Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Chapter 3 boss is, well, bossing me

Got this fucker this morning, finally.  Rang the elf bell, went as full on attack as I could, and got the kill just as me + spectre were on our last legs.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I keep struggling to get a charge attack in when bosses are staggered, which is a bit annoying.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Blocking is legit, given you can then attack after to get the health back that you lost in the blocked attack.  Perfect parry stuff obviously better, but erring on blocking early than late is safest I think!

Yeah think I'll try that next time. First phase is no bother, I was just taking too many hits trying to dodge in second phase, and being strength wasn't getting many hits in after the dodge.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah dodging is a bit underpowered compared to souls - though the skill tree I think can make it better (once you have bits unlocked).  Parry (and aggressive block+attack) are comparatively stronger.  Hence more bloodborne/sekiro than soulsy I guess!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think my stagger annoyance will also ease if I level up the right stuff.  Need more quartz...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cathedral rafters, eh? FFS
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Onto chapter 5. Archbishop was indeed awks, took me quite a few goes.

I have no idea where I'm going, who how these locations you're into the vague bits of plot as I've understood them, but whatevs. Deffo more linear than DkS, but I guess similar to Bloodborne/Sekiro again (albeit with explicit chapter numbers this time!).
  • The new update has made the Archbishop a lot easier, I struggled on him pre patch and couldn’t get past him.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    How new is the patch? Hope you're not trying to talk me down by saying I merked a simpleton.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Blocking is legit, given you can then attack after to get the health back that you lost in the blocked attack.  Perfect parry stuff obviously better, but erring on blocking early than late is safest I think!

Yeah think I'll try that next time. First phase is no bother, I was just taking too many hits trying to dodge in second phase, and being strength wasn't getting many hits in after the dodge.

Did this guy in. Choosing when to block and when to dodge definitely helped. Now on to the rest!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm down with a cold, Flora has taken C out for the day, I've played some MGS4 in the garage because I'm aff my nut, but today feels like a Gamepass day. Let's see if this is The One
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm down with a cold, Flora has taken C out for the day, I've played some MGS4 in the garage because I'm aff my nut, but today feels like a Gamepass day. Let's see if this is The One

Compared to other Souls games the difficulty spikes and enemies that like to telegraph their attacks and then dilly dally over whether they fancy striking you sometimes in the next century means it’s probably the worst soulslike to try if you’re not already a fan.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Back to eggs
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    How new is the patch? Hope you're not trying to talk me down by saying I merked a simpleton.

No you’re LEET but the update was Wednesday for PC and Ps5 and Friday for the Xbox
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    BUT I ONLY KILLED HIM YESTERDAY!!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyway, at chapter 5 boss, nearly got em first go so don't think it should be too hard...
  • Is that the gang one? Or is that not the boss?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    BUT I ONLY KILLED HIM YESTERDAY!!

You’re not LEET to me now !!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That was the gang one. I'm not at a mad clown mini-boss, but ran away cos it's bed time.
  • Just beat the boss of the eighth level - a horrible poison swamp. The gargantuan hit point pools and delayed attacks are pretty frustrating but I at least have a weapon or three I am largely happy with at this point so I guess that's good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've moved from my starting weapon to a dancing scimitar or something. Need some more crescent moons. And I guess then half moons. And another dexterity Frank to turn the B to an A...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Put five hours into thus today. It is absolutely fucking legit and I love it. The movement, the aesthetic, that weapon system. The body upgrades.

Bastard hard too, died like 4 times in the first proper area. Can't parry for shit but a qell timed dodge is still highly effective. Having to keep range more and time attacks

Actually surprised its not a FROM game its that close.
  • Sadly it doesn't have the touch.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What touch? Already feels better than DS3 and Sekiro.
  • It's missing a lot of that FromSoft finesse. Too many systems, not enough actual reward from them. Technically very proficient graphics but not really the same level of artistry. All of the written and spoken text is just... off, in part owing to its translation I am sure, but also partly due to a lack of flair or panache - it doesn't read like stuff you'd read in world, but on a wiki.

I'm on the last boss now and the last half has more been obligation than real joy. The combat is fine, and would be a lot better if the stagger bar on enemies was visible, and they didn't have such inflated health bars. 

It has all the worst parts of DS3 and Elden Ring in it too, enemy wind ups that are delayed incredibly long before the attack spits out in a handful of frames - the worst part of From enemy design in my eyes. Form the mid point most bosses had me reaching for the AI companions long before I could be bothered to memorise their oblique chains of attacks. Even with a parry that feels and sounds good, just like Wo Long, Sekiro it ain't. The rhythm isn't there.

Glad I spent time with it, and it isn't bad, but it hasn't really raised the dial like Elden Ring or Sekiro.
  • While I'm at it... weapon durability that needs topping up in longer fights is a massive drag.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the rest of it, other people have it in their Game of the Year contention, but it ain't for me dawg.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Thank you for your thoughts as ever sir. As a Sekiro diskiker it'll probably sing a bit more to me, I'll post actual thoughts once done.
  • I'm somewhere in between. It's very Souls/BB/Sekiro to begin with, making it easy to get into if you've played those. But the more you play, the more you notice the little differences, and I think some of them work and some don't.

The linearity of it is probably it's biggest weakness for me. Most of the individual areas are well designed, but there's nowhere else to go when a boss is getting on your nerves, if you want an extra boost or a break.
  • Don't get me wrong, I felt it was mostly pretty good, I just think it has the markings of a studio of people truly in love with Souls to the point they can't really bring themselves to kill their darlings. Instead they've kept everything with critically approaching any of it, and layered even more systems on.

Minor stat improvement stuff is my least favourite part of Souls, and here you've got that, and then a bunch of things muddying and obfuscating it further: weapon building with stat-tuning cranks, four defensive slots, legion arms, wish cube, and so on.

The worst part is P-organ levelling (no sniggering in the back) which has a dizzying amount of combinations with absolutely no numbers attached to them, the end result of which has me scratching my head trying to work out if one of the 100 things I can add to these slots are any good or not. I just have to trust that if it says it raises something it's actually good - some of them might not even be doing anything for how trivial they appear to be in the game, and because bosses and enemies are always aggressively tuned it all seems rather arbitrary anyway.

All of this results in me thinking: What's actually changing how things work: the fact my Technique Stat is at 30, or the fact that my weapon is now S Scaling? Or is it the upgrades I made in the P-organ, or is it the fact I upgraded the blade to 10+, or swapped to handy XYZ? Too many variables, absolutely no viable feedback anywhere.

Ultimately I don't know much any of it is adding to the experience. I mostly muddled by with one or two weapons, with the nagging suspicion there's a better combo out there but with the typical Souls resource crush preventing true experimentation. It's not as freeing as Elden Ring or as focussed as Sekiro and sitting in the middle really harms it.

Also this last boss has second stage that is a premier cunt of a fight and I think I am probably done with it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Agree with all that fwiw

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!