The 3DS Thread
  • Really?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've been playing on Nintendo consoles since the Game Boy and I've never played a Pokemon game. I have no idea what it's even all about.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blast Corps is the best (2nd party) IP. 

OBVIOUSLY DURRRR
  • I've been playing on Nintendo consoles since the Game Boy and I've never played a Pokemon game. I have no idea what it's even all about.

same! I know a bit about it.. i know its an rpg where you're a trainer and go around training your pokemon to compete against others. Its a turn based stat battle. But I know nothing more than that. I'm not entirely sure i'd be taken in by it.. how long do you have to play for to go to something like the pokemon world championships? Is it not just a case of getting a good team and being lucky?

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Its pretty linear. You can build a team early but you need the exp of later trainers to have a team good enough to win.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    how long do you have to play for to go to something like the pokemon world championships?

Ocarina speed runs, Pokemon world championships. Why can't you just play something and enjoy it? ;) I'm willing to bet when you jump in a car your first thought isn't 'I wonder what time I could get in this around the Nurburgring?'.

Pokemon is essentially a JRPG, but instead of levelling up your character, you level up a team of monsters. You can find more monsters out in the world map. You then pick the right team to take on whoever it is you're trying to beat.

The plot for each game is pretty similar. Get given first pokemon by local professor -> go on quest to become best pokemon trainer -> discover plot to take over world using pokemon -> become best pokemon trainer and stop world domination.

I've played Red, Leaf Green, SoulSilver and White, but have only finished Red. Leaf Green and Soul Silver were crazy hard for some reason, I was always flat broke and getting repeatedly owned by the gym leaders (think: bosses). White hasn't been that bad, I have enough cash to buy a small country and generally beat the gyms on the first or second go. I think I'm getting near the end, I'm currently training up an ice type pokemon so I can beat the dragon gym.

When (if?) I beat White, I might try out White 2, or go back and get Platinum, that's the one that my friends who are super into pokemon say is one of the best versions. I'm really intrigued by Pokemon Conquest, too.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I played Pokemon Yellow, many years ago. T'was very good, I'm not sure I'll be bothered to play through another though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Adam. You are not wrong. Most games I start to play I play with a view to excelling in it. I think it's because I have the bug of competitive gaming. It was a staple part of my gaming exp growing up :) when I was at uni I did take my time on some games. SMS was one of the on the cube. Oot is amazing so far!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The way to excel at OoT is to just play it. Seriously, you'll have the most fun if you just explore the world. If you think there's a secret you can't get yet, make a note of it (the 3DS is great for this) and come back to it later. Try to get all the competitiveness out of your head. :)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'm trying. Just got my second stone. I really like the restart mechanic. I start at the beginning of a dungeon if I die but the paths unlocked Tay unlocked so whereas I have to navigate my way there to where I died I don't have to redo the explosions etc
  • Should be getting one of these bad boys in the next few days, I'll do the code shiz when I do. Excite!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Stolen from Edge.

Nintendo shifted over 100,000 3DS systems in Japan last week, a ratio of more than 13 to one compared to Vita's 7551 units.

Nintendo's handheld was given a not inconsiderable boost from the release of Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D, however, which sold over half a million copies during its debut week.

The 3DS' total sales were more than double the total of all other systems combined.

01. Nintendo 3DS: 101,075
    02. PlayStation 3: 14,799
    03. Sony PSP: 10,547
    04. PlayStation Vita: 7,551 LOL
    05. Nintendo Wii: 5,825
    06. Microsoft Xbox 360: 2,719
    07. PlayStation 2: 1,106
    08. DSi LL: 665
    09. DSi: 379

Source: Andriasang

Vita who?
  • Why is the PSP outselling the Vita?
  • I think any week a Dragon Quest game comes out in Japan should be treated as a statistical anomaly because they go fucking BATSHIT for those games.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Why is the PSP outselling the Vita?

It's still well-supported in Japan, and it's more affordable for the kids than the Vita.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Also psp has monster hunter and psvita does not
  • ^ that is why :)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    There are shortcuts in the Lost Woods but they're not all immediately accessible...

Not entirely relevant to the 3DS and may have been posted before, but I thought this was quite awesome...

