Most disappointing game of 2021
  • Actually I'll change my vote to Mario Golf too. I managed to get a lot out of it but it was still a bitter disappointment.

The Gunk is a worse game but I hadn't been looking forward to it for five years.
  • I felt the same about Wario Ware I think.

There’s obviously good microgames but they are ridiculously simple and the lack of toys is a real big shame.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah Mario Golf is also up there for me.
  • Absolutely and most definitely Deathloop.
  • Mario Golf Switch 2 will be amazing is my bet. They just split a five year dev cycle in two and sell the beta now at half way.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Flight Sim is a good shout and my experience was the same as Wookie’s - albeit it was my house not his.

I’d probably include FH5 in the same bracket

It's Flight Sim for me, because all along I thought we were getting Earth-tier streetviews, instead of building assets from Thomas the Tank Engine.

FH5 deserves to be called out for its grindtacular nature, after I spent longer glitching than it takes to fully unlock an early Turismo. And of course that was unintentionally rapid, so it got patched within a week.

And I think its map has too many boring regions, so your favourite roads are quickly overused. I pretty much avoid the South, and the motorway just feels out of place.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The endgame of the Forza Horizon games is car collecting. If that’s not your thing, fair enough, but suggesting that it needs calling out seems weird.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Gran Turismo 2 has more cars and it takes a lot less time to collect them, with no special requirements.

Horizon 5's massively stingy because we live in a post-FUT world.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Really? Pretty much all I ever hear about the Horizon games re: car collections is that they’ll quickly chuck far more cars at you then you’ll know what to do with. This has been the standard response to any newbie in the Forza Horizon thread who’s asking about building a garage for years.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep my thing with Forza is after a few races it throws a shit ton of stuff at you. The map looks like the busiest Ubisoft open world game. Possibly too much.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Really? Pretty much all I ever hear about the Horizon games re: car collections is that they’ll quickly chuck far more cars at you then you’ll know what to do with. This has been the standard response to any newbie in the Forza Horizon thread who’s asking about building a garage for years.

A lot of its cars are incredibly similar to drive, with far more attention paid to their sounds than physics. That alone often creates a feeling of difference that isn't really there.

The grind's actually more apparent after glitching, where I got to see how rare certain cars are in spins. There's nothing wrong with a collect-'em-up, but I'd much rather 50-100 cars with sim physics and a better map.

Solar Crown has a golden opportunity to swoop in and offer that, but they've gone arcade as well. They're gonna fail.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s other ways to collect cars aside from spins, though; weekly and monthly challenges and making good use of the auction house, both in buying and selling, being the major ones.

How long were you playing the game for before you started glitching?
  • Imagine wanting to glitch a Forza game fuck me
  • It's elden ring
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

A few hours. Long enough to realise it was worth jumping on the glitch before they patched it. It'd be interesting to know how many others did. Supposing hundreds of thousands found its repetitious grinding the lesser of two evils...

You don't mind that I unlocked the cars and houses in a few days while you're still chasing loads down? Unlocks consisting not of ability but tens of hours poured in. If you can honestly say you've never felt frustration, great.

Once I had everything I was able to concentrate on the driving, and IMO it's not all that. 50's a large fightman roster, but it's rare to find a game with that sort of garage now. FH5's the most quantity over quality driving game I've played.

I think many reject the idea of fewer cars because we're so used to minimal differences. I'd like to play a game where each car had spent five times as long in dev. It's 23 and I still feel Gran Turismo did one of the best jobs of giving cars character.

One of the things I like about WipEout Omega is how the ships all have good and bad tracks, making for interesting weaponless multiplayer championships.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Horizon series definitely suffers from glut, and has been on a bigger is better mantra for past few titles. I would like to see more of an editorial hand in the next one.

Unless this was your first entry in the series, however, I can't see this as most disappointing game of the year; from its first reveal, I knew exactly what it would be - more FH.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Some mad twat is gonna put Elden Ring in this equivalents thread of 2022 and I will lose my shit

Mate I've got it ready to go. Fucking game of thrones stab death

Fckin jizzin yer kecks to Kong Mushroom Cannon WaLuigi Splatthon ain't ya degenerate who are ya

That game sounds amazing

HQjYq7v.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

A few hours. Long enough to realise it was worth jumping on the glitch before they patched it. It'd be interesting to know how many others did. Supposing hundreds of thousands found its repetitious grinding the lesser of two evils...

You don't mind that I unlocked the cars and houses in a few days while you're still chasing loads down? Unlocks consisting not of ability but tens of hours poured in. If you can honestly say you've never felt frustration, great.

