looking to make money from the market that will happily spend hundreds on sneakers or are they trying to raise the profile of Omega.
    I think it's a bit of both tbh, and they'll ultimately move in which ever direction the wind blows on this.
    I_R wrote:
    I'm thinking they release the Swatch regularly, but keep it rare. Maybe change the colours every so often. They might entice some people to just walk into a jewellers and drop the five grand on the real thing.
    That would be the smart move I think, but like I already said, I don't think the watch brands have the smarts and the hubris to double down on that strategy.
    To build the brand, it has to be affordable and rare, and they just don't have the balls to make it rare. By the summer, it will be on sale everywhere, everyone that wants one will buy it, and then the bubble will burst.
    Rarity that scalpers can flip for a healthy profit was probably the way to go if it's just an exercise in brand reconstruction, but greed will I suspect win out, and ultimately kill the idea. Even if they go big in the summer and then withdraw the thing, so many people will have it that it'll be a good few years before you would be able to bring it back and re-engage the hype crowd.

Where I think they've also fucked themselves is tying the colours to the planets and giving them silly names like Mission To Mars. Where do you go from there? You've now done all the planets in the first run. Doh!
    Smart move would have been to change up the range of colour options every year, but to do that you're now going to end up with the Mission to Some Random Planet Nobody Has heard Of.

So ultimately, lovely watches, great price, bold gambit, uncertain future, but for now anyway, everybody wins.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Mission to Uranus is the funniest one
    PSN - minkymu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!