Your Celebrity Encounters
  • We used to get the occasional TV or movie star at our burlesque club. We’d get emails or calls from their agents beforehand asking if they could have places on the guest list. The more famous ones usually asked to be let in the stage door so as not to get caught up in the crowds/queues.

Sam Heughan from Outlander was a Good Bloke and partied with us after closing (he also hired me to DJ the wrap party after the next season filmed). Chris Pine was nice enough for us to invite him backstage for a drink. Channing Tatum was lovely to everybody and his girlfriend was supermodel hot. They went to the effort of dressing up for the theme of the night, too. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were knobheads. They demanded a private box and insisted that we close off the entire upper level so they could have their own toilets - which meant we had to reduce our audience numbers for the night. Billy Corgan asked for a ten-person guest list then never showed up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am in Neil Marshall's Doomsday. I think I posted on the old room about my experience of it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    We used to get the occasional TV or movie star at our burlesque club. We’d get emails or calls from their agents beforehand asking if they could have places on the guest list. The more famous ones usually asked to be let in the stage door so as not to get caught up in the crowds/queues.

Sam Heughan from Outlander was a Good Bloke and partied with us after closing (he also hired me to DJ the wrap party after the next season filmed). Chris Pine was nice enough for us to invite him backstage for a drink. Changing Tatum was lovely to everybody and his girlfriend was supermodel hot. They went to the effort of dressing up for the theme of the night, too. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were knobheads. They demanded a private box and insisted that we close off the entire upper level so they could have their own toilets - which meant we had to reduce our audience numbers for the night. Billy Corgan asked for a ten-person guest list then never showed up.

You were Club Noire, right?

Always had a good time when we went.
  • poprock wrote:
    We used to get the occasional TV or movie star at our burlesque club. We’d get emails or calls from their agents beforehand asking if they could have places on the guest list. The more famous ones usually asked to be let in the stage door so as not to get caught up in the crowds/queues.
    I had a friend who moved to L.A. and spent his time blagging his way in everywhere by abusing the power of his Scottish accent and phoning places up, telling them he was Sean Connery's assistant, and could they put Mr Connery's party on the guest list?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • This guy I know, I can't say his name, let's call him Hozno, owns runs and is the top grossing model for bellyinflatercams.net
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • *Googles "Hozno belly"*
  • regmcfly wrote:
    You were Club Noire, right?

Always had a good time when we went.

High five, my good man.
  • g.man wrote:
    I had a friend who moved to L.A. and spent his time blagging his way in everywhere by abusing the power of his Scottish accent and phoning places up, telling them he was Sean Connery's assistant, and could they put Mr Connery's party on the guest list?

Amazing.

Also, it is *so easy* to blag into things in the States with a British accent. It’s like playing nightlife on easy mode.
  • poprock wrote:
    *Googles "Hozno belly"*

I regret doing that.
  • They always say that at first, then 8 weeks later I get spammed in my PMs "Please hoznO I'll pay for a custom job I need MOAR"
  • Wait, shit. I mean, that was me quoting my friend. HoznO
  • Non Fappable Token
  • It’s an ownable position, I’ll give it that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is the belly shaved?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    RasDam wrote:
    Floyd Mayweather came through one evening and gave every member of staff a £100 tip.

He's pretty well-known for it. It's a bit sad he's no real friends, 'cause he might end up losing to some joker in future if he keeps on spending to impress.

MattyJ wrote:
    My dad saw The Who back in the 60s, I think at Bristol Ice Rink. He said that was the loudest he's ever seen, proper shaking the lights type stuff

My dad reckons Slade were the loudest he heard, and the Beatles were quiet and shite.

Isn't it Matt whos the forum extra for TV and stuff or was it someone else?

He was in The Shield, but I can't remember who it was. Right on the edge of me memory, 'tis.
  • Do I count? I've been on numerous Irish channels for news spots over the years relating to restaurant issues, done a few tv spots as well for daytime Irish telly and some radio spots too (including a BBC interview around Patricks day about 10 or more years back. I've even been on a Fox affiliate in the states when i went over the Milwaukee Irish Fest. Weirdest place my mug has ended up is a French TV magazine (had to contribute recipes and an interview)

Back to proper Celebrities, I've always been impressed with the person who can command a room and comes across as much bigger than they actually are. A few politicians fall into this and it makes you appreciate how the TV doesnt really capture how good these people are at working a room (Joan Burton was an Irish Politician with a voice like nails on a chalkboard and a dull personality and she was leader of the Labour party for a bit - could never suss out why until I meet her at an event. So much more impressive and commanding in person) 

