The Batman discussion- RPatz the best Bats? Spoilers ahead
  • I loved it.

Best live action Batman film.

Pattinson didn't ruin Batman with an over the top growling voice.

It's shot beautifully. Lots of wide angles.

Hopefully Joker is left until the third movie. They really hinted at Hush, even having the word flash up on screen in one of Riddlers videos.

If they're going to keep it more grounded, I'd like to see someone like Calendar Man. He has to track him down over the course of a year, getting closer, and closer each major holiday. Again, would let it be more like a detective noir, than your typical superhero stuff.
  • I loved it. Great, dark, moody, bleak, and brutal. I like brutal Batman. And yeah, another fan of the “detective movie with Batman in it”. 

@DS. Definitely a good film film rather than superhero film
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    He did get a little Bale growly at some points, but yeah for the most part he avoided that particular trap
  • It's made me want to seek out more Patz. What's the go-to?
  • The Lighthouse. And Twilight. Both tops.
  • One yes answer one troll, okay okay
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    One yes answer one troll, okay okay

High Life, Good Time, Maps to the Stars, The Rover, The Devil All The Time.

And The Lighthouse as Cinty says.
  • I said 2 movies, mate!
  • Well, technically more than 2. Can’t just watch one twilight.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Avoiding going to see this as with a lot of films shot round here the cinema will just be full of people going "that's that place" "no it's this other place" "etc"

Fuck, I hate that. Now that NI and Belfast is getting quite a bit of use in the industry I hate that place spotting shit that goes on. We are so fucking parochial  here and so many people get off on it. Fuck up and watch the film.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've always liked Batman but hated his enemies (TV show and DeVito the obvious exceptions). Same with Superman and Lex sodding Luthor, who only Hackman could just about save.

Doc Oc and Sandman are okay.

Make a Batman with a Romero Joker and I'm absolutely there. Really appreciate this guy's last two paras: https://www.quora.com/Whats-with-the-Joker-and-incels/answer/William-Castonzo
  • monkey wrote:
    Question lads, not arsed bout spoilers. Is it actually a good 'film'? As in if you give absolutely zero fucks whatsoever about Batman or its universe, still worth a watch? Not going cinema but the 3 hour thing kinda puts me off for this genre. But I love Pattinson.
    By the end of the movie you can see why Pattinson was interested in this version of the character. I think the film is less interested in him being Batman and more about the reasons why someone would wear a suit. It certainly didn't feel like a Batman movie to me in terms of what has come before. Did anyone else notice how much of the movie the trailer showed though. I tend to avoid trailers but watched the first teaser one and I think it showed nearly all of the actions sequences, multiple shots taken from the final 3rd and even the final 10 minutes. Also because of what it showed you could kind of see where certain things were going too. Pretty annoying really. Especially as it's a Batman film so people are gonna go see The Batman film regardless.
    They showed the final scene in the film in the trailers. Admittedly it didn’t give away much but it’s bloody weird. They also showed the Riddler getting captured in the trailers. Which I thought, in order for them to trail it, would be like the Joker in the Dark Knight - early on in the film and not as it appears. But no it was the actual capture of the film’s primary antagonist in the final third of the story.

Yeah I thought the exact same thing when I saw the trailer. It's especially weird because it is a procedural type movie so plot points unveil themselves as it moves along and so when you see a trailer that has character x in scenario y then you can start to connect the dots as you watch the film. Weird weird weird.
  • As a general rule, I find most trailers these days give away far too much of the movie. They just want to get as much hype going but dont really care if they spoil the whole thing for the audience. Definitely way too much wa given away on this from the few trailers I saw.

All in all, thought it was a very good movie, with a Gotham I'd like to see explored more. The cast were all pretty spot on, the mood is great, the music. The pacing is, for the most part, decent although nearly three hours is pushing it. Pattinson was solid in the role (and it feels way more Batman in this one than an alter ego) but not sure about floppy hair Bruce. Flashbacks to Emo Spiderman 3. 

My gripes are odd but are:

1. The car chase is excellent but the way it scales up (big stunt at the end) feels very out of place with the rest of the movie. Penguins car flips a huge amount of times and gets wrecked but he is.... grand?

2. The last third feels very over blown also for the tone of the movie. I would have preferred if they kept things a little more low-key. Sure, the flooding is a comic thing that happened but imagine that showing up in Seven or a similar movie? Like the car chasee, less would have been more

3. I did not like the bit at arkham with Joker and Riddler. It diluted the Riddler (who I thought was creepy as fuck with his wailing)and honestly, I'd like some new Batman villains over Joker please. The more realistic the better.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The joker riddler scene was the only one in the movie that I actively didn't like. No need for it to be in there at all except to tease stuff.
  • I thought it was good. Not great, but good. I am definitely glad I saw it in an IMAX because of how bloody dark the lighting is, and because the score is a bit poor so I appreciated the extra oomph of the audio. RPatz is a great Batman, the most like the one I read in comics. Cast is good and decent story. The bit with Joker at the end notwithstanding. I do NOT want to see another Joker battle. Who played the Joker btw?

Some scenes do suffer because it feels like you have seen them before: Batman in front of computer screens in the Batcave, Batman fighting in a night club, Alfred acknowledging he is not Bruce’s father but loves him like a son etc. Some of those scenes couldn’t help but remind me of the Nolan movies. And also some of the universe building was a bit too convenient like the contact lenses camera that mysteriously never showed eye lids blinking in the recorded footage. Does Batman just not blink all night?

