A thread for watch love
  • b0r1s wrote:
    You mean like this lovely thing the missus got me for my 50th?

CE9-EDD98-CB76-488-E-BC67-906-F3-BA77-E45.jpg

Exactly that one. For the price, which is very reasonable given you can spend well over a grand and change on something that looks anywhere near as good.

Lovely well built reliable piece. Stunning dial work

Also those hands. Very Grand Seiko like. Your average Grand Seiko with those hands kicks off at 3k
    PSN - minkymu
  • Im actually envious
    PSN - minkymu
  • New 2022 Seiko divers! The Seiko Prospex Save the Ocean special editions. Light blue and 1 silver dial on the Willard variety. Lovely textured dial work again by Seiko, meant to emulate ice.

6-D6-D4602-BFB6-45-D2-BF90-9663-E0-D6-E589.jpg

2982-D0-EC-A045-424-E-92-BB-DBF6218-C23-D7.jpg
    My fave is this 62MAS recreation. Phwoar. $1250 whatever that is in pounds (prob £1250 ffs) available July. This ones going to fly out!

E75861-A5-1-B66-48-BC-B870-F4-FD73-DE6-D7-E.jpg

Not sure about this last one. The dial might be a bit too pale?
    AF655625-6-CD1-475-A-89-AD-1-F7-E48-D23-B54.jpg
    PSN - minkymu
  • Arise Sir Minky, for services to the Watchmaking industry
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • For those of you that like an investment. Seek out the 2021 model of the Tudor Pelagos FXD. Stamped with a MN 21 on the case back. Standing for Marine Nationale manufacrured 2021.

All current FXD's will now be stamped MN 22 as they were manufactured this year 2022. The 2021 model was only manufactured in small numbers due to when it was launched, quite late in the year. Hence making it very collectible as MN 22 models will be far more abundant.
    PSN - minkymu
  • The new Tissot PRX Chrono automatic range.

More than a hint of AP about the PRX range, case shape and the bracelet, however contrary to popular opinion AP were not the only 70's manufacturers using this style so its fair game.

9801-DD5-A-5-F64-4408-BA41-404-AE3-F723-F0.jpg about £1400 based on dollar price. Lots of colour options.

80 hr power reserve
    PSN - minkymu
  • What do you lot think of Nomos Glashuette watches?

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en

I’ve always quite fancied their TANGENTE NEOMATIK 39:

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/watchfinder-377?o=9#/en/tangente/tangente-neomatik-39-140

But some of their others are lovely too. Often winning European design awards like Red Dot etc.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • 7.2 mm high automatic is really something. Beautiful movement as well. I'd be terrified of dinging it off a wall though.
  • What do you lot think of Nomos Glashuette watches?

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en

I’ve always quite fancied their TANGENTE NEOMATIK 39:

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/watchfinder-377?o=9#/en/tangente/tangente-neomatik-39-140

But some of their others are lovely too. Often winning European design awards like Red Dot etc.

Nomos are great. Nice designs, great build quality. They are seen as very good for tge money. I like the orange faced club
    PSN - minkymu
  • Ok this is big news.

Omega speed master fans get your wallets ready. For 2 days only,24 and 25 March at select Swatch and Omega stores this bad boy is available..

3697-BF1-C-2-E44-4-D14-956-D-D9241-ECBED37.webp
    25800734-E74-C-4878-9-EFE-92-E495-EB6540.webp

The Swatch/Omega ltd edition collab. Made from Swatch bio ceremic this is gonna fly out. Why? Its £270

They will going for a bag on ebay less than a week later mark my words, especially the red and white one
    PSN - minkymu
  • That’s a brilliant idea, and the perfect price point. I’ll eat my hat if they don’t do more runs of these though.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Only available in London or Edinburgh apparently, so everyone else can get fucked.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Ended up link hopping again, discovered this wee chain of watchy loveliness.

1pacman.jpg
    This is a Pacman watch from Casio. It's hideous, but I kinda dig it.

2A100.jpg
    The Pacman watch is basically a Casio A100 with a nerdy paintjob.

3F100.jpg
    And the A100 is just a modern remake of the F100 from the 70s.

4prop.jpg
    Which is what they used to build the double-face watches for Alien.

5ripley.jpg
    This makes the Pacman watch the nerdiest watch of all time, and the branding is only the surface.

6marty.jpg
    Coincidentally, on the same link hopping trip, I found out the watch I have now is the same model that Marty wore in Back to the Future. Well, mine is red rather than black, but given that I grew up watching that trilogy on a loop, that was a nice surprise.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Those Moonswatches look great in the pictures apart from the strap, really nice idea. Bioceramic(?) case and a printed dial though, I'm not sure how nice it will feel after a year. It seems like it's almost double the price of a normal Swatch chrono.

