Objectively the most perfect game (it's Rocket League)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I have never played Portal. I bought it on sale two weeks ago to play on my Steam Deck. I’m guessing it’s good then?
  • I considered it for this chat. Both games games are near perfect enough to get the full [10] from me I reckon. First game is a smidge better but the sequel has a top notch co-op mode too.

• !!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've started replaying Baba Is You (on mobile this time).

For what it does, I'd say it's also pretty perfect. Amazing inventiveness.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tetris reached a point where it was just as easy for casuals but facilitated an obscene level of skill.

There are now a handful of modes that are almost considered mandatory for a Tetris game - 40 line sprint mode and time attack aka Ultra modes usually sit alongside the classic marathon mode. And some sort of 2P versus add a considerable amount of gameplay to the basic formula keeping it pure.

There is now a specification for Tetris games called "Tetris Guideline" that has standardised official ports.

Even though they stray from the guideline, the Tetris Grandmaster (TGM) games are a strong candidate for that point in the game's history where it really become perfect. There isn't any aspect of that game that is left to chance. The piece colours are used by elite level players to recognise in peripheral vision in the preview piece area enabling planned moves. These games enable inhuman displays of skill (check the GDQ demonstrations) including an invisible stack.

The delayed auto shift, lock down delay, the rotation scheme, gravity system, ghost piece, bag randomiser and hard drop features all improve the game and reward increasing skills all without polluting the pureness of the original game. TGM is perhaps slightly too difficult for its own good though. I've only been able to play TGM1 using emulation so far and it's been an arcade game in the main (though I believe it got a release on 360 in Japan).

Other games have more user friendly features such as a hold piece and show more preview pieces. Tetris Party Dx does that as well as supporting 4 players.

Tetris new Century is a Sega Tetris update by M2 that is another candidate. It adds all the modern features to Sega Tetris making it play beautifully in marathon, sprint and time attack. And it's friendlier to casual players. It has the piece hold and a 3 piece preview queue which is a good balance between Tetris Party's longer queue (which admittedly can be tweaked in the options). This isn't easy to get hold of though as it's a J-PS2 exclusive still which is a pity.

I haven't dived into Tetris Effect long enough to judge but it's certainly a crowd pleaser.

With respect to handheld Tetris which some might argue is the best way to play it, I haven't played it enough yet, and I can't find the damn cart, but Tetris DS is a strong candidate too.

And then some might Puyo Puyo is better.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The genius thing that Tetris Effect added to the formula (AFAIK), which sounds daft when written down, is that the game sometimes gets slower as well as faster. It really changes the whole feel of the game.
  • I now understand why Cinty loves Danganronpa so much
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The genius thing that Tetris Effect added to the formula (AFAIK), which sounds daft when written down, is that the game sometimes gets slower as well as faster. It really changes the whole feel of the game.

There are some older games that do that too. Sega Tetris does it.  And classic mode in Tetris Plus does it too. It feels like a reward for getting over a difficulty peak - yeah it's a nice feature.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It’s place in history a given but sitting in the year 2022, Tetris really is the most simplistic, overrated pile of pixels.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hush you.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

There are some older games that do that too. Sega Tetris does it.  And classic mode in Tetris Plus does it too. It feels like a reward for getting over a difficulty peak - yeah it's a nice feature.

Fair enough, wasn’t aware of those.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Fair enough, wasn’t aware of those.

I don't know what causes it - but I have noticed it. Tetris Plus has a meter that fills up that seems to be connected to it. There aren't many games that use it. I think it was a Sega innovation. Sega's Tetris was highly influential in its modernisation. But having that feature which I presume is designed to make a game last longer is a major differentiator between modern games.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    It’s Daley Thompson’s Decathlon on the C64.

That 1500m race was an awful experience iirc.
  • I was made to do it twice in detention many years ago. The teacher deliberately wandered off for the last bit, then made me start again when I found him in the PE block staff room so he could record a time (I'd manage to dodge it for the whole year). He won that one tbf.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I now understand why Cinty loves Danganronpa so much

I don't think it belongs in a 'objective' list (or better still, the 'objective' list possibly shouldn't exist), but it does that strange thing that makes a simple narrative game feel like so much more than what it is at it's root.

Others are Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Half Life, Persona 4... What was that Commander Shepherd shit again? Never played it.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's super Mario World
  • I watched that video of Tom Brier sight reading the SMW ending theme about 5 times last night, at least. I return to it often. I didn't even know the tragic story of the guy. You've probably all seen it but I'll link it in a sec because I absolutely love ragtime and, surprisingly, Nintendo have made some of the finest ragtime in modern memory.
  • When you say "sight reading" do you mean he's never played this before and is seeing the music for the first time?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sister was round today, with her fam.

Somewhat coincidentally Tetris came up, so I gave her a go on the GB version (on my Pocket). Much joy was had. That music...

And meanwhile her kids and mine were playing 4P MK8 on the WiiU, mix of steering efforts on Wii controllers, and normal pads. Another pretty pure form of fun.

Many smiles throughout.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    When you say "sight reading" do you mean he's never played this before and is seeing the music for the first time?

I think that is what is meant.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I have never played Portal. I bought it on sale two weeks ago to play on my Steam Deck. I’m guessing it’s good then?

It's very clever and very good. I haven't played it enough to consider its position though.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    When you say "sight reading" do you mean he's never played this before and is seeing the music for the first time?

Yeah that's what sight reading is.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!