But overall I’m happy they managed to do something different enough and an enjoyable three hours on the big screen.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I very much enjoyed this Batman, did many things different to previous Bat movies and the direction felt more like I was right alongside the players than watching from afar.

Not sure if it was on the regular movie thread where I saw some negativity towards Catwoman, but I thought she was grand too and integral to the story.

The ending did grate a little, as it’s clear Bats himself wants to go a different route than The Dark Knight to inspire people. Will be interesting to see how part 2 continues the story.

I watched it on a regular digital screen and didn’t find it dark at all, in fact the HDRness felt like it was turned up to 11.
    Things can only get better.
  • As a massive marvel fan and someone who enjoys action over story I found the film about an hour too long.
    Having said that I enjoyed this version of batman.
    The problem with batman has always been that he's not much of interesting character so you need interesting villains for the normal 'on top of every situation and nigh on perfect' type of batman so you have the comic/straight man routine.
    That this batman wasn't figuring everything out straight away plus combat that made him look vulnerable without him being weak made batman an interesting character for the first time in film.
    Very impressed.

Hated the batmobile though. A hot rod????
    That chase just felt like the fast and the furious.
    You rang.....
  • I think this was the best Batman (actor and movie) since Tim Burton's take. I loved how the movie looked. I loved how Gotham looked. R Pats was a great Batman. 
    This might be controversial, but they could have cut Selina Kyle entirely. Dont get me wrong Zoe K did a superb job acting wise but I didn't feel like she needed to be in the movie. Also she seemed fairly unambiguous. IMO, Cat Woman has always been quite edgy, she lived in the grey area mostly.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I saw The Batman. There's a film that needed some kind of brevity in it. All the performances are excellent, right up to the point where they interact with each other and you feel everyone is concentrating on their own delivery that they forget to look up from their script. Pattinson has the potential to be an amazing Batman, but I don't need another gritty real life Debbie Downer right now. There's no relationship between Alfred and Bruce, in fact Serkis is on screen for about 20 minutes in total. I really missed Caine. Colin Farrell is outstanding and deserves his kudos.
    There's no real reason for the big thing at the end to happen, it's a threat for threats sake. It seems like it's there to set up film two.
    There's too many bits with Batman walking really slowly. There's too many scenes that seem to stall the pace. In fact it could have done with losing half an hour. It should have had that surprise cut scene in it.
    Unlike the Marvel films where you walk out feeling entertained, I walked out of this feeling like I needed a palate cleanser. I'm not disappointed but it's going to be a long time before I watch this again.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Rev wrote:
    I saw The Batman. There's a film that needed some kind of brevity in it. All the performances are excellent, right up to the point where they interact with each other and you feel everyone is concentrating on their own delivery that they forget to look up from their script. Pattinson has the potential to be an amazing Batman, but I don't need another gritty real life Debbie Downer right now. There's no relationship between Alfred and Bruce, in fact Serkis is on screen for about 20 minutes in total. I really missed Caine. Colin Farrell is outstanding and deserves his kudos. There's no real reason for the big thing at the end to happen, it's a threat for threats sake. It seems like it's there to set up film two. There's too many bits with Batman walking really slowly. There's too many scenes that seem to stall the pace. In fact it could have done with losing half an hour. It should have had that surprise cut scene in it. Unlike the Marvel films where you walk out feeling entertained, I walked out of this feeling like I needed a palate cleanser. I'm not disappointed but it's going to be a long time before I watch this again.

To be fair that's about 19 minutes more of Serkis smug twattishness than i can normally stomach.
    The Forum Herald™
  • There was just no relationship between Alfred and Bruce and that was just weird.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I think there was, It's kind of implied they where close when he was young .. it's one of those teen things where you're distant from your father figure as part of your emo-no-one-understands-me before he comes back to him in the sequel
    The Forum Herald™
  • It didn't work for me. Lego Batman retains its crown.
  • The other problem the film has to contend with (and Spiderman is similar) - We have had several big budget batman movies in the last 2 decades. The film has to walk the fine line of introducing Characters but also assuming the audience knows them well enough. Imagine watching this movie and knowing nothing about Batman. A lot would not make sense but there have been so many modern day versions that it cant really spend time establishing its universe in the manner a regular movie would. I think this is why the Alfred character is so paper thin. I think its riffing off the one that was in Gotham (English Military Man) but cant say for sure.

Incidently, considering the end clip with the Joker was incldued, I'm not sure why this was left out...

SFV - reddave360
  • I'm really excited for this Joker. Dunno why but he just send to work well with Patman
  • Well imagine doing another origin story? At this point no one doesn’t know … I think it does a great job of Including non bat fans
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Well imagine doing another origin story? At this point no one doesn’t know … I think it does a great job of Including non bat fans

I'd agree we don't need another origin story ( but worth bearing in mind the last origin story is 17 years old. )

What i was getting at is that Alfred doesn't always have to be a part in this movies. We don't need him at all. So if it was underdeveloped this time, that's fine
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Saw this, I thought it was very good indeed. Not sure if it’s better than Nolan’s films, would take a rewatch to make that decision, but it’s at worst a very close second.

I am keen to rewatch it to see if there really were clues to the final plan throughout the film, I expect there probably were. That could well elevate it in my estimations.
  • I wish they'd used that cut scene with the Joker instead of the one they used in the film. Was much better representation of that version of the character and added a little to the story instead of being completely superfluous
  • I thought it was fine but I needed some vit D after I’d watched it. Yearned for a daylight shot or two more and a lump off the running time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!