Starfield
  • it would seem a bit daft to neuter the flagship game on the big console purely to keep fps parity with the little one.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Not trying to be a dick here,
    Naw, it's a fair point. 
    Syph79 wrote:
    but can anyone give an example of a MS game that has the ability to run on 60 on the X, but only 30 on the S.

Not a huge sample so far, unfortunately, as they've not put out that many games in the past 24 months. But, while not a 60/30 difference, they did launch the Halo Infinite campaign with a 120 mode that was only available on X. S could do 30 and a kinda stable 60. 
    Syph79 wrote:
    I genuinely believe they've got an internal rule that prevents this.

I really don't think they do. They certainly, 100% don't for 3rd parties - they require feature / content parity (hence the Baldur's Gate 3 snaffu recently) but specs and performance are allowed to vary. See Jedi Survivor recently which is 30 on S and 60 on X.
  • I would put money on FPS parity being a target but not a hard requirement even for 1st parties.
  • I'm excited. It's going to be at least solid. There's definite hints of No Mans Sky and I hope there's not too much resource gathering but otherwise it certainly looks like an interesting world.. the space flying bit seemed more mass effect than say Elite but I'm really hyped for this.. looking forward to this and Forza this autumn. Series X should be well used again.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Not trying to be a dick here,
    Naw, it's a fair point. 
    Syph79 wrote:
    but can anyone give an example of a MS game that has the ability to run on 60 on the X, but only 30 on the S.
    Not a huge sample so far, unfortunately, as they've not put out that many games in the past 24 months. But, while not a 60/30 difference, they did launch the Halo Infinite campaign with a 120 mode that was only available on X. S could do 30 and a kinda stable 60. 
    Syph79 wrote:
    I genuinely believe they've got an internal rule that prevents this.
    I really don't think they do. They certainly, 100% don't for 3rd parties - they require feature / content parity (hence the Baldur's Gate 3 snaffu recently) but specs and performance are allowed to vary. See Jedi Survivor recently which is 30 on S and 60 on X.

Fair enough and, like you say, the sample size is too small at this point to say for certain. I was aware of the Baldur's Gate issue, so there's definitely a rule around features, but perhaps less so around FPS. One point to note is that the 120fps mode for Halo was also dropped on Series S in time, so it seems like they are trying to keep them in sync as much as possible, rule or not.

Thanks for seeing I'm not trying to be a dick on this. The Series S/X strategy is genuinely an interesting one, but it remains to be seen what it means for the platform in the longer-term. I hope it works for them.
  • Here is a breakdown of the 'editions'.

Preorder content comes with GP.

Seems there is day one story DLC locked off to the Premium Edition.
    If you really want that story DLC and the other gubbins (skin pack and digital soundtrack/artbook) there is a GP upgrade. This deal seems to be cheapest so far but still £18.
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/starfield-premium-edition-upgrade-ps1693-with-game-pass-discount-at-microsoft-iceland-4149225

edit: The Premium edition also gets you 5 days early access.
  • Anyone going physical give that link a read properly.
    Seems the Premium Edition is a mere upgrade for physical while digitally it can be bought as an upgrade or with the full game.
    The watch edition comes with a digital code not a physical game despite being listed as Physical(?)

Clear as mud
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Here is a breakdown of the 'editions'.

Preorder content comes with GP.

Seems there is day one story DLC locked off to the Premium Edition.
    If you really want that story DLC and the other gubbins (skin pack and digital soundtrack/artbook) there is a GP upgrade. This deal seems to be cheapest so far but still £18.
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/starfield-premium-edition-upgrade-ps1693-with-game-pass-discount-at-microsoft-iceland-4149225

edit: The Premium edition also gets you 5 days early access.