The best example of this from a celeb that I encountered was Eric Cantona. I was working in a place where he was doing a team building session with an u18s team (I cant remember for sure but I think it was the Portuguese team so its possible a young Ronaldo was at that event). After Lunch, Cantona came in to say thanks to the Chefs - all of us pretty mad keen football fans with the typical United and Liverpool fans being prominent. He shook everyones hand and thanked us but what was amazing was he seemed HUGE. One of the Chefs who worked with us (a young United die hard) was a legit 6 foot 5 and we talked about afterwards how it seemed odd that Cantona (6'2") seemed bigger than Big Ian when he shook his hadn.

I've met quite a few celebs through work and all that (loads of celebs chefs in particular) but some of the favourites:

Naomi Campbell - There was a period when she was hanging out with Gabriel Byrne in Dublin and I was a bus boy in a restaurant they visited. This would be about 1996 or so - the woman was stunningly beautiful in person.

Bobby Robson - Similar to Cantona, I was in the Kitchen for an event where Robson was the Assistant Manager to Steve Staunton in the Irish Set-up. As a long time Newcastle fan, I had to shake his hand, much to the annoyance of management but it was a one-off gig so I didnt care. Legend

Jackie Chan  - Not so much a meeting but he ate at a place where I was a young commis chef and said the soup (made by me) was the best thing he had tasted in ages and ordered seconds. I was delighted, although to be honest it wasnt that great a soup. Wait staff said he was lovely but his PR rep was a bitch.

Paul Hollywood - Did a spot for his Hollywood Bakes thing - a very nice guy but massively stand offish. The crew said that was just the way he was. Cant say he was unfriendly but it was very much lights on for the camera, quiet when off. He did record a wedding greeting for a mate (who was a fan) so thumbs up for that.

Charlotte Hatherly - got a very nice birthday kiss on the cheek from Miss Hatherley after seeing her at a gig in Dublin with Ash. I was quite taken with her and when we were in the bar afterwards, a mate of mine spotted her and as it was my 21st, she asked Charlotte if she would give me a birthday kiss (theres a thing in Ireland where you get 21 kisses on your birthday - not sure if thats elsewhere) I could barely muster an audible thank you but she was a good sport for doing it and my goodness, my type of beautiful. 

Jeff Jarrett - Met him in Grafton Street after a WWA event the night before in Dublin. Myself and my mate were the usual over bearing fan boys but fair play to Jeff, he talked with us for 10 minutes, asked us what we thought of the show etc. Seems a lovely guy which is a story I've heard from other people who have met him. Not a big man for a wrestler.
    SFV - reddave360
  • poprock wrote:

Sam Heughan from Outlander was a Good Bloke and partied with us after closing (he also hired me to DJ the wrap party after the next season filmed). Chris Pine was nice enough for us to invite him backstage for a drink. Channing Tatum was lovely to everybody and his girlfriend was supermodel hot. They went to the effort of dressing up for the theme of the night, too. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were knobheads. They demanded a private box and insisted that we close off the entire upper level so they could have their own toilets - which meant we had to reduce our audience numbers for the night. Billy Corgan asked for a ten-person guest list then never showed up.

For so many of your posts, but this one is a cracker:
    4tahani.jpg
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Escape wrote:
    Was it @Skade?

I was in the shield. Briefly.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I'm jealous of Ras.

Yeah this was pretty good.
  • Pop what were Ash like live?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Pop what were Ash like live?

I can answer this on Pops behalf.

Ash are fucking solid live, Tim is a charming elequent frontman, Mark is possibly the coolest bassist ever. Rick is Rick.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Oh and no I wasn't in the shield.

I did share a kiss with Miss Laverne though.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    JMW was my second guess, but let's call it my first.

I've met Terry Nutkins and Gary Glitter. You don't get much out this way. My sister had a chat with Bill Oddie at some horse and nature thing; saw Clunes at a horse event.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I’ve seen Ash a load of times and they are amazing!!

Come to think about it, I met Tim at the end of a gig once - lovely chap!
  • I puked on Bez's feet backstage at a Charlatans gig. He was wearing suede shoes.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Pop what were Ash like live?

I think Skade nailed it with ‘solid’.