The whole thing is a bit too aimed at the e-bay flippers for me, cool if they actually add them to their standard line.
  • Casio god tier
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Who Watches The Swatchmen?

Yup, so these are lovely...

T77I5lj.jpg

But they do raise questions. There's a big question mark over who benefits from these and how?

Now it's no secret that the big premium watch manufactures of the world have taken an absolute battering for the last few years, and are desperately scrabbling to reassert their positions in the market.
    Ain't nobody buying an Omega or a Rolex during the pandemic, so profits must be catastrophically down for the big boys.

Then you have Swatch. The biggest manufacturer of watch movements on the planet, oh, and they make plastic watches that you might have heard of too?

Trouble is, the times they are a changing, and we're rapidly transitioning into a new era where the youth of today just don't wear traditional watches anymore. No need for them. No interest in them. At best they'll maybe have a smart-watch, at worst, they're just using their phones.

This is a huge problem for the watch manufacturers of the world, and they are panicking.

Enter The MoonSwatch! Yours for only £207!
    Now this is a brilliant piece of marketing, and everybody wins!
    ...or do they?

So it's a Bioceramic Swatch that looks like the iconic Omega Speedmaster. Genius. An affordable version of one of the most famous timepieces on the planet. What's not to like? Everybody wins!

SqrKV4W.jpg

Now I've looked into these this morning, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but nothing I can see anywhere points to these being only available for a couple of days. The official Swatch website touts them as being available from selected stores from the 26th March. What they are doing is creating scarcity the way the Nikes of the world do by making them hard to get. So you can only buy them in selected stores worldwide, and you can only buy a maximum of two at a time. If however you are an influencer, we'll already have sent you one for you to plaster all over your Instagram.
    This is going to create a stampede among watchlovers and resellers to get the bloody things, and they will sell out, but are they reinvigorating the market for Swatch and Omega or are they just preaching to the converted? Will Johnny Teenager get on board the hype train, or will they just shrug, swipe right and move on?

Bioceramic is Swatch's new case material. It's a combination of bio-plastic sourced from the seeds of Castor plants (apparently), and ceramic beads. When combined, the resulting compound can then be injection moulded in Swatch's existing plants to create a silky smooth faux-ceramic case which Swatch is heavily invested in.
    They've been touting this stuff for the last year or so, and I'm guessing the world just couldn't care less.

7A4hwar.jpg

Enter The MoonSwatch! Everybody wins! Swatch get the free advertising for Bioceramic, Omega are back on the map, and the consumer gets a nice watch that looks like one they couldn't previously afford.
    Omega will also be hoping that these customers will stay with their brand, and invest in one of their more serious propositions as they get older. I think they are wrong on that, and it's drowning brand clutching at straws...maybe.

There's going to be a big commotion about getting these artificially scarce, but mass produced watches, and I'll be really surprised if there isn't a full global release in the summer. The smart brand would keep them limited, but I suspect the greed of the watch companies involved will dictate the opposite.

tZZgxN8.jpg

In the meantime, for some lucky watchlovers, there are funky new watches out there to collect (gotta catch 'em all!), and if Swatch and Omega play their cards right, they could make a lot of money out of this, but I do strongly suspect that it's not going to have the desired effect on the market that they are both hoping for. The youth of today just don't give a fuck about watches anymore, and this isn't going to change that.
  • Meanwile in the Breitling boardroom...3SYKb2k.gif
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Breitling have made their own bed

I used to lust for an emergency

But they're charging something like 7k for a smart watch last I saw, fucking idiots
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Building some subtle digital tech into a watch is the way forward for the big boys. Doesn't need to be overly smart - bluetooth with some basic info like current time (hold a button down to synch with the phone clock - though that requires energy to move the arms). Maybe a find my watch feature and a pedometer too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    . Maybe a pedometer too.

The kids will love that
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    heh.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Building some subtle digital tech into a watch is the way forward for the big boys. Doesn't need to be overly smart - bluetooth with some basic info like current time (hold a button down to synch with the phone clock - though that requires energy to move the arms). Maybe a find my watch feature and a pedometer too.

Ressence have integrated smart features pretty well, just have an app on the phone, and change time zone, update accuracy etc, in what is still quite clearly a mechanical watch

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.

A watch could also act as a token for multi factor authentication.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    True, it's that sort of unobtrusive, low power stuff that could be invisible and fed by either solar or the existing rotor on automatic models
  • Great post G.

I still really want at least 3 of them. Im actually considering hoing to london this weekend
    PSN - minkymu
  • I want the red and white mission to mars and the misson to the moon which is the black and grey one. Then its a tie for 3rd between neptune and mercury
    PSN - minkymu
  • Aye, they are lovely.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Turn between moon and Mercury here, am in Milton Keynes for work today so might detour via London on way home
  • I think it’s tomorrow (26th) that they are releasing them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!