Elden Ring no spoiler tags friendly exploration thread
  • Why can't I cast sorceries?? I have the level requirements for both the spell and the staff but still nothing. I don't get what's happening??
    Are they sorcery or incantations? They look similar but some need a specific staff I think.

Yep, could be FP reasons, could be incantations (they need a seal - not a staff) or you could be trying to enchant a weapon that already has a passive (can't make a bleed weapon poison, etc)
  • Yeah I have about 12 staffs and all sorts of stuff but every single spell is greyed out. Not the red X that says I can't use it because of level, they're just greyed out.

I have the poison blade thing equipped but it won't work on any weapon. Is that an incantation or a sorcery?
  • Poison sounds like incantation. The poison mist certainly is.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Poison Armament is an Incantation, says in the description and that's the tab it lives in when you memorise spells/look at your inventory I believe. You'll need to hit the Faith requirement and have Sacred Seal equipped, and be casting it on a weapon with no other enhancements like bleed etc.

if you haven't got a Seal you can get one in the Roundtable Hold store.
  • That damn spirit summoning snail got me. Totally fell for its trick the first time.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Poison Armament is an Incantation, says in the description and that's the tab it lives in when you memorise spells/look at your inventory I believe. You'll need to hit the Faith requirement and have Sacred Seal equipped, and be casting it on a weapon with no other enhancements like bleed etc.

if you haven't got a Seal you can get one in the Roundtable Hold store.

So it turns out, after 60 odd hours of play, I'm yet to pick up a seal lol!!
  • Explored further through dragon land, found a cave which led to a mine which led to a fight with a fire wyrm beast that i eventually beat after multiple attempts, spoke to a chatty pot, and then came out the other end of the mine to find myself back in a part of limgrave i'd never been to previously.

struggling to upgrade my weapons though as i have lots of smithing stones the level above and below the ones i need but not finding any of the right level! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The new update has apparently added some smithing stones to merchants and reduced the cost. Might be worth checking.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Went back to the beginning grave and went on a trip down the depths avoiding spiky chariots and invisible attacks from ghosts to take on the Ulcerating Tree Bois. Think I 'm a bit overlevelled so even when he munched down I still had health left, ended up falling to my frozen sword with some nice frost damage. Then off to windmill land to one of the creepiest parts of the game. There's nothing more unsettling for when you have enemies that just dance and don't attack.  Godskin pilgrim guy was a handful but switched to my Bloodblade and took them down with a bit of poison, a jellyfish and some lovely bleed damage. Also spent some time in the capital but I ended up running into a lion thing and just generally running from everything so I've noped out of that for a while. 
    Also hit Volcano Manor, went on a few invasion quests and found out the last one I need to take out is in a land marked on the map which suddenly doubled the apparent size of the play area. 

Keep picking up sorceries and took a trip to dragon island to learn some new spells. Which I need to increase my Arcane to use. This game is phenomenal
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Tempy wrote:
    Poison Armament is an Incantation, says in the description and that's the tab it lives in when you memorise spells/look at your inventory I believe. You'll need to hit the Faith requirement and have Sacred Seal equipped, and be casting it on a weapon with no other enhancements like bleed etc. if you haven't got a Seal you can get one in the Roundtable Hold store.
    So it turns out, after 60 odd hours of play, I'm yet to pick up a seal lol!!

Never change you lovely man. I geniunely lolled at this.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Tempy wrote:
    Poison Armament is an Incantation, says in the description and that's the tab it lives in when you memorise spells/look at your inventory I believe. You'll need to hit the Faith requirement and have Sacred Seal equipped, and be casting it on a weapon with no other enhancements like bleed etc. if you haven't got a Seal you can get one in the Roundtable Hold store.
    So it turns out, after 60 odd hours of play, I'm yet to pick up a seal, arf!!
    FTFY
  • "I Have enough Int, why can't I cast this Faith spell" is an all-timer, for sure.
  • Yesterday I was again fighting the misbeggotten in the south and he has a mate turn up. Man that whole fight seems perfectly designed to counter my single squishy person - if there’s one baddie I will own you but two guys and one has a fuck of shield? FML.
  • Keen to see these extra smithing stones early on.
    My only real gripe currently is that there aren't enough stones early on to experiment and a game with this much scope really should allow you to trial leveling a few different things even if just a few levels.
    I dont mind having to grind runes to buy them.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Keen to see these extra smithing stones early on. My only real gripe currently is that there aren't enough stones early on to experiment and a game with this much scope really should allow you to trial leveling a few different things even if just a few levels. I dont mind having to grind runes to buy them.
    Same here. Because the scope of the game is so much bigger I was surprised by how long I needed to play in order to get my base weapons to decent stats. Making the smithing stone easier to get should encourage more variation in loadouts.
  • Exactly.

If anyone finds out what merchants and enemies are holding these stones give us a shout.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    The loading times seem faster on PS4 and the bubble trumpet hasn't been nerfed. Good patch.
  • Tempy wrote:
    "I Have enough Int, why can't I cast this Faith spell" is an all-timer, for sure.

I must've missed where it stipulates where a spell is an incantation or a sorcery. It's easily done in From games I'm not the only one go easy.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Keen to see these extra smithing stones early on.
    My only real gripe currently is that there aren't enough stones early on to experiment and a game with this much scope really should allow you to trial leveling a few different things even if just a few levels.
    I dont mind having to grind runes to buy them.

Agreed. It would be nice to be able to undo an upgrade and get your stones back to try on something else.
  • "I Have enough Int, why can't I cast this Faith spell" is an all-timer, for sure.
    I must've missed where it stipulates where a spell is an incantation or a sorcery. It's easily done in From games I'm not the only one go easy.
    If you know, you know...and if you don't, you're fucked. ;)
  • Has anyone done the black knife catacomb? That thing is tough.

I kind of like the environmental puzzles in this game in abstract but I think I’d prefer not having a dozen resurrecting skeletons doing me in so I can work it out.
  • You know you can end them permanently by bashing them when they're down right? IIRC in the Black Catacombs there are mages you have to kill before you can kill the skellies for good though...
  • Yep. But one of the puzzle rooms requires scanning the room with skeletons and the wizard is hidden in an alcove that requires solving the puzzle to kill.
  • Use the huge cleaver things that come down as a lift to get to the mage on the ledge.
  • Unless you’re talking about a different catacomb to the one I did…
  • Tempy wrote:
    "I Have enough Int, why can't I cast this Faith spell" is an all-timer, for sure.

It's meant with affection, but it is very funny sorry.
  • Yeah that’s the solution to the puzzle. But I think it’s not an easy solution to come up with given the scariness of the objects (blades) and the inability to clear the room (to check they are something you can stand on).
  • The blades aren't as bad as you think you have to really try to get hit by them.
  • Yeah I did run past it, get stuck, then wander around before sussing it.
  • The blades aren't as bad as you think you have to really try to get hit by them.

I mean obviously they aren’t that bad if you can ride them but before you know that they could be lethal just from touching them - added to the fact you have to fight a couple of skeletons it put me in an apprehensive mindset.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!