They’re one of those bands I always thought of as reliable. You know what you’re going to get. An hour of well crafted pop-punk with catchy choruses, from an enthusiastic bunch of lads. They clearly love being in a band and it shows through.

They’ve never really changed much. First time I saw them was not long after the Trailer EP came out, last time was probably only four or five years ago. That’s, what, 25/27 years? They got more relaxed on stage, but the energy’s stayed the same. They went through that phase of being a bit grungier and having Charlotte with them, then reverted back. They still play one or two older songs every gig, they’re not up themselves, 9/10 would still go see again.

They sit in the same box as Therapy for me - always a good night out, never change much, can rely on them to play the hits even if they have a new record to promote.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    In the street in Edinburgh: Ewen Bremner (repeatedly), Kelly Macdonald? (well, somone who looked very like her smiled at me as we passed on the Meadows this one time), J. K. Rowling (nearly ran us down with a pushchair outside the Cameo Cinema as we emerged from a bargain Wednesday afternoon matinee in the early 2000s; not sure which film).

At literary events: Mark Beaumont, Douglas Coupland, Neil Gaiman, Dave Gorman, Peter F. Hamilton, Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone, Kelly Link, George Monbiot, Jeff Noon, Chris Riddell, Charles Stross, Shaun Tan.

At film/TV events: Darren Aronofsky, Claudia Christian, Mark Cousins, Simon Helberg, Hybrid (the band, who had composed the soundtrack for a film that I asked a question about during a Q&A and happened to be in the audience so they then had a chat with me at the end of the event), Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo, Seamus McGarvey, Nick Park.

As an extra on the film 'Festival': Lyndsey Marshall, Daniela Nardini, Clive Russell (I waited outside Daniela's trailer for her to sign my 'This Life' DVD cover, while I ended up sat next to the other two in a certain scene involving grass...).

Politics: I was in hospital for a while when I was young and the government at the time was trying to shut down NHS services (nothing new there then) including the childrens' ward that I had been in  My dad took me to a protest at 10 Downing Street so I was briefly in the presence of Margaret Thatcher. Luckily, I don't remember much. A few years ago I was at the Edinburgh Council Election count and at one point was returning to the counting hall and upon opening the door was confronted by a huge throng of media - I got myself out of the way just in time before Ruth Davidson emerged through the same door to congratulate her new councillors. More positively, I currently know quite a few of the Scottish Green Party councillors and MSPs, and even the current Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament...

Oh, I also met Robert Llewellyn at a sustainability event at which I was one of several people pedalling bikes set up on turbo trainers to generate power for a film screening.

And another. One time when I was browsing magazines in WHSmith in Preston in the mid 90s I realised that the diminutive form of Kenny Baker had appeared next to me.
  • A number of BBC Commentators as we happened to be on the same flight as them going to the Athletics World Championships in 2005 - Sue Barker, Colin Jackson, Steve Backley, Sally Gunnell, Denise Lewis and John Inverdale. He fell asleep and snored loudly for most of the flight to Helsinki. Met Denise again outside the stadium and had a chat with her and she was absolutely lovely.

Saw one hit wonders The Primitives play at The Joiners in Southampton. Stayed on afterwards and chatted with the band. Had a huge crush on Tracy Tracy at the time and she was really friendly as were the rest of the band. Paul Court gave me a promo copy of their upcoming single.

Met Catherine Zeta Jones at a friend’s wedding. She was lovely, quite funny I think - it was a long time ago.

My wife has met numerous people in the archaeology world and had numerous meetings and dinners with the Time Team crew. 

She also gave a tour of the gallery she curated and later had dinner with Alice Roberts and David Attenborough. She also gave a tour of the gallery to Prince Edward and Sophie Wessex.

I also had a quick chat with Saints player James Beattie in Asda.

Finally, we were on holiday in Malta in 2016 and our break coincided with the Malta film festival. Had a long chat over lunch with Sir Alan Parker who happened to be staying at the same hotel in Valletta. He was there for a special screening and Q&A of Midnight Express, which was largely filmed in Malta. Very kind and friendly gentleman.

A few times have been dining in the same restaurant as some celebs, but have not interacted.

Holly Johnson somewhere in London, can’t remember where.
    Tara Palmer Tomkinson at The Wolseley.
    Alan Ball at a restaurant in the New Forest. He was really annoying as he was very loud and kept referring to himself in the third person - ‘oh yes, Mr Ball liked that’.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!