Objectively the most perfect game (it's Rocket League)
  • Rocket League got boring for me after a few matches and also never really really wanted to play again after initial release on PS Plus all those years ago... so yeah.  Far from perfect.  For me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    People just listing their favourite game when it's had 17 sequels that others argue are better...SHEESH! ;)
    If that’s in reference to Halo, then no, I absolutely consider the mechanics, sandbox and balance in Halo: CE to be perfect in a way that was never bettered by the sequels.

Firstly, this is just meant to be a bit of fun.
    Secondly, i thought the 'SHEESH' and the wink made it clear it was a tongue in cheek response.
    Thirdly, you're wrong anyway cos it's Rocket League. ;)
    Fourthly, if you do want to go for Halo:CE, then you're first saying that there's not a single thing any of the sequels do or add that in anyway would improve the original (never mind stuff in the other billion FPSs). Otherwise you're just picking your favourite game :P

As I’ve mentioned, I may actually prefer Infinite now purely because of the grapple, but the sandbox is not as pure and well-balanced as it was in Halo, which makes it less “perfect”, even if I prefer it. So no, I’m not picking my favourite game, I’m picking the entry in the series which I think comes closest to perfection.
  • Simpler games seem to fit here I guess. I'd give a shout to Geomotry wars 2 as a potential "perfect game" given that while 3 was fun and added things, GW2 has a balance to the game that the sequel and original missed.

I think original Super Mario also a contender  - Its not the best Mario but it feels perfcetly complete in its own world.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GW2 is pretty much the perfect realisation of twin stick shooting. Robotron is its only real rival.

I personally can't classify won and done games as perfect which means the likes of SMB and its sequels aren't in. A perfect game to me is replayable to a practically limitless degree.

I know I list Monkey Ball as perfect - but it's Monkey Ball's multiplayer mini games that make it so, not so much the main game. It's the complete package that does it for me.

if it's one player perfect games then I'd take Monkey Ball out.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Multiplayer Bomberman.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    D6Dt8xO.jpg It’s Danganronpa.

Is that number 3?

I enjoyed the first one a lot. I don't think they're 'objectively' perfect games (if there's such a thing), but I do like good writing in games, and the first one, like Persona 4, hand some great characters in it.

What happened to the Sony VR demo the dev had knocking around?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's Mario Kart. Like literally, we did a survey and science and stuff.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK wrote:
    GW2 is pretty much the perfect realisation of twin stick shooting. Robotron is its only real rival. I personally can't classify won and done games as perfect which means the likes of SMB and its sequels aren't in. A perfect game to me is replayable to a practically limitless degree. I know I list Monkey Ball as perfect - but it's Monkey Ball's multiplayer mini games that make it so, not so much the main game. It's the complete package that does it for me. if it's one player perfect games then I'd take Monkey Ball out.

Fair point on the one and done aspect of some games limiting the replayable, although some one and done games are fully open to replay value (titan fall 2 has a nice, short excellent campaign for example)

I'd also nominate Slay the Spire as a possible. it doesnt feel "perfect" but I think its so very close. I've sunk so many hours into it and I play it both for the challenege and sometimes dumb it right down to low levels to feel like a god.

Edit: Oh, of course Mario Kart has to be considered.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Actually no, I'm thinking of the wrong set of results, it's Portal.

Only 60% of forumites even think Rocket League is great so it's not objectively perfect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mario Kart. Possibly. But which one?

I enjoyed SMK and DD the most.

DD has a LAN mode for up to 8 consoles which if implemented provides the ultimate MK experience as far as I'm concerned. 2 players per kart. 16 players. On Baby Park Oval with all weapons on. :>

It also has a proper battle mode.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Multiplayer Bomberman.

This and MP Warlords with paddle controllers.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Actually no, I'm thinking of the wrong set of results, it's Portal.

Only 60% of forumites even think Rocket League is great so it's not objectively perfect.

All that proves is that 40% of forumites cannot recognise greatness when it’s in front of them.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Advance Wars, though again, I wouldn't call it 'objectively' great, had a great 'core' experience. Though I was proven to be shit at it, and while I can't be sure if the game design is original, AW, even the web guise, had very few complaints about balance.

In fact it's a shame Nintendo didn't throw AWBW developers a bone, because that project had a lot of traction, and was a great direction for the franchise.

Bright and 'consoley', deep and nuanced... Could be played asynchronously, needed barely any resource to run a client... AWBW was extremely clever.

I'd guess the coming reboot will have a strong online component
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    1 Portal 91.7%
    2 Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents (any entry) 90.0%
    3 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 89.5%
    4 Super Mario Kart (any entry) 88.5%
    5 Halo (any entry) 87.5%
    6 Super Metroid 86.7%
    7 Hades 84.6%
    =8 Bishi Bashi (any entry) 83.3%
    =8 Ico 82.4%
    10 Civilization II 81.8%
    =11 Micro Machines (any entry) 80.0%
    =11 Left 4 Dead (any entry) 80.0%
    13 Super Mario 64 79.2%
    14 Virtua Tennis (any entry) 78.9%
    15 Super Monkey Ball (any entry) 77.3%
    16 Tetris 76.9%
    17 Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 76.2%
    =18 Doom 75.0%
    =18 Slay the Spire 75.0%
    20 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 73.9%

We only surveyed games we thought most forumites would have played though.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Noughts and crosses.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Noughts and crosses is broken. It needs a fix.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    So yeah, my pick: Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

This too.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    1 Portal 91.7%
    2 Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents (any entry) 90.0%
    3 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 89.5%
    4 Super Mario Kart (any entry) 88.5%
    5 Halo (any entry) 87.5%
    6 Super Metroid 86.7%
    7 Hades 84.6%
    =8 Bishi Bashi (any entry) 83.3%
    =8 Ico 82.4%
    10 Civilization II 81.8%
    =11 Micro Machines (any entry) 80.0%
    =11 Left 4 Dead (any entry) 80.0%
    13 Super Mario 64 79.2%
    14 Virtua Tennis (any entry) 78.9%
    15 Super Monkey Ball (any entry) 77.3%
    16 Tetris 76.9%
    17 Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 76.2%
    =18 Doom 75.0%
    =18 Slay the Spire 75.0%
    20 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 73.9%

We only surveyed games we thought most forumites would have played though.