Once I had everything I was able to concentrate on the driving, and IMO it's not all that. 50's a large fightman roster, but it's rare to find a game with that sort of garage now. FH5's the most quantity over quality driving game I've played.

I think many reject the idea of fewer cars because we're so used to minimal differences. I'd like to play a game where each car had spent five times as long in dev. It's 23 and I still feel Gran Turismo did one of the best jobs of giving cars character.

One of the things I like about WipEout Omega is how the ships all have good and bad tracks, making for interesting weaponless multiplayer championships.

Unlocks don’t consist of hours poured in, as I say, weekly and monthly challenges are skill based unlocks. There are tons of cars available through accolades. Making good use of the auction house is another way of unlocking cars. If there’s a specific car that I want in a Forza game, I’m not trying to get it from a wheelspin.

And no, I’m not remotely bothered about you having unlocked everything through your glitch, I’m quite happy with a session every week or so where I take on new challenges with parts of my garage that I may not have paid much attention to in order to unlock a few more bits and pieces. It’s not like I haven’t got most, if not all the cars that I really wanted in my garage already.

You can play the game how you want, of course, but I think it’s a bit ridiculous to suggest a game needs calling out for a set of systems which you glitched your way past and evidently never really engaged with in the first place. It would be like if I called out Doom for being too easy if, after a few hours play, I switched on god mode and breezed through the rest of the game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My top 5

1) The Gunk
    2) Mario Golf
    3) The Medium
    4) Warioware Get It Together
    5) Pac Man 99
  • FH is now definitely just a game for its fans. There’s no way a newcomer (hi) can be anything other than overwhelmed and then under managed by its splurge and glut of stuff it throws out. This doesn’t make it a bad game but it certainly makes it a terrible example of a well designed UX. If you’ve been in for a while and it’s doing what you want then I’m sure that it’s great but it’s a franchise that I’ve tried to get into over the past two iterations now and it just feels like it doesn’t want me there.

For me it’s exactly like those magic eye pics from the 90’s that I couldn’t see because of my stupid vision. I want to experience the thrills I hear others discussing but I just can’t ever seem to make it work for me, no matter how I approach it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And yet I'd say it makes one of the best first impressions of any game consistently. It really wants you to just have fun.

I get you though, the map is an absolute mess but they're rock and hard place between metering stuff out and just letting people hoon about which is now one of the best attractions of the series.

As I said above, a more edited set of objectives is what I'd prefer.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Forza’s last two iterations have been where player counts exploded, so it has to have been attracting newcomers over those two games.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They've also been on Gamepass.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And pretty consistently in the Steam top sellers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You have gamepass, you have people influencing. These aren't mutually exclusive. Also I think they were the first ones on Steam?

If so, the let's see what this is about force is strong.
  • Yeah! Totally agree. The opening intro is astounding on every one I’ve ever tried and, this time, it’s definitely gonna be the one I like as much as the rest of you lot. And then I hit the festival start grid and from there it just feels degenerates to something that really feels like it needs much more careful thought than what it just keeps doing.

Edit. At regs post up there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    You have gamepass, you have people influencing. These aren't mutually exclusive. Also I think they were the first ones on Steam?

If so, the let's see what this is about force is strong.

They were, but the point is more that people are willing to buy them on Steam, those numbers aren’t just due to Game Pass.

The last game had almost 10M playing it before it was even available to anyone who just wanted to access it through GP without paying extra.

GP has certainly been a factor in the series’ success, but there’s definitely more to it than that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They're big and huge games, I get ya. They're also dense for newcomers. Again, all I want is a bit more control over how much stuff is in the game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah! Totally agree. The opening intro is astounding on every one I’ve ever tried and, this time, it’s definitely gonna be the one I like as much as the rest of you lot. And then I hit the festival start grid and from there it just feels degenerates to something that really feels like it needs much more careful thought than what it just keeps doing.

Edit. At regs post up there.

Did you try knocking off the accolades? That seems to be the more curated experience if you want it, it’s just easily ignored too.
  • GTA Trilogy.
    I really wasn't asking for too much with this, not once SA was put on GP anyway.
    I dont care about the low quality graphics and things that could be patched out.
    The real issue is they didn't bother making it a playable game.
    They put in checkpoints but placed them poorly.
    They added GTAV's aim system put didnt put in the cover it relies upon.

Its not a dissapointment in the sense that I was expecting so much rather that they delivered so little. Well below the viable minimum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!