The Matrix - There will be spoilers inside
  • Not going to apologise for absolutely loving all 3 films.
    The first came out when we were studying post-modern design theory at university, so we all got 'The desert of the real' reference.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I really wish I could share everyone's optimism for the new Matrix film but the more I see of those trailers, with some rather hapless looking actors being stand-ins for Morpheus and and Agent Smith...I mean are they serious about trying to replace Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving with these absolute no marks?!

I mean fuck it wouldn't be so bad if they invented an entirely new antagonist and mentor figure, but taking the same characters and recasting them?... it looks so baaaaad.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It’s not really meant to be ‘them’ though, is it? Morpheus died and so did smith.

Well… as well as some others I guess but we’ll see how they explain that. My understanding was these were new characters.
  • The last trailer I saw depicted the new Smith doing that thing with his fleshy mouth to freak Neo out...
    and bald black guy prancing around in a dojo again. Those appear to be the same characters again...but different iterations in the new matrix multiverse thing. They obviously couldn't get Weaving or Fishburn on board and so they've gone for this 'it's still them, but don't they look different now?!' thang. Looks pants.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Shhh
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m not really on board with Blocks usual ‘everything is shit’ mantra (sorry Blocks) but I am at least worried about the Weaving knock-off. He looks shit, quite honestly.
    Get schwifty.
  • Fishbourne was pissed not to be asked, apparently.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Fishbourne was pissed not to be asked, apparently.

Quite right too. I’m sorry, but I doubt whoever they got to replace him will fill his shoes.
    Get schwifty.
  • I imagine his speech in Boyz N the hood angered some.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    The last trailer I saw depicted the new Smith doing that thing with his fleshy mouth to freak Neo out...
    and bald black guy prancing around in a dojo again. Those appear to be the same characters again...but different iterations in the new matrix multiverse thing. They obviously couldn't get Weaving or Fishburn on board and so they've gone for this 'it's still them, but don't they look different now?!' thang. Looks pants.

Tbf its a simulation, a computer program and within that program there are certain necessary components tgat need to be there. They dont need to look the same they just need to perform the same function to ensure the program works.

They also did the same thing with the Oracle in the original trilogy.

PSN - minkymu
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The original Oracle seemed like a lovely woman, I'd eat her cookies all day long even though she stinks of tabs
  • I guess they pressumed Fishburne to old for the part? Would've still been cool to see him return. On the other hand the director is doing the project without her sister (brother?) so who knows what's going on behind the scenes?

Hope the script is up to snuff, could go either way.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I know which way it's going to go
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    sister (brother?)

Sister.
  • Sorry, Wachowski bros are now the Wachowski sisters ofc. Point is, why is the other sibling not partaking in the project?
  • Perhaps they both wanted to be the Woman in the Red Dress?
  • hunk wrote:
    I guess they pressumed Fishburne to old for the part? Would've still been cool to see him return. On the other hand the director is doing the project without her sister (brother?) so who knows what's going on behind the scenes?

Hope the script is up to snuff, could go either way.

No its only Lana. The other sister not involved. Shes using this as a way of dealing with grief following a parents death

PSN - minkymu
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Jurassic park bad?! Although, yeah I was like 7 when that came out so maybe it’s an age thing. I went to see that 3 times. Still watch it these days, along with lost world which I also really like. I wouldn’t watch with my 7 yo yet though weirdly.

Jurassic Park is a barnstormer of a film.

Jurassic Park is not a bad film. It is a perfect film. What is this.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    What is this.

image-50b4758d5f39b85e64ed8ce836830667_v_1411486207.jpg
  • Ah good, I was worried the Wachowski sisters had a fallout.
    Also, I like JP but than again I'm easily entertained.

• A friend over in Japan went to see the new movie already. His review: “Oh god it was not good”.
  • poprock wrote:
    A friend over in Japan went to see the new movie already. His review: “Oh god it was not good”.

How trust worthy is the friend? I though the world wide release date was 22nd December? Do they live in a future matrix???

I dont have high hopes or anything.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Thing is, everybody shat all over films 2 and 3 but I love them so I'll probably still find something in this to enjoy.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Even if the new film isn’t very good, we’ll still have that amazing reveal trailer. Absolute nostalgia filled excitement.

Edit: Looking online and there are lots of ‘first reactions’.

Extremely divisive seems to be the common sentiment. I had heard this from an interview recently but it’s supposedly very weird, very goofy/funny and very very ‘meta’ or self referential.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if it was meta - that Matrix Awakens thing was full of it.
  • Meta is just another word for shit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Meta is just another word for shit.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's a very meta perspective
  • I watched Animatrix and Matrix 1 last night.

The animatrix still holds up. I don’t think there’s a duffer in there (I think it helps that they are so dense and short).

Of them, of course, second renaissance is the top tier one but it’s so funny how in canon the robots are just as capable of pure propaganda. All the robots are drawn so cute and sympathetically and the men evil. It’s pretty cool.

I also liked matriculated that one is horror.

Yeah really overall really cool.

Onto the first film then and I’m struck with a few things again.
    1) the suit Thomas Anderson wears for his job is surprisingly nice and has the same yellow lining as the agents.
    2) the kind of awful way the robots treat their sentient programs - agent smith is trapped in the matrix and fully aware of it. I’d never quite grasped how independent the programs in the matrix were from the machine system but here it is. I think it’s cool how they continue his trajectory.
    3) the amount of jokes in the film is so good. You have your denouement chance sequence and you have watermelons popping and Smith popping up from a bag of groceries. The timing for the sprinkler is perfect but what you don’t realise is the whole purpose of that is to set up sexy water shots. In fact the only thing the bomb does is allow for the set up of sexy water shots.
    4) the “meta” stuff that is in the matrix awakens starts from the end of this one where neo looks at the audience.
    5) I love cypher all the way through this. He’s clearly a knob from second 1. There’s a scene where neo spooks up on him and he instinctively turns off his computer screens. So good.
    6) I think this is a 15 film but it’s so nice to see a principle action film happy to show fighting rather than cut away at moments of impact. The marvel films are so shit for this. It’s a shame they’ve basically filled the void for action films now (that don’t involve American meat cars)
    7) the whole of the oracle stuff is so good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!