Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • If you accept that they are different, why can’t you accept that some people will legitimately answer the question in a way you don’t like?
  • Whoa.....
    Revenge of the bear meme.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    If you accept that they are different, why can’t you accept that some people will legitimately answer the question in a way you don’t like?

I do accept that some will legitimately answer the bear. But 8 out of 10 doesn't pass the whiff test for me. Especially when it's a trend on tiktok, where such shite is manufactured. Just join in, follow the cool crowd, don't think about it. Like, why are you willing to accept that such a daft answer is an overwhelming majority without questioning it?

And again, I'd feel the same way about Tate's wanker followers if they said they'd prefer a bear pilot over a woman. I'd question the fuck out of that too, for the same reasons. Perhaps it's better to take a known twat like Tate out of it and attribute it to an unknown source, as he's reputation will already have me leaning one way. It would still strike as a WTF sort of answer and not something to immediately agree with, and certainly not something that shouldn't be questioned.

Where did this question originate from by the way? Do we know?
  • If you make stupid stunt questions don't get upset when people don't "get" the hidden meaning.

Of course Screenshot are actually fucking loving this, their engagement stats (that they boast about on Screenshot Media and the owner runs courses on) are through the roof.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    https://knowyourmeme.com/editorials/guides/why-do-women-choose-to-be-stuck-with-a-bear-over-a-man-in-the-woods-debate-over-hypothetical-question-explained

Screenshot just took this guy's nonsense and ran with it. For the clicks. I'd give the bloke, an anti-misogyny educator going from his profile, the benefit of the doubt, but then he does completely fuck up by saying things like women are taught not to get into the back of a can with a random man and men are not. I don't know about everyone else but I was taught that as a child. Taking sweets from strangers, going to see some puppies etc.

There's also a thing where there are fates worse than death for a woman, but not for a man. What are they? No comment. I'm going to assume he's talking about rape, but that's also a possibility for men is it not? Or are we saying it's only straight men who are capable of rape? The more I read the more bullshit is unearthed.

So the source is already skewed with some demonstrably wrong ideas about men and women, and because he seems to think that men do not face the same threats as women, is working from the position that men are literally incapable of understanding these threats or the response to them. Stupid fucking viral tiktok nonsense stems from a stupid fucking twat. Who'd have thunk it?
  • A lot of the responses show how loaded the question is to consider the man a threat.

Most answers assume the absolute worst and are doing the "Batman vs Superman" thing.
    "A bear wont hold me in a basement for 20 years" is exactly that. They are weighing up the worst things a man can do with the worst a bear can do.

The people being asked are jumping to the conclusion something bad will happen, which is fair enough because why else would the question be asked?

Whats missed is that while yes a very small portion of men are capable of such things the overwhelming majority, many more than passive bears, wont. They will likely do that weird horizontal smile we all do when passing a stranger and carry on with their lives. Even the misogynists will stop at a wolf whistle, not pleasant but better than having your organs flailed around the woods.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's the first time I watched the original video. It's a man asking the question. It's weird to me that women would stop to be questioned by a strange man considering that they're obviously way more scary than a bear. Maybe a bear asking the question would have been able to get more responses?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just seen one saying that the bear can be reasoned with and a man can't.

Again, it's like saying that a bear can be trained to fly a plane but a woman can't. Just straight up sexist nonsense. Pretty embarrassing really
  • But do you accept that a lot of women are afraid of encountering random males?
    You rang.....
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Of course. That's never been in doubt, has it?

A lot of men are wary about encountering other men too. Walking home from my dad's after the Superbowl at 4am, not a soul on the street, not a car on the roads. I was looking behind me as often as I was looking forward. I do it every year, it's as spooky as fuck.

If there was a bear on the loose I'd probably take a taxi
  • Lurch666 wrote:
    But do you accept that a lot of women are afraid of encountering random males?

And with good cause sadly. But personally I can see Pauls points on this. The question is loaded and really not helpful. For those who can see the point its making I'm guessing most of us are already aware (as has been pointed out) of our behaviour around women and how it can be perceived. For those who dont, I imagine this isnt going to help.