That's quite the list and portal is up there.
    Others from that list I'd choose are hades, bishi bashi, ico, tetris.

I don't really like rocket league despite getting platinum on it I much prefer the more simplified nature of super sonic acrobatic rocket powerd racecars that came before it.

Twister and hide and seek both beat noughts and crosses.
  • Chess. On… PC? Whatever. 

Chess.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    People just listing their favourite game when it's had 17 sequels that others argue are better...SHEESH! ;)
    If that’s in reference to Halo, then no, I absolutely consider the mechanics, sandbox and balance in Halo: CE to be perfect in a way that was never bettered by the sequels.

Secondly, i thought the 'SHEESH' and the wink made it clear it was a tongue in cheek response.
    Fourthly, if you do want to go for Halo:CE, then you're first saying that there's not a single thing any of the sequels do or add that in anyway would improve the original (never mind stuff in the other billion FPSs). Otherwise you're just picking your favourite game :P

As I’ve mentioned, I may actually prefer Infinite now purely because of the grapple, but the sandbox is not as pure and well-balanced as it was in Halo, which makes it less “perfect”, even if I prefer it. So no, I’m not picking my favourite game, I’m picking the entry in the series which I think comes closest to perfection.

Destiny mechanics, gunplay and level design trumps halol in my opinion and is infinitely more playable.
    (Especially in teams of 6)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    1 Portal 91.7% 2 Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents (any entry) 90.0% 3 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 89.5% 4 Super Mario Kart (any entry) 88.5% 5 Halo (any entry) 87.5% 6 Super Metroid 86.7% 7 Hades 84.6% =8 Bishi Bashi (any entry) 83.3% =8 Ico 82.4% 10 Civilization II 81.8% =11 Micro Machines (any entry) 80.0% =11 Left 4 Dead (any entry) 80.0% 13 Super Mario 64 79.2% 14 Virtua Tennis (any entry) 78.9% 15 Super Monkey Ball (any entry) 77.3% 16 Tetris 76.9% 17 Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 76.2% =18 Doom 75.0% =18 Slay the Spire 75.0% 20 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 73.9% We only surveyed games we thought most forumites would have played though.

Wait... What's the source of this list? Or at least the question that inspired it?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Slay the Spire

My favourite game of all time, but with such shit graphics and an uninspiring art style I could never call it perfect. 

Factorio, on the other hand, nails everything just right.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    digi wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Destiny mechanics, gunplay and level design trumps halol in my opinion and is infinitely more playable.

I’ve put plenty of time into Destiny, it’s a lot of fun, but there are too many variables to account for which means losing the purity and moving further away from perfection. Plus far too much grinding.

Infinite with the grapple is stupidly fun, however, with no need to worry about grinding or numberwanging.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    We had a conversation about whether there was a single game every single person on the forum had played and thought was great. Then I took it too far and did a survey to try to find out if such a game existed. That list is the surveyed games by percentage of forumites that thought they were great (ignoring how many forumites had played them). However, the only games were surveyed were ones people thought most/all forumites would have played. Super Mario Bros. is the only game literally everyone claimed they had played, IIRC.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    No numberwang can’t be understated.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    We had a conversation about whether there was a single game every single person on the forum had played and thought was great. Then I took it too far and did a survey to try to find out if such a game existed. That list is the surveyed games by percentage of forumites that thought they were great (ignoring how many forumites had played them). However, the only games were surveyed were ones people thought most/all forumites would have played. Super Mario Bros. is the only game literally everyone claimed they had played, IIRC.

I think I remember that, but can't remember the name of the thread.
    I've done a double take, because I can't understand why Street Fighter is not on that list!
  • Yossarian wrote:
    digi wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I’ve put plenty of time into Destiny, it’s a lot of fun, but there are too many variables to account for which means losing the purity and moving further away from perfection. Plus far too much grinding.

Infinite with the grapple is stupidly fun, however, with no need to worry about grinding or numberwanging.

What you call purity is a boring set of around 12 weapons for me, grapple is fun but is better elsewhere.
    (Titanfall 2, apex legends, even scout in deep rock galactic)

You don't really have to grind on destiny because there is loads to do on it and the amount of weapons and builds is incredible each one different and special in its own way.

As for numberwang, it's just like a difficulty reminder.
    If your below the number then your playing on heroic or legendary if your above then your on easy/normal.

Gunplay on Destiny (and Destiny 2) has never been betterd its the best fps mechanicaly without a doubt.
    (Also its campaigns piss all over Halo especially forsken etc).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You’re explaining a lot of things to me that I already know, I put loads of time into Destiny, particularly D1 which I would rate higher than D2, personally speaking.

I disagree with most of your points, particularly that Destiny is better mechanically, it plays almost identically to Halo except adding super moves.

And the “boring” list of 12 weapons is, for me, a set of tools which all have their uses within the sandbox rather than a load of repeated weapon archetypes most of which you’ll avoid because they’re shittier versions of other guns.

And you absolutely do have to grind to complete certain things.
  • I definitely think the original set of Halo weapons was the best, later additions are mostly redundant though I do have a soft spot for the battle rifle and carbine.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Spartan Laser was good too, and now the volatile skewer, but none are particularly necessary additions to the game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!