Spoilers ahead... Though the game is now 13/14 years old...

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I think any week a Dragon Quest game comes out in Japan should be treated as a statistical anomaly because they go fucking BATSHIT for those games.

And rightly so.  They're fabulous games.
    Get schwifty.
  • bruv, i'm playing Oot atm.. *smile*

I watched the 7 hour speedrun on sda years ago, playing it for the first time now. I'm loving it. I want to watch that video so much though. haha.

I'm inside some fat fishes belly and just got a boomerang. Epic.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I think any week a Dragon Quest game comes out in Japan should be treated as a statistical anomaly because they go fucking BATSHIT for those games.

Good point, but those numbers are mental. It didn't just outsell everyone, it sold everyone combined twice over. It beat out it's nearest rival by a ration of almost 7:1. Even with DQ that's impressive.
    Also psp has monster hunter and psvita does not

This. Also, the Sony did it's typical 'everything and the kitchen sink' approach to hardware and made the Vita stupidly expensive.

mk64 wrote:
    bruv, i'm playing Oot atm.. *smile* I watched the 7 hour speedrun on sda years ago, playing it for the first time now. I'm loving it. I want to watch that video so much though. haha. I'm inside some fat fishes belly and just got a boomerang. Epic.

Watching mk play OoT for the first time is brilliant. Has made me go back to my Master Quest run. Still the best game ever made, and I don't care what anyone says. ;)
  • The world has changed.. sniff.. and it seems like its my fault.. If only i'd not gone for that stupid sword.
  • Awww.

Got mine now. Played the first world of Mario 3D Land and I've done the first two 50cc cups on Mario Kart. Drained the battery so it's charging at the mo. Got Zelda ready for later on, reckon I'll start that up in bed. Oh also had a quick look at the AR cards which are a bit of fun.

The console itself feels great; nice and sturdy, solid. 3D works perfectly for me, and I like the little hub for navigating around.

The games I've played, well I knew what to expect from them but they still have that wonderful Nintendo joy. I'd forgotten how much I like Mario Kart, as I haven't played one since the DS one first came out. Such a brilliant little racer.

Anyway, I'll sort my code out later and start adding folks too.
  • 2 things matty..

Please please please read up about playcoins (you get upto 10 a day for walking 1000 paces). You can spend them on the inbuilt software in various ways.

Namely I would suggest starting the street quest to collect hats for your mii. Its a simple RPG but its a cool thing to do with your coins. Not sure where you live but carry your 3ds in your bag when you're out etc to clock up coins and also so you can street pass!! Streetpassing is great for the RPG and also for collecting puzzle pieces. It can turn you a tad OCD but its playable in a pokemon type way.

Streetpass quest is my 4th most played game with 30 hours clocked up.. Thats saying something for software inbuilt.
  • I've only had my 3DS for a couple of weeks, so haven't played it that much yet. I've never played any Mario game beyond the first level before, but I'm really enjoying 3D land and Mario Kart too. I've also played a little Starfox and Rhythm Thief. I am unconvinced about the latter, but I've only played it for about half an hour.
  • Does it do the coin stuff automatically or do I need to turn it on somewhere?

Friend code - 2105-9743-5303

I've added everyone in the OP.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Re Zelda in bed - Zelda shoulder.

If lying on one side, turn over at regular intervals. I didn't and did something to my shoulder which took 10 months to heal, still hurts now and again.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Does it do the coin stuff automatically or do I need to turn it on somewhere?

Friend code - 2105-9743-5303

I've added everyone in the OP.

If you close the lid, while the machine is on, it goes into 'sleep' mode. It than becomes a pedometer (or you can just shake it rapidly) and you accumulate coins.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I never added my friend code - 1590-4867-7427.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Matty, somethings are automatic like the coin collecting (obviously the change the date trick works after 1000 paces if you want to collect quicker). Somethings need turning on (ninty...) like streetpass in general and then usually in game as well. You'll get a buzz the first time you SP with someone who has mazza and you check out their time and race against them. Never knowing how good they're gonna be!

Obviously you need the wifi on for SP but i never turn it off. If you haven't already found out then you can use the coins for additional AR stuff and also for swap note. Swap note is pretty cool when you become friends with people who send out cool shit :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!