Objectively the most perfect game (it's Rocket League)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The Spartan Laser was good too, and now the volatile skewer, but none are particularly necessary additions to the game.

They are all a bit underwhelming.
    The br and magnum are both in d2 too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why do you keep talking to me like I don’t know what Destiny is?
  • Chess if a duffer game imo. It’s only well regarded because it’s well regarded.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Is it my tone?

All critics you can look up agree that destiny (and 2) are better games than Halo.
    Modern Halo is nowhere near as good as the current build of Destiny 2, which has surpassed modern Halo. It's not necessarily fair to compare Destiny 2 to much older Halo games, which are 20-years-old, but Destiny 2 has superior lore, cinematics, story, gameplay, and multiplayer than Halo

I mean you personally are never gonna agree because of your love of Halo, but secretly you know I'm right.
    (I also think ce is better than Infinite and Halo 3 is the best of the series)
    None of them match up to that first vog or kingsfall from d1 especially.
  • I also think Halo is better than Destiny so where does that leave us?
  • Both are far from perfect.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I also think Halo is better than Destiny so where does that leave us?

Wrong! ;)
    LivDiv wrote:
    Both are far from perfect.

Correct.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Destiny is more fun in co-op I reckon. But Halo has the better mechanics, single player and absolutely trounces the fuck out if Destiny in PvP multiplayer
  • Destiny better than Halo lol that’s a good one.

Wait, are you serious?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    digi wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Is it my tone?

No, it’s the fact that you keep saying things like there are BR and pistol equivalents in Destiny. I know, I have 2 vaults groaning under the weight of hand cannons and pulse rifles.

All critics you can look up agree that destiny (and 2) are better games than Halo.

One look at metacritic disproves that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've done a double take, because I can't understand why Street Fighter is not on that list!

One of the SF games deserves to be on any best of list but I'm not qualified to say which one. SF2T has probably brought pleasure to most out of that series?

One of the SFiv games maybe?

A barrier to perfection is its relative inaccessability. Spamming buttons is too tempting for casuals and gets boring.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Frantic is mega handsome and sexy, probably the most handsome man alive

Can't argue with facts.
  • digi wrote:

uySjBua.gif
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Frantic is mega handsome and sexy, probably the most handsome man alive

Can't argue with facts.

Stop looking in my diary, it's a breach of trust
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ah, so you agree with the critics.
  • Halo is much better than Destiny as a PvP game. Destiny is brilliant for co-op lolbanter but it is a fucking trashfire mess in PvP. Halo obliterates it.

Tetris and Rocket League are both great shouts in this thread.
  • Elite Beat Agents shouldn't be on the same line as Ouendan.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I think people are interpreting the question differently, some 'what is my favourite game' takes I think rather than 'what do I think is a game that achieves what it sets out to do perfectly and if you like that, it's perfect'. That's how I'm considering the question anyway. Granted a lot of crossover between both for most because that's just how people work.

Some great examples here that'd I'd agree with, particularly Trials and Geometry Wars (even if people do keep saying 'Geometry Wars 2' e.g. when that's the third at least Geometry Wars game I think (if they mean RE).

Anyway, for me as you'd have probably guessed, IIDX and it's sims are perfect. 99% maybe more of folks who play it past a certain amount / level play on random, which means every time you play it, it's different and you're sight reading, to a degree. I rarely play it anymore simply because I battered it over a period of about a decade, but what it sets out to do and what it delivers, is perfect and is still the absolute daddy of music games (with Ouendan probably second above whatever your GH is of choice in third, DDR losing out on the podium but getting a nod for keeping nerds fit for years).

IIDX though, what an absolute monster. Simple to understand, difficult to get into, no difficulty curve but a straight up difficulty brick wall, right from the easiest song. No one passes even the easiest song on their first go. They fail. And fail hard. This happens repeatedly. Most give up because what masochist would continue? But, those of us into kink keep cracking at it, and all of a sudden, something happens... something clicks... and when that moment happens, you just want more. Then you put random on and all your favourite songs challenge you to a unique experience every time you play them. Love it. Must get back to it. It's also probably the highest skill ceiling game I can think of, with ease. It took me a year or so to clear the hardest stuff in GH3. I've played IIDX for nearly 15 years and accept I will never, ever clear the hardest stuff, I won't even clear several tiers down. It's a lifelong challenge that will never end. And it's so simple - white and blue blocks falling down. That's it. Simplicity. And it started the whole genre. Amazing game.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Agree with Nick. Tetris isn't my bag but it does what it sets out to do perfectly well, not my favorite type of game by a long shot but undeniably perfect
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tetris is perfect but playing older versions is annoying now because of the sticky controls. The control and rotation scheme was improved. So when did it become perfect?
  • Tetris Effect on PS4 is easily my favourite.
  • Tetris effect is in my view the perfect Tetris game.
  • Starting a thread for trying to find the objectively best game ever, and then ruling out Tetris because it's the obvious choice (and would invalidate the OP) is a bit of a cop out.

Tetris simply is the objectively best game ever.

Everything else is fighting for second place.

Didn't think of it earlier, but something like Sims or Sim City 2000 would be right near the top too.
  • Snake on a 3210.
  • Snake on my 6150 was better.
  • digi wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Is it my tone?

Modern Halo is nowhere near as good as the current build of Destiny 2, which has surpassed modern Halo. It's not necessarily fair to compare Destiny 2 to much older Halo games, which are 20-years-old, but Destiny 2 has superior lore, cinematics, story, gameplay, and multiplayer than Halo

I mean you personally are never gonna agree because of your love of Halo, but secretly you know I'm right.
    (I also think ce is better than Infinite and Halo 3 is the best of the series)
    None of them match up to that first vog or kingsfall from d1 especially.

I mean fucking lol at d1 or d2 campaigns being close to the best of halo. That is patently ridiculous. I know I put over 500 hrs into d1 and I'd guess close to the same in d2 across Xbox and pc, and campaign structure and moments in halo shit all over the destinies. I can't believe it's even up for discussion.

As far as moment to moment mechanics and weapon sets I'd rate first trilogy halo over destiny. Yes it's a purity thing.

The destinies are great, and you could hunt out particular weapons/weapon types that are awesome, but reckon it's telling that most of them, for me, become hunting for the halo feeling. (what up sidearms, what up that red/crimson battle rifle thing who's name eludes me.)

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Also, xi/devil's dice.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Snake on my 6150 was better.

Surround on the 2600 is a 2p battle version. Was a launch game.

There's an indie XBL game called Snake Party which is the genre pinnacle.

• It’s Daley Thompson’s Decathlon on the C64.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!