Oof. The cunts
  • I'd be tempted by that for £18.. Five days early access I guess give you a chance of getting ahead of the spoilers...
    The Forum Herald™
  • You'd also be five days ahead of the day one patch though...
  • Lol
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm intrigued to see how the feature match rule extends between future console versions. Cos if X and X2 have to match, and S and X have to match, then S and X2 need to match. And hence S and X3 in due course. Surely that breaks at some point??
  • I would imagine they would do a S2 along with a X2 with a similar 12-24 month transition before with reduced rules for the older consoles.
    Although really I think MS will hope to have a cloud system available by then that could make the S2 idea redundant, instead having a local and cloud offering rather than high and low power options. Might be that we never have to replace our S consoles.
  • Yeah I reckon that's the way it'll go. The cloud functionality is surprisingly good on Xbox One consoles already. Not enough to satisfactorily play most games imo, but that does depend on internet speeds. A guy I used to work with swears by the cloud stuff and plays proper games like HiFi Rush on it (whereas I'd only really use it for things like Immortality or Norco myself, but my internet speeds are on the lower end of middling). In a few years I expect the kinks will be ironed out.
  • You can get the Premiuim upgrade for £17 via the Iceland store with no VPN

Edit: Ooops, Didn’t see LivDivs post
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yeah, Xbox absolutely looking beyond consoles. Expect they’ll stay in the hardware game, but they’re clearly pitching them as services delivery devices for the future.
  • Davie up there, searching for a cloud among all this silver lining

Cloud gaming or you just being a dick to me for bringing this to the attention of folks here?

Question for other folks, will this be pc gamepass?
    How easy/difficult is it to set up on a laptop.
    Wife says I'm allowed it.
  • Yeah, Xbox absolutely looking beyond consoles. Expect they’ll stay in the hardware game, but they’re clearly pitching them as services delivery devices for the future.

Genuinely thought we were getting a dongle reveal but nah it was the emo S.

You can already get cloud gaming on recent Samsung TVs. Just download the Xbox app, pair a controller with the TV, and away you go. No console required.

Both our tellies are one model year too old. Typical.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    digi wrote:
    Davie up there, searching for a cloud among all this silver lining

Cloud gaming or you just being a dick to me for bringing this to the attention of folks here?

Not being a dick at all, I'm just pointing out that your only post in this entire thread just so happened to be something negative. You did also post this earlier on, but it was apparently posted in the wrong thread:
    digi wrote:
    For all the shit that games get for being broken I'm surprised that this gets such a free pass and not just from here but critics etc too.

Bethesda, more like borkedesa

You were on about Skyrim apparently. Lost and confused. It's not like you were even wanting to discuss the merits of 60 over 30fps or anything either, no comment or opinion from yourself, just copy paste the article in an effort to burst the balloon of anyone looking forward to the game. You know you've got history for it, this isn't new, nobody is surprised.

You're always making out you're just the forum herald for gaming news too. Hear ye, hear ye! Weird that you never break any negative stories about Sony, innit? With your finger on the gaming news pulse and everything. Why is that?
  • I thought half of America was going to be on shite internet connections for the foreseeable due to their monopolistic telecoms market.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You don't need a good connection for 30fps tbf
  • Just had a quick google and this came up.
    https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/state-of-the-internet#:~:text=Fastest%20and%20slowest%20internet%20speeds,experiencing%20faster%20or%20slower%20speeds. 

Its not definitve but the mean internet speed in the slowest state is 60Mbps which doesnt seem too bad unless im getting my bits and bytes confused.

There will definitely be people with potato internet such is the vastness of 'merica. they can buy a X2 for their trailer.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    They can just shoot the Internet til it goes faster tbf
  • Trump'll fix it for them.
  • All I know is I've got some decade old reckons from the launch of the Xbox One and I've got to use them somewhere.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m in for this but will probably go for PC and tweak settings to get a reliable 60. It really is difficult to go back.
  • For me it’ll depend on how often the combat is as fast paced as I saw in the demo …. Presumably they’ll be some twist on the bullet time or dragon word thing that’ll require a cool down.

If it really is a straight forward FPS I can see the 60fps been DESIRABLE
    The Forum Herald™
  • My PC is scraping the minimum specs for this so I'll take whatever FPS I can manage.
  • G3qo-Q5d-d.webp
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!