Worth throwing out there that if the question was phrased with something more racist or bigoted it would be rightly thrown out. It also plays into fear of something almost raising the fear levels of that something even more. Its often used in American politics - Hey Crime Stats are lower than ever, but the fear of crime is higher now. Nothing to do with media representation ramping up the fear of it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • POsted in other thread and now moved but it's a shit joke but what the hell...
    hylian_elf wrote:
    If you think you're better off in a survival situation with a fucking bear than a man, you're just plain daft
    Di Caprio did it in Revenant, survived a fucking bear.  The men would've just shot him dead at the earliest opportunity.  You can learn a lot from films.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • So is there a good way of putting the point across?
    Without increasing the issue in the first place.
    You rang.....
  • Lurch666 wrote:
    So is there a good way of putting the point across? Without increasing the issue in the first place.

Good question and I'm not sure. Whats the point that is trying to be given here - is it women are fearful of all men, is it men need to understand their very pressence is a threat to a lot of women, is it men need to act better towards woman or something else that I've missed? I think Questors point was why should he be made to feel a danger to women when its other men who are the cause and this question is too simply to show that?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Fun fact: In Germany there's this phenomenon called frauenparkplatz. It's basically a parkingspot especially reserved for women near an exit usually at the front of the garage.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I think Questors point was why should he be made to feel a danger to women when its other men who are the cause?

Social media storms aside, I think the important thing is for us guys to all understand that thanks to the actions of a few, consistently, over hundreds of years … we do inherently represent danger to lone women. I don’t think anyone here is denying that.

And we can do next to nothing about it, so we should at the very least take that knowledge to heart and show some empathy when it comes up in conversation. Taking over said conversation to moan about the unfairness of blaming all men spectacularly misses the point. In my opinion.
  • Also, this bear vs rapey man/men in the woods would make for one hell of a sexploitation horror movie!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I think Questors point was why should he be made to feel a danger to women when its other men who are the cause?

Social media storms aside, I think the important thing is for us guys to all understand that thanks to the actions of a few, consistently, over hundreds of years … we do inherently represent danger to lone women. I don’t think anyone here is denying that.

And we can do next to nothing about it, so we should at the very least take that knowledge to heart and show some empathy when it comes up in conversation. Taking over said conversation to moan about the unfairness of blaming all men spectacularly misses the point. In my opinion.

Has anyone done that?
  • Many people, across the Internet. Yes.
  • Sorry, many men, to be clear.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just nobody here? Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I'm on high alert for slippery snide comments aimed my way.

The way the topic is presented here invites all the duck eggs to chip in though. As others have said it plays into the misogynist's hands and will push confused young men in that direction
  • I cant find the right stat but what is the ratio of men who have committed sexual offences - is it 1 in 10 or something like that?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Just nobody here? Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I'm on high alert for slippery snide comments aimed my way.

I think you’ve been being a dick about it and deliberately poking us all to try and win some sort of Internet point. I’m happy to just say that, I don’t need to be slippery or snide.

(If I did want to play along with that and argue, I’d go back and quote the times over the last few pages where you’ve talked about the question being deliberately framed to paint all men in a bad light. But that’d be petty, and I’m sure you didn’t really mean it so literally.)

The way the topic is presented here invites all the duck eggs to chip in though. As others have said it plays into the misogynist's hands and will push confused young men in that direction

I don’t know what you mean by ‘duck eggs’. But I think the best way to help ‘confused young men’ is to talk in the open about why so many women feel afraid to walk home alone, to try and help them understand and maybe, just maybe, over a couple more generations we can reduce both the systemic and personal misogyny in our society. Not talking about it certainly doesn’t help.
  • Why are we getting this rattled by a stupid tiktok thing? I thought it was weird enough Questor saying they couldn't eat or sleep because of it but this is matching it. Who honestly gives a fuck? I'm probably one of the most SocMed-pilled people here due to my excessive twittering and IG'ing but even I know when to shrug and move on. Don't let it fry your brain, that's what it's meant to do.
  • Almost like there is something between not talking about it and nonsense questions that exist to drive internet engagement and division.
  • I don't think this is anything to worry about. Some people on a street giving throwaway answers to a silly question.
  • Apologies, I'm having a bad day and not meaning to take it out on anyone or anything.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But perhaps it is doing what it’s meant to do. Start the conversation. Even if the original premise is silly it stays the debate. We are having a reasonably balanced chat about it here, with the occasional run of puns.
  • Take a random bear, a random man, put them side by side in cages and tell the women that one of the cages is going to be opened. Then see what answers you get.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!