Starfield
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Surely in this one, shooting for the moon is demonstrably true.

Perhaps, but he was talking historically. Bethesda might have some good peeps, but their management are absolute hacks and their games are the RPG equivalent of what EA do with FIFA.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah. I know what you're getting at with the engine and that but there's a shit load of writing and level design going into them that you're ignoring there
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Perhaps, but he was talking historically. Bethesda might have some good peeps, but their management are absolute hacks and their games are the RPG equivalent of what EA do with FIFA.

I was just punning on moons and stars.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I was just punning on moons and stars.

I know. I chuckled.

Trust me though - reviews will be good (they always are) but history will not be kind. Arkane, Tango and ID were the jewels in that purchase, not Bethesda.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    For you, perhaps. For others it’s Bethesda.
    Get schwifty.
  • And it's the only one you've seen? Mad, that
    The other one said it was too
    Big but I didn’t want to piss on your chips Paul
    The Forum Herald™
  • Hey Bob!, have you heard what Todd has said? - we can't fly directly down to a planet's surface through its atmosphere, it'll just be a cutscene landing instead :-(
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It begins…
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I was more interested in the article pointing out all
    The par the course Bethesda bugs and the AI characters being aware of them
    The Forum Herald™
  • The AI characters are aware of the bugs? This really is some next-gen shit!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Cohh is a don

Don't know him, but appreciate his lack of thumbnail face.
  • Raiziel wrote:

Yeah, thought of you when the reveal happened. Was it what you wanted?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ship stuff sounds promising.
    Spoiler:

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. It’s a first person RPG with a main quest and factions and side quests and I’m going to be able to just wander off the beaten path and do my own thing. It’s a Bethesda game all right. But that’s what I love. I appreciate that their games aren’t for everyone, but then what game is? I can’t wait to play it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Yeah, pretty much. It’s a first person RPG with a main quest and factions and side quests and I’m going to be able to just wander off the beaten path and do my own thing. It’s a Bethesda game all right. But that’s what I love. I appreciate that their games aren’t for everyone, but then what game is? I can’t wait to play it.

Yeah, seems like it would be right up your alley.

I'll, despite reservations, also be keeping an eye on it - I do like the fact that character backgrounds and actual player skill customisation seem to be a bigger thing again, but will hold judgement until I can see it in more detail. 

I'm also pretty sure it'll review well and sell a bajillion copies. I just don't like Howard and Hines.
  • The thing that strikes me as odd about Starfield, upon reflection, is where are the alien races? I know this isn't Mass Effect, but Starfield's galaxy did look remarkably human-centric. If it's set in an age before mankind discovers intelligent life then so be it, but the NPC's did look awfully bland compared to those in ME.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They’ve been very vague about the possibility of intelligent alien races, so I’m assuming that it’s set before first contact.
  • Scenes when the game ends with it all being a dream, right before you "make contact".
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    The thing that strikes me as odd about Starfield, upon reflection, is where are the alien races? I know this isn't Mass Effect, but Starfield's galaxy did look remarkably human-centric. If it's set in an age before mankind discovers intelligent life then so be it, but the NPC's did look awfully bland compared to those in ME.

100% realism.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's an alien DNA option for one of your traits. Be surprised if your mother fucked one if those crab things but I'd put nowt past her.

I'm most excited about the ability to dock with other ships. Hopefully that means you can neutralize them then board for a bit of close quarters combat before salvaging what you can from their ship
  • 1000 planets! Four main cities!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That get you excited, Bob?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If there's a Steps Planet he's gonna wank himself raw
  • Bob wrote:
    1000 planets! Four main cities!

That's quite the juxtaposition, Bob.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    At the very least it’s ripe for DLC. No need to create new areas, just build new content on barren planets.
    Get schwifty.
  • That's quite the ' this glass of blue milk is half full' way of looking at things, Raz.

Tbh I take more issue with Todd's statement concerning 'the players' not being bothered by not being able to manually land on planets, so it never became a priority for the Dev team.

Preposterous! Of course being able to pilot a spaceship's descent from space, through the planetary atmosphere, and pull off a successful landing on the surface below was a priority for any player expecting 'Skyrim in Space!'.

If he just said, 'do you know what, our game engine can't hack planetary landings, that's why we render it as a cutscene', I would have had more respect for him. (but of course, I know he was never going to say that).

Just don't blame the absence of that feature on 'it's not what the players would have wanted'.
  • I fully suspect the 'press X to land' feature which triggers a cutscene descent will actually mean that the player will land on one of several predesignated 'zones', that are procedurally generated.

These zones will be large and explorable, but finite in area. And once you've tagged the half-a-dozen or so species of flora / fauna, your done.

So you won't actually be able to land anywhere on one of these 1000 planets and travel all the way across it.

At least, that's how I translate this latest burst of 'Todd speak'.
  • That get you excited, Bob?
    No Paul . It’s just another news story - thanks for engaging with my, I hesitate to call it content, post.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Reckon I'll dip my toe in. Skyrim in space sounds like my kind of jam.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Mine to too be fair - although I wish they’d not bother with the shitty stuff they’re not very good at and concentrate on the rpg stuff - all the base building and mech building in fallout 4 sucked
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!